Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog attacking my dog for no reason!!

• 23-05-2015 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I'm hoping for a little advice please.
    On our walks my dog and I go down a country road which she loves because it's really quiet and has loads of lovely grass parts she enjoys rolling in.
    Right at the beginning of this road is a house with a little yorkie that is allowed to roam and obviously feels the road belongs to him.
    At first he only barked but each time he's got closer and more agressive towards my dog until last week when he attacked her.
    My dog is as gentle as anything but this time she'd had enough and she grabbed him (his whole head was in her mouth!!), flipped him over and threw him onto his back! This only took a couple of seconds and I was a bit shocked at his attack, she stepped back away from him and he ran away.

Apologies for the ramble, basically could anyone advise what, if anything I can do and if in a worst case scenario he hurt my girl is the owner to blame? And vice versa if she had hurt the terrier is it my fault?
    Just to clarify it is on the public road outside the house the dog belongs to.

I really want to keep bringing her there as it's the only non driving way to get to her favourite area, every other way would be too far for us to walk.

Appreciate any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

They shouldn't be letting their dog roam so you can call the dog warden and complain however... due to the farce that is BSL, your dog should be muzzled by law so you may end up landing yourself in trouble in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

tk123 wrote: »
    They shouldn't be letting their dog roam so you can call the dog warden and complain however... due to the farce that is BSL, your dog should be muzzled by law so you may end up landing yourself in trouble in the process.

Yeah it's mad isn't it, my gentle girl should be muzzled so she can't protect herself against a terrier!!

I might try aiming a water pistol in front of the little attackers feet in the hope he will back off.

Cruel and useless owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I have the same problem with smaller dogs coming at my retrievers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Its a tough one! I think that the fact that both dogs are off leash, you are both partially to blame. If you had your dog on the lead then yes it would be 100% their fault but neither dogs were "under control" (in the eyes of the law) so I think you are both to blame if anything happened.

At the end of the day, if anyone leaves their dog off leash, the dog should be at least supervised so in this instance its obvious this other dogs owners is in the wrong but not sure if it would be seen that way in the eyes of the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Muzzle your dog if its a restricted breed, bring a shtick on your walks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

OP have you approached the owner of the dog and had a chat with them. Be nice about it and let them know there dog is causing a problem.
    I walk my dog all the time on country roads. Loose/uncontained dogs are a right PIA. I have spoken to one of my neighbours as their very large rottie, crossed the road to attack my dog. I went an spoke to the owners a few days later. The dog is now contained at the back of the house where is doesn't have access to the road. They may not all be as accommodating as my neighbour was but it is worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Ashbx wrote: »
    Its a tough one! I think that the fact that both dogs are off leash, you are both partially to blame. If you had your dog on the lead then yes it would be 100% their fault but neither dogs were "under control" (in the eyes of the law) so I think you are both to blame if anything happened.

At the end of the day, if anyone leaves their dog off leash, the dog should be at least supervised so in this instance its obvious this other dogs owners is in the wrong but not sure if it would be seen that way in the eyes of the law.

My dog is on a lead, sorry for the confusion.

Silly smiles, yes I have spoken to the owner, he really couldn't care less! His suggestion was to allow my dog to fight back if his dog attacked mine and teach his dog a lesson!
    Lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Get the dog warden end of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I suggest contacting the dog warden then. You have done your best contacting the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭suchafunkymonke

but this time she'd had enough and she grabbed him (his whole head was in her mouth!!), flipped him over and threw him onto his back! This only took a couple of seconds and I was a bit shocked at his attack, she stepped back away from him and he ran away.

Something tells me the yorkie might not be so interested in kicking up a fuss next time you pass..

• Advertisement
Advertisement