Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Same Sex Marriage Referendum Mega Thread Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Well at least he can't become President just yet...

I find it a bit disturbing that the only thing he can think about when he thinks about gays is them having sex... bit perverted really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭United Chester Men

On a side note, this result could have a great effect on Dublin nightlife/tourism etc. Dublin could have a bit of a San Francisco/Amsterdam effect where a vibe has developed of a "gay friendly" city. Obviously it won't change things to such an effect as to "camp" up the city but I guarantee you there will be more gay bars/festivals in the next few years. Can only improve the tourism aspect to give us a bit more identity than shamrocks and guiness..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Our Lady wrote: »
    When you have immature kids voting in a referendum I shouldn't be surprised by this outcome, if the voting age was over 21 i don't think this would've passed

You think 26% of voters were between 18 and 21?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

MOD: Our Lade banned for trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

All churches I imagine

Honestly, how can this happen, or are you just surmising what might happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

When you have immature kids voting in a referendum I shouldn't be surprised by this outcome, if the voting age was over 21 i don't think this would've passed

Nah nah ne nah nah.

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Why didn't God stop it from passing?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Sky News having a same sex marriage debate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

sup_dude wrote: »
    I find it a bit disturbing that the only thing he can think about when he thinks about gays is them having sex... bit perverted really...

That's an odd thing you'll notice about the anti-gay crowd, regardless of whether they be Brit, Irish, Aussie or US.......a fascination with the fine and graphic detail of something they allegedly find disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,212 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

ehm. . . yes votes 1.1 million, no votes (less than) 700k.
    keep deluding yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

humanji wrote: »
    I know I'm not supposed to comment, but....

Nice one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Don't mock my fairytales

FTFY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Das Reich wrote: »
    I did feel so ashamed, then I just did remember I am not Irish anyway but will move country as some people in my country could think that's the reason I live in Ireland. Will be back in 10 years just to see people asking equality for zoofiles and pedophiles, people marrying dogs, goats. Lol. And people on other countries still think this is a catholic country, this is just another state of USA, everything they do there they want to copy here.

With all due respect bon voyage!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Don't mock my faith

I take it your bomb in Dublin Castle didn't go off as planned?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

RobertKK wrote: »
    Sky News having a same sex marriage debate...

They had to end it due to name calling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

The Bible clearly forbids it you fool

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Merces

The Bible clearly forbids it you fool

Well that's a coherent argument...sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭shane7218

Iona Institute predict the future http://i.imgur.com/lQ7WbR7.gifv

endacl wrote: »
    As Una Mullaly responded to Ronan Mullen.

"Just give it up, for one day".

Feck it. If they're posting, they're unhappy sore losers. As I posted earlier, nah nah be nah nah.

:)

Ronan Mullen has lost any election he was entered into/advocated for. He should give it up. He is lucky that he was book smart enough to get into the Seanad as he would never have been voted in by people. He got a hilarious 5% of votes in his constituency when he entered into the European Elections.

He was a terrible forefront for the NO side if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Very proud to be Irish. Myself and my girlfriend have had huge smiles on our faces looking at all the voting results. Incredible really. Just incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Bacchus wrote: »
    Really no need to be insulting Roscommon/Leitrim. This is going to pass by an overwhelming majority. There were no voters in all corners of the country, there just happened to be a few more there.

Also Ive a friend in Roscommon and she said that the Yes campaign in roscommon was pitiful. She said you'd hardly no a YEs side existed in the referendum, living in the county. Canvassing was huge in the GDA and in other bigger population centres , and that turned a lot of people on the fence towards the yes vote. Id say most people in Dublin were canvassed at home or on the street at least once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Bosco live from the George on TV3 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I did feel so ashamed, then I just did remember I am not Irish anyway but will move country as some people in my country could think that's the reason I live in Ireland. Will be back in 10 years just to see people asking equality for zoofiles and pedophiles, people marrying dogs, goats. Lol. And people on other countries still think this is a catholic country, this is just another state of USA, everything they do there they want to copy here.
    Consenting adults of the same sex marrying, would lead to rights for adults to force children/animals to marry them (although how would you force an animal to marry you in fairness): explain how. When you're ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Redser87 wrote: »
    I would go so far as to say that many people of faith voted yes BECAUSE of their belief and because they feel that voting yes is the loving thing to do. 'Love one another as I have loved you.' With such high numbers voting yes it would be unfair to say that no Christians voted yes and that all people of faith are stuck in the dark ages.

i cannot speak for all people of faith, but my husband is religious, (he even goes to mass on normal sundays) and even he voted yes, i asked him why? and he told me because his religion brings him comfort in times of stress that doesn't mean he has the right to dictate how others live their lives or gives him the right to stop them getting married.

i would imagine a lot of people feel the same way he does, that faith/religion is a personal thing that guides you in your life, and it's views shouldn't impact on those who don't follow it.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Very proud to be Irish. Myself and my girlfriend have had huge smiles on our faces looking at all the voting results. Incredible really. Just incredible.

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Only three constituencies left :)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '25 - Orbital, Supergrass

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

humanji wrote: »

Zero tolerance for different opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

El Weirdo wrote: »
    You do realise that Sky News play the same footage on a loop most of the time?

Lucky for Adams then that he was the one on the loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

I am a practicing RC who goes to mass every Sunday or sometimes a Saturday night. I voted yes simply because I have free will as do we all and voting yes was the right thing to do. I have no right to say who can be married and who can't we are all equal and todays result is great. Oh just in case anyone wonders I am happily married and have been for many years we have five grown up children

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

There's your wan off the telly bingo :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Libertewhite

You realise you're backing up a troll? His statements were said to cause upset and arguments. His name was enough to know this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Will the result be revealed on TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

boom boom mother****ers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I am a young Catholic myself and voted Yes in the marriage equality referendum. I wasn't a person who was going to listen from ridicule from the no campaign about surrogacy and all that other polluted muck about being a big sinner of the Catholic Church just because I went the opposite way on their own stance.

Young Ireland is vibrant. Young Ireland is accepting and more importantly all of Ireland, at least 18 years and older, is equal in marriage for the person they love.

And preferably it should stay that way in the long run. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

No, because of trolling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,212 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

It's about how you express your opinion.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Really no need to be insulting Roscommon/Leitrim. This is going to pass by an overwhelming majority. There were no voters in all corners of the country, there just happened to be a few more there.

I agree here. This area of the country has been most affected by emigration of young people who were at the forefront of this campaign. The constituency probably wasn't targetted by the YEs side so much as other areas and the older generation who, on the whole have their beliefs from decades of social upbringing , were more likely to vote no. It is still just about 50/50 so not extremely contreversial. But I am sure there will be a few jokes in the future about Leitrim/Roscommon so I hope it is all in good nature, as much as it can be.

Still a huge amount of No voters everywhere so you can see their campaign was strong in that they covered every ground (whatever we think about some of their tactics.................ahem) to achieve quite a strong following if you ask me considering the strength of the YES campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's a pity Ireland didn't qualify for the ultimate Gay fest that is The Eurovision tonight.

After today's result every LGBT in Europe would have voted for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Any live coverage of official result being called? looks like rte and tv3 live coverage is over

Will the result be revealed on TV?

I''m sure it'll be mentioned at some stage!

• Advertisement

Any live coverage of official result being called? looks like rte and tv3 live coverage is over

Six One News starting after the Bells!

http://www.referendum.ie/results.php?ref=10

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

On a side note, this result could have a great effect on Dublin nightlife/tourism etc. Dublin could have a bit of a San Francisco/Amsterdam effect where a vibe has developed of a "gay friendly" city. Obviously it won't change things to such an effect as to "camp" up the city but I guarantee you there will be more gay bars/festivals in the next few years. Can only improve the tourism aspect to give us a bit more identity than shamrocks and guiness..

Did you see Dublin last night? Camped up to the nines, rainbows flags on every other building nearly :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

still 2 constituncies left to be tallied afik

wakka12 wrote: »
    Did you see Dublin last night? Camped up to the nines, rainbows flags on every other building nearly :D

I am straight but I anticipate It will be some night tonight for those more emotionally involved than me!

Perhaps there will be an influx of "adoptions" nine months from tonight!!!

:D

davycc wrote: »
    still 2 constituncies left to be tallied afik

Three left. Cork East, Cork North-West and Cork South-West.

Three Cork constituencies left.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Consenting adults of the same sex marrying, would lead to rights for adults to force children/animals to marry them (although how would you force an animal to marry you in fairness): explain how. When you're ready.

Simple to explain, the things will just not stop here, in USA and Holland already have political parties and groups that wants reduction of consent sex to 12 or 8 years old, in some countries like Sweden they give books to children of 7 years old with two fathers/mothers and on the sexual education also they teach homosexual sex. In UK they have transgender children with 6 years old that take hormones to sex change.

First divorce, then abort, then same sex-marriage, then children adoption by homossexuals. Irish people have big ingenuity if they think it will finish here, let's wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Pretzill wrote: »
    With all due respect bon voyage!

That's really going to happen in much the same way the other fella is going to order a swastika cake from a Jewish bakery. Hard man talk, and total nonsense with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Is their enough bum holes for people like you ?

Stay classy Our Lady! :D:D:D

Advertisement