Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Same Sex Marriage Referendum Mega Thread Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Hah! Sawfish don't need a mammy and a daddy: http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn27636-sawfish-is-first-vertebrate-known-to-clone-itself-in-the-wild.html#.VW2LbmCd7G4

(I didn't even know sawfish existed before today!)

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Vivisectus

VinLieger wrote: »
    Huh? Its not like they seal town and only allow you in after a gay check.

I always attend it, nobody is stopping you if you arent gay. If enything its encouraged that everyone get involved and take part, its also a great chance for close minded people, maybe like yourself, to have a chance to meet some of "the gays" and find out they are just real normal people like everyone else

That can backfire :)

One person I know was still firmly in the closet when he went to his first gay pride parade in the USA. It was the familiar story - he was a bit worried about what he was feeling, it made him a little defensive about homosexuality to the point that he could be rather homophobic. He is a complex character growing up in a fairly gay-averse environment, so this is not easy to accept and figure out.

So this guy goes to the parade, and just looks at the floats. Not at all the gay people around him.

So he sees lots of people in outrageous costumes generally behaving a bit boisterous. Drag queens, leather afficionados, various people who enjoy showing off that they go to the gym a lot - the whole spectrum from feathers to leather comes up, so to speak. Sure- there are also just people from different organisations marching. But the outrageous stuff is what he remembers.

It scared the living shoite out of him. He did not peep out of that closet for years after that, poor guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

traprunner wrote: »
    Has the apocalypse happened?

Worse than that. I just discovered I have no coffee and the nearest shop when I can buy drinkable coffee is a 20 minute drive away.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Vivisectus wrote: »

One person I know was still firmly in the closet when he went to his first gay pride parade in the USA. It was the familiar story - he was a bit worried about what he was feeling, it made him a little defensive about homosexuality to the point that he could be rather homophobic. He is a complex character growing up in a fairly gay-averse environment, so this is not easy to accept and figure out.

So this guy goes to the parade, and just looks at the floats. Not at all the gay people around him.

So he sees lots of people in outrageous costumes generally behaving a bit boisterous. Drag queens, leather afficionados, various people who enjoy showing off that they go to the gym a lot - the whole spectrum from feathers to leather comes up, so to speak. Sure- there are also just people from different organisations marching. But the outrageous stuff is what he remembers.

It scared the living shoite out of him. He did not peep out of that closet for years after that, poor guy.

Pride is like St Patricks Day Parade. Its an exaggerated celebration of who we are. All irish people aren't dressed as leprachauns all day, every day. People dressed as St Patrick don't roam the streets. Take the parade as face value, its a spectacle and a show.

There are however other parts of pride, the plays, the music festivals, the talks. I'm gay, and i don't attend the parade, but I do attend other events thats associated with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Worse than that. I just discovered I have no coffee and the nearest shop when I can buy drinkable coffee is a 20 minute drive away.

:eek:

Oh noes!! Worst day ever!!!

• Advertisement

Zhane wrote: »
    Pride is like St Patricks Day Parade. Its an exaggerated celebration of who we are. All irish people aren't dressed as leprachauns all day, every day. People dressed as St Patrick don't roam the streets. Take the parade as face value, its a spectacle and a show.

There are however other parts of pride, the plays, the music festivals, the talks. I'm gay, and i don't attend the parade, but I do attend other events thats associated with it.

Hey I rather like gay pride parades. I am just sharing a tragi-comic anecdote about someone I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Hey I rather like gay pride parades. I am just sharing a tragi-comic anecdote about someone I know.

Im not saying you didn't like them. :eek: No offence meant, sorry.

I was just adding my view on them. lol

Yes, well now I am going to be wondering what it would be like if people dressed like both gay pride and patricks days parades all the time, and reality is going to be terribly disappointing by comparison from now on and that is all your fault!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

Ok. But as far as I'm aware it's still called LGBT Pride, which by definition, does not include those who are not LGBT. How about calling it Irish Pride just for this year.

It's almost as bas as the St Patrick's day parade. I wanted to go last year, but since I'm not a Saint called Patrick I obviously wasn't welcome. :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

floggg wrote: »
    It's almost as bas as the St Patrick's day parade. I wanted to go last year, but since I'm not a Saint called Patrick I obviously wasn't welcome. :mad::mad:

You don't have to be an alcoholic to go to the St. Patrick's day - they won't check your blood alcohol level when you go into town. You can go in and enjoy the day and see that alkies are people just like everyone else!

• Advertisement

Yea, but that's his own issues - not Pride's.

His focus will always be on the part that makes him uncomfortable, until he learns to get over it.

I say that as somebody who used to feel the exact same way. But that was my ****, and I needed to get over it. The rest of the LGBT community shouldn't have to curb themselves in the meantime.

You don't have to be an alcoholic to go to the St. Patrick's day - they won't check your blood alcohol level when you go into town. You can go in and enjoy the day and see that alkies are people just like everyone else!

It certainly helps though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

Kalman wrote: »
    To others looking in, it does seem rather odd. Seemingly, women in Ireland have less rights then homosexuals >>>that I find bizarre.

One battle at a time is enough to deal with, or as my dad used to say, 'one at a time's good fishing'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The lovely boys in the church are mourning the loss of catholic ireland
    The leader of the Catholic Church in Ireland has said the Church felt a sense of “bereavement” at the result of last month’s marriage equality referendum.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/archbishop-eamon-martin-church-is-bereaved-by-yes-vote-334298.html

Their share price is falling, so Catholic inc is a bit sad.

Never mind guys, you can still peddle your bigotry in the uneducated and superstitious parts of the world. For a while anyway before science and technology bring free education and access to the world wide web to all the people of the world

A nice plus due to the marriage referendum passing. There will no longer be forced divorces. That should soften the cough of the religious no voters. ;)

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/gender-recognition-bill-will-drop-forced-divorce-clause-1.2235695

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

A nice plus due to the marriage referendum passing. There will no longer be forced divorces. That should soften the cough of the religious no voters. ;)

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/gender-recognition-bill-will-drop-forced-divorce-clause-1.2235695
    I can hear the sounds of brains exploding echoing throughout the learned 'institutes' of ireland

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Akrasia wrote: »
    I can hear the sounds of brains exploding echoing throughout the learned 'institutes' of ireland

Ah, if only this came to light during the campaign, David Quinn would have been telling us that if the referendum passes there'll be people transitioning just for the craic of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭Daith

Ah, if only this came to light during the campaign, David Quinn would have been telling us that if the referendum passes there'll be people transitioning just for the craic of it.

Ha yes that was the most mystifying Quinn thing ever.

Two male friends will now be able to marry and the one can transition. Vote No!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Out of largely idle curiosity, does anyone have any idea the likely timescale on this, as against the marriage legislation per se?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,182 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Akrasia wrote: »

Mebbe they'll be happy that divorce rate won't climb...

Meantime from Germany, Iona-speak echoes.... http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/06/03/german-minister-says-same-sex-marriage-will-have-consequences-like-incest/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

http://www.thejournal.ie/ballina-priest-2139351-Jun2015/
    A CATHOLIC PRIEST in Ballina, Co Mayo dedicated both weekend homilies to calling out the members of his congregation who had voted Yes in the referendum on same-sex marriage on 22 May.

Fr Tom Doherty, the curate of the parish who was ordained in November 2013, told the congregation that people who voted Yes had given ‘two fingers’ to the Catholic Church.

He used the analogy of ‘barbarians at the gate’ to describe the result of the vote, and spoke about the ‘immorality’ of the referendum.

Lovely stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Out of largely idle curiosity, does anyone have any idea the likely timescale on this, as against the marriage legislation per se?

I expect GR legislation to be passed in the next 2-3 weeks

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

osarusan wrote: »

Difficult to know what his problem is considering the Church doesn't even recognise civil marriage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Is that optimism or is that a realistic timeframe?

Listening to RTE 1 Sean O'Rourke interview with Sam Blankensee now

Down under, an RC church bishop is talking about the children of same sex couples being the next stolen generation in Australia. http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/06/04/bishop-says-australian-children-of-gay-couples-next-stolen-generation/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

aloyisious wrote: »
    Listening to RTE 1 Sean O'Rourke interview with Sam Blankensee now

Down under, an RC church bishop is talking about the children of same sex couples being the next stolen generation in Australia. http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/06/04/bishop-says-australian-children-of-gay-couples-next-stolen-generation/

Don't do it to yourself. The job is done here on our shores, don't be wading through the same cesspit in other countries' news now, it's not good for the mental health. ;)

Don't do it to yourself. The job is done here on our shores, don't be wading through the same cesspit in other countries' news now, it's not good for the mental health. ;)

Ta for the thought, the church is tearing itself away from the people, not the other way around TG. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

aloyisious wrote: »
    "... we’ll take a path that suits Germany.”
    Through Poland?

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭Daith

Franfurts way not Irelands!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Daith wrote: »
    Franfurts way not Irelands!
    huh?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/legal-bids-to-challenge-same-sex-marriage-result-due-1.2237552

Two separate applications for leave to bring petitions challenging the result of the referendum clearing the way for same-sex marriage here will come before the High Court on Friday.
    Both matters are due to come before the president of the High Court, Mr JusticeNicholas Kearns, and both applicants, should they get leave to bring their petitions, are seeking injunctions preventing the issuing of a certificate verifying the referendum result pending the outcome of their proceedings.
    One challenge has been initiated by Gerry Walshe, an electrician, from Lisdeen Road, Co Clare, while the second is brought by Maurice J Lyons, a gardener, with an address atCallan, Co Kilkenny.
    ‘Not fair or impartial’
    It is understood the grounds of Mr Walshe’s challenge, brought against Ireland and the Attorney General, the referendum returning officer and the Referendum Commission, include a claim that the referendum process was not fair or impartial in relation to monies spent.
    It is understood Mr Lyons will argue the proposed amendment to the Constitution would introduce uncertainty into the Constitution and cannot lawfully be approved.
    It is also believed he will argue the proposed amendment conflicts with the centrality of the Christian ethos of the Constitution.
    The May 22nd referendum proposal allowing for same-sex marriage was supported by 62.07 per cent of voters, 1,201,607 million people, while 734,300 (37.93 per cent) voted against. Voter turnout was 60.52 per cent.
    Fast-track legislation
    The Government recently announced it will fast-track legislation to allow for same-sex marriage by early autumn.
    Minister for Justice Frances Fitzgerald said she intends to have the Marriage Bill 2015, on which work had begun prior to the referendum, enacted by the end of July.
    Under the Referendum Act 1994, a petition challenging a referendum result may only be brought with leave of the High Court.
    In its judgment earlier this year dismissing a challenge by Dublin woman Joanna Jordanto the 2012 Children’s Referendum, the Supreme Court clarified the test which must be met for a challenge to a referendum or election result to succeed.
    In dealing with Ms Jordan’s claim that the test set out in the 1994 Referendum Act requiring that a person challenging a referendum result must prove that unconstitutional conduct “materially affected” the outcome, the court set a new test for considering whether there was material effect.
    That test stipulates that “material affect” on the outcome of a referendum involves establishing whether it is “reasonably possible that the irregularity or interference identified affected the result”.
    The object of the test was to identify the point at which it can be said that “a reasonable person could be in no doubt about, and no longer trust, the provisional outcome of the election or referendum”.

Hopefully the part “a reasonable person could be in no doubt about, and no longer trust, the provisional outcome of the election or referendum” is seen by the High Court as reasonable cause to say NO to the petition requests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Dont know how these two applications did not get reported in the media before this, but glad that sense prevails.

Thankfully now the No side have been told by the courts that they only represent 16% of the people!!! :D

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/challenge-to-same-sex-marriage-result-rejected-1.2238655

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I'd be interested to know who was going to fund these applications if they'd made it to the high court. It's not cheap to go there and public monies can't be used. One of the applicants was a gardener, so where was he going to produce the €€€€ to follow through with a high court case?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Well, I heard there was this billionaire Irish-American pizza tycoon who's in Opus Dei.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Anyone know where I can watch Suing The Pope online?

Well, I heard there was this billionaire Irish-American pizza tycoon who's in Opus Dei.

Allegedly in Opus Dei. Certainly a knight in one of the makey-uppy Catholic quasi-state entities, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Anyone know where I can watch Suing The Pope online?

I heard there was this site that was totally kick-ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Meesared wrote: »
    Is that optimism or is that a realistic timeframe?

It's at the final stages and the Oireachtas will shortly rise for Summer recess

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 397 ✭✭Blahblah2012

Thankfully now the No side have been told by the courts that they only represent 16% of the people!!! :D

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/challenge-to-same-sex-marriage-result-rejected-1.2238655

I'm looking to marry my horse(and it's a he....that I lurrrrrrvvvvvvve)...a cracker..I'll expect YOUR votes. EQUALITY FOR ALL!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I'm looking to marry my horse(and it's a he....that I lurvvvvvvve)...a cracker..I'll expect YOUR votes. EQUALITY FOR ALL!!!

It's really weird how so many opponents of marriage equality are obsessed with the idea of marrying animals.

RayM wrote: »
    It's really weird how so many opponents of marriage equality are obsessed with the idea of marrying animals.

Is there a problem with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Is there a problem with that?

Can your horse consent to marriage? That's your problem right there. It'll never be a stable relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I'll be voting NO.

Bloody gays.

RayM wrote: »
    Can your horse consent to marriage? That's your problem right there. It'll never be a stable relationship.

Would regular riding count for consent?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Would regular riding count for consent?
    Neigh.

KungPao wrote: »
    I'll be voting NO.

You will be? Have you by any chance overslept your alarm by a fortnight or so?

KungPao wrote: »
    Neigh.

EXACTLY

• Advertisement
Advertisement