Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rhododendrons in Howth

Options
  • 23-05-2015 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

An opportunity to be north of Dublin in early June has come up. There are descriptions of substantial gardens at Malahide Castle and Howth Castle, but the key question "how is the season progressing this spring?". Would June 11 be too late to see many of their rhodys and azaleas near their peak (or just slightly past)?

How do the Malahide and Howth gardens compare?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

are you trying to compare private and public spaces?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 inquiring

Sorry, there were two separate questions which I can distinguish a little more clearly.

1. Is the 2015 spring season for azaleas and rhodys running early, average, or late this year in Fingal?

I have seen May 5, 2011 pictures of peak bloom at Howth gardens but don't know if that was an "early season" year. (Of course, I hope it was. Further, I hope this year is running late.) Rather than simply 'hope', I thought I would ask the local gardening community what the weather was like this spring and how have the flowering shrubs responded.

2. Yes, Malahide and Howth Castles are public and private, respectively. However, it is my understanding that both of the gardens are public, extensive, and of some considerable merit. Realistically expecting that the rhodys are likely well past peak bloom, I am interested in other comparative merits for the two gardens. Local guidance for what to expect the second week of June would be a great aid in selecting one of these two gardens to visit.

Any help on either question is greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

inquiring wrote: »
    Sorry, there were two separate questions which I can distinguish a little more clearly.

1. Is the 2015 spring season for azaleas and rhodys running early, average, or late this year in Fingal?

I have seen May 5, 2011 pictures of peak bloom at Howth gardens but don't know if that was an "early season" year. (Of course, I hope it was. Further, I hope this year is running late.) Rather than simply 'hope', I thought I would ask the local gardening community what the weather was like this spring and how have the flowering shrubs responded.

2. Yes, Malahide and Howth Castles are public and private, respectively. However, it is my understanding that both of the gardens are public, extensive, and of some considerable merit. Realistically expecting that the rhodys are likely well past peak bloom, I am interested in other comparative merits for the two gardens. Local guidance for what to expect the second week of June would be a great aid in selecting one of these two gardens to visit.

Any help on either question is greatly appreciated.

They are very good Q's and you will need to speak directly with area residents/gardeners. You might consider contacting the RHSI, as they're are members who have private gardens but open to the public on certain days. I'm not resident in Howth or Malahide. Good luck with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cobham

I think Rhodys are late this year?

Advertisement