Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Same Sex Marriage Referendum Mega Thread Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I'm more of the opinion that having open discussion on their views, and giving them the opportunity to explain their ill-informed views whilst having them listen to where they are wrong, is the best way to approach them. Denying them the opportunity to express their views will only encourage a siege mentality, and that is a bad thing when >30% of the country don't believe that homosexuals should be treated just like everyone else.

I don't think you've been following my posts too well if you think I deny anyone the opportunity to express their views. They have the right to express their views, the same way I have a right to express mine about those views. The people I am referring to have absolutely no interest in discussion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I'm more of the opinion that having open discussion on their views, and giving them the opportunity to explain their ill-informed views whilst having them listen to where they are wrong, is the best way to approach them. Denying them the opportunity to express their views will only encourage a siege mentality, and that is a bad thing when >30% of the country don't believe that homosexuals should be treated just like everyone else.

What they think or why they think it doesn't matter any more.

They lost. They had their chance to make their argument during the campaign and at the polling booths yesterday and they lost.

Their opinion is irrelevant at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Zemuppet wrote: »
    Just looking through US news websites, surprise surprise fox news is the only one without it the story on their front page. Christ even msnbc news site has Panti as its main headline

Im surprised, I was expecting "Obama attempts to destroy Christianity in Ireland"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Leo looking particularly hot in his civvies on RTE 1....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Donegal south west- scraped through with just .05% Yes margin :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

33 votes!

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    33 votes!

I was genuinely expecting an out and out no so I'll take the scrape by and settle for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

sup_dude wrote: »
    I don't think you've been following my posts too well if you think I deny anyone the opportunity to express their views. They have the right to express their views, the same way I have a right to express mine about those views. The people I am referring to have absolutely no interest in discussion.

Ok but you said you won't listen to it, which if a person is trying to explain their views, is denying them the opportunity to be heard. A lot of the people I referring to have no problem engaging in open discussion, but unfortunately, a lot of people have no interest in listening to their opinion.

Homophobes, racists, sexists etc. can become more tolerant like the rest of society, but only if we stop them from entering into a siege mentality. The only way to combat racism, homophobia and sexism is by entering open and frank discussion, allowing both sides to explain their views, and hopefully they will see where they are going wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

wakka12 wrote: »
    Id like to see an age group analysis of the results. You'd think that it was the 18-26/27 age group who scooped this win due to about 90%+ of them being in favour of it,and that'd be amazing! Young people shaping the future and all.. but it'd be a nice surprise to see if there was a larger support from the older generations than you'd think..a country more unified on the issue

Not sure anything like this would be possible though. The votes are anonymous and there were no exit polls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

murpho999 wrote: »
    Well it's normal for victims of discrimination to stop being victims when discrimination ends.

They will still be victims. They can still be fired from schools and hospitals simply for being gay if the schools/hospitals have a religious ethos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Here we go...official result on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Could somebody please send some maths students and an abacus down to Cork ASAP, please-and-thank-you.

Edit, NM, someone must have turned up with a calculator.

They will still be victims. They can still be fired from schools and hospitals simply for being gay if the schools/hospitals have a religious ethos.

Don't accept this as it's totally illegal.

Ok but you said you won't listen to it, which if a person is trying to explain their views, is denying them the opportunity to be heard. A lot of the people I referring to have no problem engaging in open discussion, but unfortunately, a lot of people have no interest in listening to their opinion.

Homophobes, racists, sexists etc. can become more tolerant like the rest of society, but only if we stop them from entering into a siege mentality. The only way to combat racism, homophobia and sexism is by entering open and frank discussion, allowing both sides to explain their views, and hopefully they will see where they are going wrong.

No, again, you're reading my posts wrong. I won't listen to the vileness that they're spewing. They have no interest in explaining it further than vileness. If you've been following these threads, you will notice that I always asked for an explanation for opposing opinions and always gave them a chance to explain.

I don't think you realise the power of the concept of normality.

I was genuinely expecting an out and out no so I'll take the scrape by and settle for it!

oh indeed- it's just such a close margin, it goes to show, every vote can count; even if it doesn't make a difference to the overall result either way, I'm sure there are some people in that area tonight, proud that they helped to get a "yes" vote for that constituency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

wakka12 wrote: »
    What exactly do they mean when they say we should think about the 700,000 who voted no? Like yes thats a lot of people but theyre still a minority, the majority of people don't agree with them. And this is a democracy so the laws changing, so what dot hey expect:confused:

And they are only a minority on a single issue . Furthermore it is a loss that costs them nothing unlike the 1st divorce referendum when there was a much bigger minority and thousands of men and women were trapped in loveless marriages for another 10 years .

**** 'em , I for one am in no mood at least for the next few days to be gracious in victory .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

No, again, you're reading my posts wrong. I won't listen to the vileness that they're spewing. They have no interest in explaining it further than vileness. If you've been following these threads, you will notice that I always asked for an explanation for opposing opinions and always gave them a chance to explain.

I don't think you realise the power of the concept of normality.

So is it insults you ignore or non-abusive expressions of racism or homophobia? or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

oh indeed- it's just such a close margin, it goes to show, every vote can count; even if it doesn't make a difference to the overall result either way, I'm sure there are some people in that area tonight, proud that they helped to get a "yes" vote for that constituency.

I am one off those proud people 😉

Bloody hell you'd think RTE would have extended coverage of this. Just go off air as soon as the result is announced.

So is it insults you ignore or non-abusive expressions of racism or homophobia? or both?

I've already answered this on more than one occasion. Other people have explained it to you too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

As John B Keane once said "Arise Knocknagoshel and take your place among the nations of the world."

We could put Ireland in there for Knocknagoshel.

Great day for Ireland and we still have the Eurovision to look forward to later on tonight.

As am I :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Bloody hell you'd think RTE would have extended coverage of this. Just go off air as soon as the result is announced.

Blame the langers in Cork taking so bloody long!

Worth waiting for though!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The million euro challenge is more important

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

The big Ole Ole Ole on Tv3 was class. I'm genuinely delighted and proud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Meanwhile it's the lead headline on Sky News amongst others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

What a time to be Irish. I've been a wreck all day.

As am I :D

ah right, so now we're gonna have 1/2 a million Donegal people in the next while claim credit for that outcome! :D:D:P

Well done!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

Ah, ffs.. would you not think rte would have some sort of coverage after the result.. show the celebrations..

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    The big Ole Ole Ole on Tv3 was class. I'm genuinely delighted and proud.

Vincent Browne really does know how to put on a good show:P

• Advertisement

I have never smoked so many cigarettes all day! I was so nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

TV3.

Ah, ffs.. would you not think rte would have some sort of coverage after the result.. show the celebrations..

It annoys me that I have to switch to a foreign channel for coverage of a major Irish story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

I can't help but be reminded of when Panti won the 'person of the year' award whey she quipped 'don't worry ppl of roscommon, things will get better'. She obviously knows Roscommon well !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

wedding photographers are minted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Shame TV3 geo blocked their coverage so I couldn't tune in. Vincent and Bosco in the George sounds like a perfect acid trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just caught the end of tv3's coverage Vincent Brown just didn't seem like the right presenter for it, but fairly progressive of them to get a drag queen co-host.

Fair play to everyone who did the right thing and saw through the deflection and bullsh*t arguments put forth by the no side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Great news. A No result would have been a travesty.

Go Ireland! I'll raise a glass to Oscar Wilde this evening in his memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Aineoil wrote: »
    I have never smoked so many cigarettes all day! I was so nervous.

Why nervous? it was never going to be anything but a resounding yes vote.

I just can't wait for this to be over now, I was in favor of the yes vote but the way the yes crowd and campaign carried on during this whole thing has been appalling and incredibly annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Never been happier to rip up a betting docket

colossus-x wrote: »
    I can't help but be reminded of when Panti won the 'person of the year' award whey she quipped 'don't worry ppl of roscommon, things will get better'. She obviously knows Roscommon well !

Maybe Panti does? But why were Roscommon off the mark?

Some people have alluded to lack of canvassing as an issue. I live in Clare and no one came to my door to canvass.

I just felt like this (facebook post from yesterday)

"Just about an hour of voting left in the Irish referendum on same sex

marriage. The referendum is about equality, it's not about adoption ,

surrogacy or other issues the "no's" and the undecideds are talking about.

If your deep feelings are to vote no, I understand that. But just hear

me out on this. My son's best friend is lesbian (both 17). It was very difficult

for her to tell her parents. Thankfully her parents were and are very

supportive of her. Who am I to tell her that she has no right to marriage

when my son, who is heterosexual has? To deny the youth of Ireland equality

is just wrong. The referendum won't affect me but my vote will."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I heard that Ashers bakery have a sale on now for humble pie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Just so amazed and happy right now.

I've spent years debating this stuff...I'm so happy no one here will ever have to go through that again.

Thank you everybody!

TV3.

Nothing on there either, more like a foreign channel anyway...Britain's got Talent the whole night!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

I'm not gay myself and I'm not even a huge fan of marriage but I voted Yes and quite honestly I think it's one of the proudest days I've ever spent as an Irish person so congratulations to our homosexual citizens, marry away :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AbeZeller

Well done comrades, with each passing day we learn that the Gentiles are brainless sheep and will believe anything we tell them. It was necessary to say that the institution of marriage will not change, but that was a lie. The institution of marriage is going to change and it should change. And again, I believe it should not exist.

By liberating the masses and giving them endless sexual 'rights' we can take their economic & political freedom before their very eyes and they will do nothing about it. They will live under the illusion that they are free. Soon children, the world will be ours and the Gentiles, being mere excrements of animals, will possess nothing.

Why nervous? it was never going to be anything but a resounding yes vote.

I was nervous because all my work colleagues were talking about voting no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Aineoil wrote: »
    I was nervous because all my work colleagues were talking about voting no.

It was never going to effect the outcome though.

It was never going to effect the outcome though.

Why?

• Advertisement
Advertisement