Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford says Yes :)

Options
  • 23-05-2015 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭

60% of those who voted, voted yes.
    Good stuff Waterford.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

A historic day for Ireland, I'm feeling so proud of Ireland today.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

just hope voters have the same enthusiasm as they did for this, for the general election. well done ireland

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    just hope voters have the same enthusiasm as they did for this, for the general election. well done ireland

I know the general elections are important but why do people insist on bringing up the general election today?

On that note though, I'm voting Fine Gael in the general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

longshanks wrote: »
    60% of those who voted, voted yes.
    Good stuff Waterford.

And you thought you where the only gay in the village.:D

I know the general elections are important but why do people insist on bringing up the general election today?

On that note though, I'm voting Fine Gael in the general election.

why bloody not? im very proud of ireland for this vote, maybe this is a major turning point for us but we have a lot more to do here. some very serious matters need to be addressed with great urgency.

i ll get the eggs. where yea living!

• Advertisement

why bloody not? im very proud of ireland for this vote, maybe this is a major turning point for us but we have a lot more to do here. some very serious matters need to be addressed with great urgency.

i ll get the eggs. where yea living!

Why do you need eggs? I'd say Fine Gael will get huge support in the next election and will be in government again.

Why do you need eggs? I'd say Fine Gael will get huge support in the next election and will be in government again.

id post some of those facepalm things if i could. i was on a bit of a high after the vote on friday but ive been hammered back to earth after today. we ve no hope as a country going by the electorate

id post some of those facepalm things if i could. i was on a bit of a high after the vote on friday but ive been hammered back to earth after today. we ve no hope as a country going by the electorate

Who would you vote for out of interest?

Who would you vote for out of interest?

very interesting question. one which id like to know myself. cant find a politician or political party that talks my language or thinks like me.

very interesting question. one which id like to know myself. cant find a politician or political party that talks my language or thinks like me.

Fine Gael have turned the country around while in power, I think they genuinely deserve more time to see more improvements.

• Advertisement

Fine Gael have turned the country around while in power, I think they genuinely deserve more time to see more improvements.

getting disturbed now. too tired to get into this im afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Tell that to thr record numbers of homeless. Over 1000 children!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Jesus wept. Never mind the widening gap between rich and poor and a national debt in ribbons, keep your short sighted blinkers on eh?

Anyway off topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

60.33% fantastic, was worried but delighted Ireland and Waterford passed it. Bit disappointing someone felt homophobic enough to climb and scrawl no over a rainbow flag on the rock.

Max Powers wrote: »
    60.33% fantastic, was worried but delighted Ireland and Waterford passed it. Bit disappointing someone felt homophobic enough to climb and scrawl no over a rainbow flag on the rock.

oh id say a big rainbow will appear there soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

People voted yes for marriage equality, but voted no for the presendial age referendum.

I wonder did people fully understand that one fully with all the commotion about marriage equality? The no vote on that has actually allowed for age discrimination to continue, which seems very hypocriticial.

hardybuck wrote: »
    People voted yes for marriage equality, but voted no for the presendial age referendum.

I wonder did people fully understand that one fully with all the commotion about marriage equality? The no vote on that has actually allowed for age discrimination to continue, which seems very hypocriticial.

dont know about you, but i was some feckin idiot at 21 so were most i knew at that age. i would not like to see the 21 year old me as president or any other 21 year old for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

I felt like that a few years ago, solution was to vote for myself, never got elected but enjoyed 2 general elections and a euro election, only problem is I'm now back where I started, can't figure who to vote for

dont know about you, but i was some feckin idiot at 21 so were most i knew at that age. i would not like to see the 21 year old me as president or any other 21 year old for that matter.

But why stop them trying to run? You still need to come through the selection process within a party, and then people need to vote for you.

We don't impose an upper age limit on that position. Our current President would have been forced to retire about 9 years ago in most other public sector roles.

Big C wrote: »
    I felt like that a few years ago, solution was to vote for myself, never got elected but enjoyed 2 general elections and a euro election, only problem is I'm now back where I started, can't figure who to vote for

a very interesting experience i would imagine. what did you learn from it? i dont think i could ever go into politics. i think id find it too stressful and probably become very frustrated at the bureaucracy of it all.

• Advertisement

But why stop them trying to run? You still need to come through the selection process within a party, and then people need to vote for you.

