Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I look forward to AWEC being turfed out of the crowd for telling everyone to behave!!

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Hardly the required behaviour of a moderator ?

I'm a hallion really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Hardly the required behaviour of a moderator ?

You've never heard awec's "abuse"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Couldn't resist that one awec !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

No mention here yet but anyway tonight sees Andrew Trimble win his 190th cap for Ulster which will also make him the most capped player in Ulster's history. A fantastic achievement and hopefully he surpasses the 200 mark before long and goes on to 250-300 caps before the end of his career. I've never hidden the fact that he has been pretty much my favourite Ulster player over the last 10 years (Fez and now Hendo push him close mind) and he has been a joy to watch in the white of Ulster. Hope he has a big night and grabs a couple of tries.

Anyway here is the full team...

15 Louis Ludik
    14 Andrew Trimble
    13 Luke Marshall
    12 Stuart McCloskey
    11 Craig Gilroy
    10 Peter Nelson
    9 Paul Marshall
    1 Andy Warwick
    2 Rob Herring (c)
    3 Wiebhan Herbst
    4 Peter Browne
    5 Dan Tuohy
    6 Robbie Diack
    7 Sean Reidy
    8 Roger Wilson

16 Paul Jackson
    17 Callum Black
    18 Bronson Ross
    19 Lewis Stevenson
    20 Clive Ross
    21 Dave Shannahan
    22 Sam Arnold
    23 Rory Scholes

Good back line, strong front row, crap everything else. Only Arnold excites on the bench, I wouldn't be that shocked if we lost this.

Remember folks 6.05 KO ce soir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭unce09f

Rory Scholes is an exciting player.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

190 is great for Trimble. He'll need to rack up a few more if he wants to keep the record though. Gilroy will top it, eventually.

190 is great for Trimble. He'll need to rack up a few more if he wants to keep the record though. Gilroy will top it, eventually.

Yeah Gilroy is already over 100 caps and he is only 23 or 24 plus hasn't been first choice for a lot of his career.

Gilroy will smash the record unless something goes very badly for him.

Nelson aside (who's done okay all things considerd @ 10) that's a very decent backline to be able to put out during a RWC!

Gilroy will smash the record unless something goes very badly for him.

Well I suppose he could leave Ulster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Was there a change to to the team or has Stuart Olding grown 5 inches and put on 3 or 4 stone?

EDIT: Ignore me, for some reason when I read bilstons team I thought Olding was involved, I'm going completely mad.

Dan Tuohy opens the scoring for Ulster with pick and drive. Soft defense from Treviso but Tuohy looks to be getting through a fair amount of work here.

Just saw some an example of something McCloskey needs to iron out of his game. He gets the ball on his 22, a good 6 or 7 metres in field and he gets driven into touch.

bilston wrote: »
    Just saw some an example of something McCloskey needs to iron out of his game. He gets the ball on his 22, a good 6 or 7 metres in field and he gets driven into touch.

Don't worry, a bit of time with Joe Schmidt and he'll get that sorted :cool:

Ref takes a tumble...ooops

Lovely wee burst of acceleration from Peter Nelson there.

Try for Reidy.

Look at that England. Five metre lineout, throw to 6 and wham bam thank you mam.

Treviso are very very weak around the fringes.

Reidy looks decent. I've said this for a while. He gets unfairly mentioned in the same sentence as Clive Ross, but he is a far better player than Ross. No world beater, but it's harsh to put in the same bracket as Ross.

Treviso are very very weak around the fringes.

They just look weak full stop.

• Advertisement

Treviso down to 13 here.

Treviso making this pretty easy for Ulster here. Bonus point looks inevitable.

Too easy for Paul Marshall

Treviso are terrible.

I can't think of a single positive for any of their play at all.

Not sure why we got into a kicking battle there.

Wooooowwwwww

Gilroy cuts Treviso to pieces. Won't help his international ambitions with another needless individual wonder try.

Aye that's just sensational from Gilroy

Lovely break from Paul Marshall

Foot well and truly off the gas, Paul Marshall playing exactly like Paul Marshall.

• Advertisement

Looks like the half time team talk has worked wonders again

Seriously why the hell is the third quarter of every single game Ulster play so poor? It can't be a coincidence.

Nelson's touchfinders are great.

Well done Browne

34-7 after 56 mins

Beautiful try. McCloskey with the offliad, Gilroy with the line

I turned over to watch the Munster game becuase the first 50 minutes satisfied my "McCloskey for Ireland" needs, however glad to hear he's still making an impact.

• Advertisement

Wee Paddy's brother on :D

First Ulster try for Stevenson.

Nelson really does look the part here. Obviously Treviso are muck, but it's good to see.

Wee Paddy's brother on :D

Funny how one brother is a 10 and the other is a hooker. Poles apart.

Then look at the Wallaces and the Youngs brothers

Funny how one brother is a 10 and the other is a hooker. Poles apart.

Then look at the Wallaces and the Youngs brothers

Paul's the older one so he probably robbed all of Paddy's food.

I turned over to watch the Munster game becuase the first 50 minutes satisfied my "McCloskey for Ireland" needs, however glad to hear he's still making an impact.

The line, power and offload for Gilroy's second try was a delight to see. Imagine Henshaw, Earls and Fitzgerald etc running off those offloads. Of course Joe will never allow it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Gilroy destroyed any chance of being selected for Ireland by scoring two tries tonight :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

That was enjoyable to watch.

McCloskey is a serious unit. He takes at least 2 players in contact every time yet manages to get his hands free for the offload as well. He's a bit like henderson only twice as quick.

Gilroy's try will be up there for try of the season - so explosive off both feet. Nelson is doing well as a stand in 10.

Need to push on from here though. No point sticking almost 50 on a poor Treviso and then playing shíte on the next outing.

Can we parachute McCloskey into the Irish squad for the Italy game?

Overall I'm reasonably happy, but there were three areas that disappointed me.

1) The usual third quarter malaise.
    2) Getting into a kicking battle when we should have ran it back a bit more.
    3) The line out wasn't great, although if Treviso did one thing reasonably well it was compete on our ball.

The post half time downtime is baffling. It happens if you very game we play, what goes on at half time? It's just so weird.

On the positive side I was happy with Warwick, Herbst, Tuohy, Reidy, the half backs, McCloskey and especially Gilroy. They all had good games.

Gilroy scored two great tries. The first one was spectacular, but in many ways the second one was even better as he picked a great line and showed great power and pace at exactly the right moment, along with his improved defence and improved fielding of the ball and it seems six or seven weeks in the Ireland camp have done him the world of good. If he keeps this up it will be hard for Joe to ignore him moving forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Overall I'm reasonably happy, but there were three areas that disappointed me.

1) The usual third quarter malaise.
    2) Getting into a kicking battle when we should have ran it back a bit more.
    3) The line out wasn't great, although if Treviso did one thing reasonably well it was compete on our ball.

The post half time downtime is baffling. It happens if you very game we play, what goes on at half time? It's just so weird.

On the positive side I was happy with Warwick, Herbst, Tuohy, Reidy, the half backs, McCloskey and especially Gilroy. They all had good games.

Gilroy scored two great tries. The first one was spectacular, but in many ways the second one was even better as he picked a great line and showed great power and pace at exactly the right moment, along with his improved defence and improved fielding of the ball and it seems six or seven weeks in the Ireland camp have done him the world of good. If he keeps this up it will be hard for Joe to ignore him moving forward.

1) doak had a chance to speak to the players. This manifested itself in a poor 3rd quarter.
    2) doakball at its finest
    3)ahhhh...doak?

Happy for big Stu and gilly. Lets hope their try scoring and offloading doesn't hurt their ire chances ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Gilroy has two problems:
    1) whether he is still in the team when Bowe comes back.
    2) he needs injuries to the existing Ireland wingers to get an opportunity (like Zebo did).

He will need a combination of luck and continued good performances to have a shot in the next 12 months.

Gilroy has two problems:
    1) whether he is still in the team when Bowe comes back.
    2) he needs injuries to the existing Ireland wingers to get an opportunity (like Zebo did).

He will need a combination of luck and continued good performances to have a shot in the next 12 months.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that. He will get plenty of games for Ulster but it's the games against Saracens and Toulouse that he needs to be starting.

I wouldn't be that surprised to see him move to FB when Tommy returns which could get him big games for Ulster but harm his Ireland chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Ive watched Ulster a bit this season and last and I've come to the conclusion that you have a system that when it works you can beat anyone but when it doesn't you look ****e. The problem I see is that you can never keep the ball more than a couple of phases because the rucking isn't good enough then you kick and kick badly. Last night you kept the ball through multiple phases and treviso kicked poorly to you. Some of the quality of play was brilliant last night. If Ulster can keep the quality of their ruck ball the same as last night other teams will be in trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Good point on the aimless kicking bilston. We started a kicking ping pong at them when they had 13 men on the pitch!! Seriously? That was a time to keep the ball in hand, go through a few phases and look for space when their defence was going to be stretched.

On a side note I was delighted for big Stevenson to score a try!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement