Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medion core I5 Nvidia graphics jerky

Options
  • 23-05-2015 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Playing video on my Win 8.1 from external HDD 3TB with VLC is jerky. Same with avi and mp4. Plays smoothly on my old Dell Optiplex 2860 using original Intel drivers with XP. Same for big files (>1GB) and small (720k).

Should I try for Intel drivers? I have reduced resolution to 1280x768 but no joy. I have 6GB RAM so that should not be a problem. Am connecting ext HDD on USB3 directly to PC.

Have tried any Nvidia tweaks.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ObeyTheSuit

Copy a file to your C:\

Play it, if it's not jerky it's not the GFX card that's at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Marcface

captainpat wrote: »
    Playing video on my Win 8.1 from external HDD 3TB with VLC is jerky. Same with avi and mp4. Plays smoothly on my old Dell Optiplex 2860 using original Intel drivers with XP. Same for big files (>1GB) and small (720k).

Should I try for Intel drivers? I have reduced resolution to 1280x768 but no joy. I have 6GB RAM so that should not be a problem. Am connecting ext HDD on USB3 directly to PC.

Have tried any Nvidia tweaks.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Are you playing it on the OptiPlex via the USB connection as well? What NVidia card/chipset is in it, I believe Medion are the ALDI/LIDL brand? I've not seen any in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Can you confirm USB3 slot is working at proper speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

Thanks Suit

Seems the problem is with VLC. If I use Windows Media Player it is OK. Strange that it works OK on an old PC with XP but not with a new PC with Win 8.1. Thanks anyway

Hi Marcface

The NVIDIA is a GeForce GTX 650.

Seems the problem is with VLC. If I use Windows Media Player it is OK. Strange that it works OK on an old PC with XP but not with a new PC with Win 8.1. Thanks anyway

• Advertisement

Hi Moredeith

HDD is USB3, Cable has blue connectors and USB port on PC is USB3. Not sure how to check speed of USB3.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Marcface

captainpat wrote: »
    Hi Marcface

The NVIDIA is a GeForce GTX 650.

That's an odd one! Sounds like a codec issue, glad you have a resolution :)

Advertisement