Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Same Sex Marriage Referendum Mega Thread Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AbeZeller

Hitchens wrote: »
    legalise pot? :)

No not yet. The next 'referendum' we will make for you will be abortion, which we will feel the Irish people are ready to accept it.

After that it will be setting in stone the multi-racial future of Ireland AKA getting Muslims & Negroes more involved with your every day life so we can become Multicultural like America. Remember it's all about equality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

sjb25 wrote: »
    Some of the comments on sky news Facebook page are hilarious :)
    Basicly we are all going to burn in hell
    This comment is my favorite what a donkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I'm hoping the next vote is to remove all power that the church currently holds.

I agree totally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

So what's the next referendum lads? :P

Cork demands to leave the state and become independant.

If you thought this referudum had loud annoying campaigners you ain't seen nothing yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Off to watch the Eurovision. Goodnight folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I'm hoping the next vote is to remove all power that the church currently holds.

same here want the church removed from everything from from the fooking angelus to schools to every tie between church and state

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Aineoil wrote: »
    Off to watch the Eurovision. Goodnight folks.
    pity Molly didn't get through :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Absolutely. At the very least they should not be in charge of schools.

You have an organisation that conducted systematic child abuse and cover ups of child abuse and somehow they are still in a very child-centric role in society.

Madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Surprised it took so long: http://www.theslicedpan.com/culture/westboro-baptist-church-ireland/294071

Pity they got the flag wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

sup_dude wrote: »
    Surprised it took so long: http://www.theslicedpan.com/culture/westboro-baptist-church-ireland/294071

Pity they got the flag wrong...

Hope God won't be unleashing his wrath on ivory coast by mistake :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Are you including all religions in this? There are Church of Ireland schools and there is a Jewish primary school in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

elfy4eva wrote: »

Hope he doesn't unleash it tommorow we will all be dying of a hang over won't be able for a rapture

You have an organisation that conducted systematic child abuse and cover ups of child abuse and somehow they are still in a very child-centric role in society.

Madness

Agreed. The Catholic Church & by extension Christianity must be destroyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Even ignoring the specific subject, days like this restore my faith in humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Any way to find out how each polling station voted?

Your best bet is to search for "marref [insert your town here]" on Twitter. My town voted 74% Yes.

fr336 wrote: »
    Even ignoring the specific subject, days like this restore my faith in humanity.

Absolutely. Equality is a must. Equality is good. Equality is a strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Breda O'Brien on the news, shouldn't she be back under a rock somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

elfy4eva wrote: »

If anything I'd be more worried about Niger and India.

Just because something's not the Irish flag doesnt make it an Ivory Coast flag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Lads I'm half cut- still grateful!

Is it true there was actually a rainbow over Dublin as the results came in? Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Is it true there was actually a rainbow over Dublin as the results came in? Madness.

A double rainbow. And in Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

According to reliable sources on Twitter that was Jesus voting yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭YurOK2

According to the crazies, that is god's way of showing he won't flood the earth again or some old shîte like that.

Yeah bet they won't be so keen to take notice of this particular "sign"! :rolleyes:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Once I heard the turnout was high in a combination of Major Cities and Towns I knew it was in the bag. Dublin, Cork and Wexford home of the 1798 patriots began reflected the national average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭United Chester Men

Gintonious wrote: »
    Breda O'Brien on the news, shouldn't she be back under a rock somewhere?

Its called a cave.................

https://c3.staticflickr.com/3/2576/3940575285_29528ee431_z.jpg?zz=1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Wow! Divorce in Ireland was legalised 140 years after Australia and 130 years after NZ. Equal marriage in Ireland was legalised 2 years after NZ and before Australia!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Loving how positive our country is being portrayed on the international stage :).

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Madness

As a practicing catholic I actually agree with this, the reason being it forces people to take part in religious ceremonies and sacraments neither they nor their parents believe in and ends up undermining their "value" for those of use who do actually believe in them.

Unfortunately doing this will cost money and it's something the Government is short on at the moment (I doubt a 5% increase in taxes to facilitate this would be well received!)

More important though congratulations to the Yes side, enjoy the victory Can i make one request though, can people please lay off the people who voted no - there's some awful (and quite hurtful) comments being made about them and it's not fair. Granted some of them voted against it because they are @sshole but i know others who did because they have a somewhat traditional view of marriage and the family and they see this as a threat to their beliefs. It has nothing to do with any "issue" they have with gay people. Ok the majority don't agree with them and they'll accept the democratic process but can I ask people to at least be civil.

One last thing (and i genuinely don't mean this to detract from the yes sides victory, congrats again and enjoy it) I don't believe equality has been achieved, the constitution still has marriage as the foundation of what a family is. There a numerous people who are committed to each other have children etc but have not chosen to get married (for various different reasons). These can more satisfy the definition of a family than plenty who are married yet the state grants them no protection and this referendum won't change that. To me this referendum was a popularist rather than a genuine attempt to address societal inequality. This is something I would have preferred to see. For what it's worth I voted yes (if that's what influences my eternal damnation I'll be surprises ... there're so many other reason why I'm on the highway to hell ;) ), while it doesn't go as far and i would like it is a step along the way and one I'm happy to support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

The agony of bigots all over the world is the icing on this sweet sweet cake.

Anyone else feel the term 'straight' is outdated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Just seen a graphic for "Countries that Allow SSM" and Ireland is coloured in...cue the tears again :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Spare a thought for all the money and man hours poured into the No failure campaign. All in vain.

At least Paddy Manning and Keith Mills have made some money and lined their own pockets out of it. No such thing as bad publicity. (see Jordan, Miley Cyrus, Kim Kardashian etc etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

God imagine how ****ing depressing and gloomy it'd feel right now if it didn't pass...headlines everywhere all over the world, compounding our religious conservative stereotype in everyones minds..shudder

Delighted for the outcome today. Great result folks enjoy the night and live long and prosper :)

As a straight male i suppose the outcome of the vote wouldnt effect myself either way but there was no way i was going to deny my friends, my family, my fellow irish men and women, and future generations of my family equal rights. Great day to be irish.

Ireland is a changing nation with each and every day and thank fúck for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    Wow! Divorce in Ireland was legalised 140 years after Australia and 130 years after NZ. Equal marriage in Ireland was legalised 2 years after NZ and before Australia!

Only a matter of time before we beat your lot in rugby too ;)

wakka12 wrote: »
    God imagine how ****ing depressing and gloomy it'd feel right now if it didn't pass...headlines everywhere all over the world, compounding our religious conservative stereotype in everyones minds..shudder

Let them worry about themselves Wakka. We now have equal rights on our own doorstep for all of our citizens. If it didnt come to pass then at least we'd have honoured democracy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

iDave wrote: »
    Only a matter of time before we beat your lot in rugby too ;)

After today, I'd almost believe that! But not quite! And anyway, even if you did it'd be because of the Kiwi coach ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Do you think they might introduce gay and lesbian Sean No solo singing in the Fleadh Cheoill competitions at the Sligo Fleadh this year. :pac:

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Let them worry about themselves Wakka. We now have equal rights on our own doorstep for all of our citizens. If it didnt come to pass then at least we'd have honoured democracy

Ah now we don't all have equal rights....the single daddy's are still Scum.....delighted for the result today though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Ah now we don't all have equal rights....the single daddy's are still Scum.....delighted for the result today though.

John? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Voted yes and have been for this from the outset. At this stage am glad the country can move on and am a bit tired of all the political posturing from the past 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Every step towards equality makes it easier for the next group of people. Get a campaign started, we'll all be behind you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joe912

well If they are white Christian males they are not entitled to any rights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joe912

With 40% of the vote going to the no side and no irish political party representing their views and nobody from within any of these parties representing those views. The government in the polls are showing less than 40% some democracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

joe912 wrote: »
    With 40% of the vote going to the no side and no irish political party representing their views and nobody from within any of these parties representing those views. The government in the polls are showing less than 40% some democracy.

Yes, people voting on an issue like gay marriage is the exact opposite of democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

People got to vote on it themselves, everyone got a chance to put forward their opinion. That less than 40% got their voice heard, it was the minority.

If people want a government that is against rights for gay people then they should have voted for one in the last GE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This is not and should not be about politics. Basic civil rights should have been in the constitution from the start. Most people realised this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Who is stopping those 40% from forming a party and trying to get elected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

DEMONS WILL COME TOMORROW TO BRING US ALL TO HELL, BUT KARL MARX AND TED BUNDY ARE IN FRONT OF THE LINE

• Advertisement
Advertisement