We don't impose an upper age limit on that position. Our current President would have been forced to retire about 9 years ago in most other public sector roles.

i can see your point alright but like anything, if theres a rule to allow something, you will eventually have somebody that challenges it and will ultimately succeed. for whatever reason george bush comes to mind here. i know he has no real use in this conversation but george bush has shown me how dangerous it is with putting the wrong person in power can be. 21 is just too young. most 21 years olds lack life experience in many ways. 35 is a good solid age. by that stage, most would have a good foothold in life. my experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

a very interesting experience i would imagine. what did you learn from it? i dont think i could ever go into politics. i think id find it too stressful and probably become very frustrated at the bureaucracy of it all.

Had some great support, the big guys hated us taking votes off them, I enjoyed the buzz of a campaign, not sure what would have happened if I'd got elected but we certainly made some politicians squirm.

Big C wrote: »
    Had some great support, the big guys hated us taking votes off them, I enjoyed the buzz of a campaign, not sure what would have happened if I'd got elected but we certainly made some politicians squirm.

thats great to hear but i do think its a very serious job and if i was elected, id like to think id take it serious. im aware, one strike of the pen can affect millions of lives in a negative way. im deeply saddened to watch what has happened this country in the last few years. im very worried about it in fact

i can see your point alright but like anything, if theres a rule to allow something, you will eventually have somebody that challenges it and will ultimately succeed. for whatever reason george bush comes to mind here. i know he has no real use in this conversation but george bush has shown me how dangerous it is with putting the wrong person in power can be. 21 is just too young. most 21 years olds lack life experience in many ways. 35 is a good solid age. by that stage, most would have a good foothold in life. my experience anyway.

In practical terms you're absolutely correct. The electorate would never elect a 21 year old. But it's still age discrimination, and I can't understand how it was overlooked.

In general, I think we had some really poor quality debate for these referenda. I think an awful lot of people didn't fully understand what they were voting on, and the constitutional impacts of the changes.

In practical terms you're absolutely correct. The electorate would never elect a 21 year old. But it's still age discrimination, and I can't understand how it was overlooked.

In general, I think we had some really poor quality debate for these referenda. I think an awful lot of people didn't fully understand what they were voting on, and the constitutional impacts of the changes.

id have to disagree with you there, as they say, never underestimate the stupidity of the electorate. keep a close eye on the next general election and you might see what im getting to here. i stand by my previous statement(s) regarding this issue.

you do pose some very interesting questions though and make a very good point about this and other referendums. in my limited time of voting, i have found them all pretty much confusing and maybe all very poorly debated. as soon as both of these were on the table, i pretty much made up my mind on which way i was gonna vote and more or less ignored all debates from then on. i think i made the right decisions. its hard to know fully though what constitutional impacts referendum truly have in full but i guess if any major holes appear that seem to create some serious problems for people or place people in danger, id like to think emergency legislation would be used to well up those holes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

id have to disagree with you there, as they say, never underestimate the stupidity of the electorate.
    Exactly, still can't make sense how everyone voted for gay marriage but not for a younger president. Where's the equality in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Is it really age discrimination? just like not allowing people under 18 to drink and under 16 to have sex?

Is it really age discrimination? just like not allowing people under 18 to drink and under 16 to have sex?

Absolutely. An 18 year old is an adult. Your examples involve children.

You can be Taoiseach at that age, a far more powerful position.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Stillhouette

Wanting equality for one thing does not mean you will want equality for everything. Where would you draw the line?

Many people, myself included, saw no sense in denying the LGBT community the the right to marriage.

21 is simply far too young for someone to hold the office of president. A president should have some experience of life. What didnt help that cause was one of the Jedward morons talk about being president.

• Advertisement

Wanting equality for one thing does not mean you will want equality for everything. Where would you draw the line?

Many people, myself included, saw no sense in denying the LGBT community the the right to marriage.

21 is simply far too young for someone to hold the office of president. A president should have some experience of life. What didnt help that cause was one of the Jedward morons talk about being president.

If you advertised a job in the morning and then asked for over 35s only to apply you'd be in a bit of bother.

Selection criteria like requiring said life experience effectively rule out underqualfied candidates.

But age is one of the 9 discrimination grounds. We may as well be saying no women.

Advertisement