Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Same Sex Marriage Referendum Mega Thread Part 2

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Our Lady

Are there enough lemons in Ireland at the moment for people like you?

Is their enough bum holes for people like you ?

People are entitled to their opinions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

Bacchus wrote: »
    I'm not huffy. I'm in a great mood and I'm chilled :) The "really" was just because the posts I quoted were literally a few posts above mine yet you couldn't see them. Nothing more to it than that.

I'm in a good mood here too, it's a great day for the country. It's a better country than it was yesterday. I'm only half looking at my laptop tbh. Following the coverage on the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Little Kiwi has not been collected by his new gay parents yet, so we are stuck in tonight. But have champagne and fillet steak in the fridge! Would love to be at Dublin Castle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

To all those who voted no or are unhappy. Just look at all the love around Dublin castle ...let their love envelope you ..it will I promise :-)

Or don't. On this topic, at least, your deeply unpleasant opinion no longer counts.

If you don't agree with gay marriage, don't marry someone of the same gender as yourself. Problem solved.

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Our Lady wrote: »

Ha ha, wow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

LordSutch wrote: »
    We have had Sky news on in reception all day, and every time I walk past, the screen is as posted above!

Are there no other politicians available today?

shatter ,collins ,norris and loads more ff /fg tds.senators on the vincent brown live show from the george bar , im watching it the last hour and vinny brown is doing me proud even if they put me off my tea having shatter head on there:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Im glad to be 1 of the 494 thousand that voted no so far, wont see too many no voters around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Cerveja

Booing is just a way of showing they disagree with how the vote went; if you were at a match & your team conceded a goal, you would hardly cheer for it would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

It must be bitter-sweet being gay and living in Roscommon/South Leitrim today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Diarmuid Martin on the news now. He looks like he wants to have a bit of a cry.

He looks like he was caught doing something. Zero confidence.

Being a clergyman in Ireland used to be a cushy number but those days are gone forever. You can see it in Diarmuid's eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It must be bitter-sweet being gay and living in Roscommon/South Leitrim today.
    A gay mate of mine is actually from Roscommon. Don't think he'll care, really. It's not as if he's in the closet and he's not one to suffer fools. His family and friends are supportive of him, that's all that matters to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Im glad to be 1 of the 494 thousand that voted no so far, wont see too many no voters around here.

Why would you be glad if you lost and what do you want people here to say to you?

People are celebrating an historic decision today. Why try and spoil it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I have followed this mega thread but didn't really have much to add on the debate side - just to say it was a referendum for equality and I'm delighted the majority of Irish citizens voted yes.

People had their reasons I'm sure to vote either way/spoil or not to vote at all. But it's a democratic outcome and one for the better - equal rights for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

MrWalsh wrote: »
    I'll be delighted to see an end to the type of thinly veiled homophobia that has been so prolific on boards.ie and other websites for the past couple of months.

As I will be delighted to see an end to the labelling of everyone who voted NO as a bigot or homophobe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I didn't care for the vote until today and seeing people reaction. I vote every time but I never go out to vote. For me voting yesterday was an extra two minutes (shoutout to small rural polling stations.) It was something to do during my lunch, I just didn't care.

Seeing the reaction of people here, in Dublin and on Facebook made me realize that the action I took yesterday with one hand, worrying more about my sandwich was something that can't be measured. The happiness it has brought people made me feel sad and selfish.

Today I learned the importance of this vote and I'm sorry for not learning sooner and supporting the yes movement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Proudest day of my life.

People are entitled to their opinions!

reported to the mods you deserve a ban for that:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Great day for the country. The last week or so I was getting a bit worried that the no side might scrape a win with their bs and lies.

Cant wait for the posters to come down. I have 3 vote no signs right in front of my apartment that piss me off everytime I look out my window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Are there no other Irish politicians available today?

Sky News - Gerry Adams = Screaming crowds = Yes vote!

Brilliant publicity coup for Adams and Sinn Fein, either by design or by luck?

Couldn't even enjoy the day for what it is without having a whinge about Sinn Fein. You're completely obsessed. Pathetic.

This story is making huge news around the world for Ireland.

It's trending in Wordwide Twiiter feeds as well as most countries in Europe, USA , Peru, Chile, Singapore, Australia & New Zealand and even UAE.

Have read a few articles that describe Ireland as religious and conservative despite taking a radical and liberal step today.

Seems hard to shake off people's stereotypes it seems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Is it bad that I'm looking for a tight margin in Cork, Clare, Kerry, Cavan and Monaghan? I've got a few euros on under 61.5%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

sjb25 wrote: »
    Roscommon South Leitrim votes NO only place in the country awkward......

I'm from there and took a half day from work in Dublin to go home and vote yes. It is embarrassing that we are the only ones to have a majority no, but we're not all like that and I can't say the result was a surprise.

I will say this - a lot of the young people have left there to either go abroad or to bigger cities with opportunities (like myself). Other young would-be yes voters weren't arsed taking time off work or getting off their asses to vote. Not one person in my social circle was on the no side (at least not openly). I do think the younger generation here is absolutely in line with the thinking of the rest of the country. It's the older generations here who secured the no vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Woah, I missed a lot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

You do realise that Sky News play the same footage on a loop most of the time?

Vincent Browne in "The George", who'd have expected that!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Great, as an uninvolved , fairly disinterested yes voter, I'm quite content, and now hoping never,ever,ever, as long as I live , ever having to listen to the views and opinions on the subject of any of the following attention whores: Panti o'toole or whatever he / she is called, john Watters,una mullaly,any bishops, whether pro or anti, yer man Quinn , any celebrity whose son, cousin, aunt or granny just came out,any politician who just realised der mite be votes in dis Oul gay business, robbie Keane, some dublin footballer ,breeda obrien,some cork hurler,some yuan fella who emigrated to London ten years ago .......or even Uncle Tom Cobley ............

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Cavan-Monaghan just shaded a Yes vote. 50.6%. Kerry South is probably the only possible No constituency left.

Laois-Offaly 57%.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Alt J

moneyman wrote: »
    I'm from there and took a half day from work in Dublin to go home and vote yes. It is embarrassing that we are the only ones to have a majority no, but we're not all like that and I can't say the result was a surprise.

I will say this - a lot of the young people have left there to either go abroad or to bigger cities with opportunities (like myself). Other young would-be yes voters weren't arsed taking time off work or getting off their asses to vote. Not one person in my social circle was on the no side (at least not openly). I do think the younger generation here is absolutely in line with the thinking of the rest of the country. It's the older generations here who secured the no vote.

I wouldn't blame a county's people for voting no, there was yes minded people like you, the vote even do no was a majority here should not reflect the county's ideals but individuals.

Thank you for a yes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

P_1 wrote: »
    Is it bad that I'm looking for a tight margin in Cork, Clare, Kerry, Cavan and Monaghan? I've got a few euros on under 61.5%

61.7 now, hope you get it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

moneyman wrote: »

+1 Plenty of young folk from rural Ireland voting yes in our urban centers like Dublin, Cork etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

(...................)

Nice one putting Gerry up there in big font in the original.

The combination of Gerry and the Gay marriage must have ye fit to burst sutch. For jaysus sake don't click on this.

To be honest it'll be the happiest I'll be ripping up a betting slip if it's over the 61.5, a 61.4 will be a nice bonus though.

davycc wrote: »

boo hoo

Sorry for not supporting something so sinful, let those who voted no not step foot in a church again

boo hoo

Sorry for not supporting something so sinful, let those who voted yes not step foot in a church again

boo hoo

Sorry for not supporting something so sinful, let those who voted no not step foot in a church again

Quoting for posterity

• Advertisement

boo hoo

Sorry for not supporting something so sinful, let those who voted yes not step foot in a church again, hypocrites!

boo hoo

Hi new poster!

Bye new poster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

El Weirdo wrote: »
    You do realise that Sky News play the same footage on a loop most of the time?

Don't mind him, hes upset. Apparently theres only one Queen he likes.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Vincent Browne in "The George", who'd have expected that!

looks like a fantastic celebration wish i could be there myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Alt J

boo hoo

our lady, tell jaysus he worked a miracle for us today :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Nope, Dublin North just came through :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Enda will not be happy with Yes 52.02% and No 47.98% in Mayo, although even in his home town nobody likes him anyway.

Alt J wrote: »

My brother's religion teacher (who should have been fired for her behaviour...) said that she was certain God's will would sway the result... so I guess God wanted a Yes vote. Then He sent two rainbows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

boo hoo

Sorry for not supporting something so sinful, let those who voted yes not step foot in a church again

Not really a way for our lady to be carrying on shouldn't you be moving some statues and appearing to the blessed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm all over the shop today. Started tearing up in Supermacs. What a ****ing tool.

In fairness I've done the same a few times after a night out when I unwrap my Smokey Bacon Burger.

Nim wrote: »
    Nope, Dublin North just came through :)

Bittersweet, so proud of our 72.6%, rather irked for the sake of the celebratory fund wager

Alt J wrote: »

This result will not impress our Lord

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

boo hoo

Sorry for not supporting something so sinful, let those who voted yes not step foot in a church again!

Why ever not?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

murpho999 wrote: »
    This story is making huge news around the world for Ireland.

It's trending in Wordwide Twiiter feeds as well as most countries in Europe, USA , Peru, Chile, Singapore, Australia & New Zealand and even UAE.

Have read a few articles that describe Ireland as religious and conservative despite taking a radical and liberal step today.

Seems hard to shake off people's stereotypes it seems

I'd be of the view that even a 'landslide' of 70% Yes is not liberal enough to shed that label, which is often very accurate. It's about 20-30% short for such an obvious amendment. It's more than enough to get the right answer, (50.05% would be), but I wouldn't say it's a radical step to award equality to more people on any issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

boo hoo

Sorry for not supporting something so sinful, let those who voted yes not step foot in a church again, hypocrites!

You are being very silly. This is not a church thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement