Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I love seeing players dance around tacklers. It feels like you don't see it that much anymore, even from wingers. It's like they all just try to run over the top of defenders or are in so much space that it's just a straight foot race for the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Shockingly bad play there. He should have formed a ruck and box kicked instead of playing rugbyscoring a try. Far too consistent there for Joe. He needs to watch how Ireland's backs gave a master class in Schmidtball yesterday. Perhaps if he tied his bootlaces together he might become more of a team player......:D

Edit...I am joking btw. Everyone knows who the best wingers are and why. Bowe, Earls and Trimble. Simply being good at scoring tries isn't enough any more....well, in the current incarnation of rugby. Some people seem to think that he is a small guy...he isn't. Just over 6' and just over 14 stones. Not huge but certainly not tiny...about the same size as Keet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Paddy McAllister making his debut for Gloucester this weekend at loosehead beside Hibbard and Afoa.

He's had a tough few years with injuries and everything else, I really hope the change of scenery does him well. Could be a great player for them this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

Gilroy signed a 2 year extension too so I hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Ulster: Louis Ludik; Craig Gilroy, Sammy Arnold, Stuart McCloskey, Andrew Trimble; Peter Nelson, Paul Marshall; Callum Black, Rob Herring (captain), Wiehahn Herbst, Dan Tuohy, Franco van der Merwe, Roger Wilson, Sean Reidy, Nick Williams.
    Replacements: John Andrew, Andrew Warwick, Bronson Ross, Lewis Stevenson, Willie Faloon, David Shanahan, Ian Humphreys, Rory Scholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

and we just keep churning out new centres :)

I suppose i should be glad to see iHumph back, hopefully he's learned how to tackle.

In potentially tighter games it will also be nice to have a slightly more reliable place kicker in the team.

Game number 150 for Paul Marshall, congrats to him.

Scythica wrote: »
    Gilroy signed a 2 year extension too so I hear!

Here is is talking about it (basically answering the same question 3 times)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

mogwai81 wrote: »
    Ulster: Louis Ludik; Craig Gilroy, Sammy Arnold, Stuart McCloskey, Andrew Trimble; Peter Nelson, Paul Marshall; Callum Black, Rob Herring (captain), Wiehahn Herbst, Dan Tuohy, Franco van der Merwe, Roger Wilson, Sean Reidy, Nick Williams.
    Replacements: John Andrew, Andrew Warwick, Bronson Ross, Lewis Stevenson, Willie Faloon, David Shanahan, Ian Humphreys, Rory Scholes.

If we had a goalkicker that would be a decent XV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Has McCloskey not done well with his kicking so far?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

Well, during warm ups he can hit the corner flag or memorial clock at Ravenspan and then he will slot one from the touch line next time. Straight after that you will see him put out several bulbs in the spot light and then slot one down the middle next...

Hes unreal too... the centre version of Iain Henderson

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

bayern1900 wrote: »
    you realise he isn't from ulster?
    also that ulster have yet to produce an international centre of note yet?

This guy... lol.

Have you watched much of Ulster over the years? Olding shows amazing promise and then gets injured, twice. McCloskey plays every game for Ulster as to how Henshaw played vs France.... They are verging on breaking through but right now Ireland/ Ulster both have an abundance in backs, which isnt good for the individual person. Surely producing a player doesnt necessarily account for them being born here, but rather how Ulster bring them on through the academy?

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This guy... lol.

Have you watched much of Ulster over the years? Olding shows amazing promise and then gets injured, twice. McCloskey plays every game for Ulster as to how Henshaw played vs France. Surely producing a player doesnt necessarily account for them being born here, but rather how Ulster bring them on through the academy?
    The post you responded to is gone, the guy is a banned re-reg beefy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

bayern1900 wrote:
    you realise he isn't from ulster? also that ulster have yet to produce an international centre of note yet?

They've developed him which is the most important factor.

Hot and cold. He can nail from the touchline and miss them from in front of the posts.

McCloskey said after the first match this season where he kicked that they basically drew straws to see who would kick. He had done some at schools level but hadn't been kicking since. I'd say he'll be delighted once Humphries is starting again or Jackson gets back from the World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Doak OUT OUT OUT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Not a great game to watch. Don't look like they are enjoying themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Typical doak away performance

Anyway this should cheer you up https://instagram.com/p/8dzlTpSQ3k/

Utah_Saint wrote: »

He seems to be making a good recovery. Hopefully not too long to go until he returns. I think the talk was January a while back.

Well the world of rugby never stops.

If there is one positive today it is that we will have Jackson and Cave back for Cardiff next week. I assume the rest will get a couple of weeks off.

Alas it looks like we won't have Bowe for a while to add to the loss of Payne.

Backline of

Marshall
    Jackson
    Gilroy
    McCloskey
    Cave
    Trimble
    Ludik

Pienaar probably back the week after I would imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

When do we get Kiss back, do you reckon?

MJohnston wrote: »
    When do we get Kiss back, do you reckon?

Not sure when his contract starts. Oyonnax game is about 12th November I think so hopefully we will have him by then and preferably a week or so before.

Luke marshall out for 6 weeks with ligament injury in his hand.

He wouldn't have been able to stop the McCloskey hype train but he at least could have helped him carry his bags about.

Luke marshall out for 6 weeks with ligament injury in his hand.

He wouldn't have been able to stop the McCloskey hype train but he at least could have helped him carry his bags about.

You have to feel sorry for Luke at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The initial burst of acceleration from him is seriously fast. Would be delighted to see him get a run of games completely injury free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

There's never been a doubt about Olding's ability to run in straight lines and i'm glad to see he's regained that speed. It's changing direction that seems to scupper him.

So with all this RWC disappointment and an Ulster team blowing hot and cold, who would be your picks from other provinces, to strengthen Ireland and Ulster?

Hopefully the success of Ireland and the success of Ulster aren't mutually exclusive.

Do we need to start farming out some of our centres for back row players?

postitnote wrote: »
    There's never been a doubt about Olding's ability to run in straight lines and i'm glad to see he's regained that speed. It's changing direction that seems to scupper him.

So with all this RWC disappointment and an Ulster team blowing hot and cold, who would be your picks from other provinces, to strengthen Ireland and Ulster?

Hopefully the success of Ireland and the success of Ulster aren't mutually exclusive.

Do we need to start farming out some of our centres for back row players?

The entire backrow from any other province. Ours is seriously poor. Made worse if Henderson is now a lock. Scrum half which is a huge problem across Ireland, when ruan goes we are screwed. Why did we not use ruan to help us bring through a quality understudy?

Get James hart back here ta fook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Apparently John hardie still has no team. Would another backrow help in ulster?

errlloyd wrote: »
    Apparently John hardie still has no team. Would another backrow help in ulster?

We don't have spaces available for NIQ players unfortunately

We don't have spaces available for NIQ players unfortunately

Is that still a thing. Munster signed a Uruguayan like?

• Advertisement

Is that still a thing. Munster signed a Uruguayan like?

He'll be considered a medical joker and Ulster are already over-quota.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

He'll be considered a medical joker and Ulster are already over-quota.

He may be Botha's replacement

Hardie signed for Edinburgh today, they'll be happy. The pro12 was looking creeky a few years back, but the Scottish sides and Connacht have really added strength to the field of late, shame about the Italians.

Hardie signed for Edinburgh today, they'll be happy. The pro12 was looking creeky a few years back, but the Scottish sides and Connacht have really added strength to the field of late, shame about the Italians.

Yeah, Edinburgh are going great guns. The league is more competitive but whether the standard has improved, stagnated or got worse is hard to say.

bilston wrote: »
    Yeah, Edinburgh are going great guns. The league is more competitive but whether the standard has improved, stagnated or got worse is hard to say.
    Especially hard to say with all of the internationals missing. Let's see how things look at the end of the year. Glasgow have been the best side in the league for the past 2 years and they've been very entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

He may be Botha's replacement

He might be but currently he's being considered cover for the injured Archer.

I see Jackson and Cave are back in the squad for this weekend. Must be a weird feeling. Could have been preparing for a World Cup SF (in whatever capacity) instead preparing for Cardiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Hopefully just glad to be back with a shot of actually playing a game of rugby!

I see Jackson and Cave are back in the squad for this weekend. Must be a weird feeling. Could have been preparing for a World Cup SF (in whatever capacity) instead preparing for Cardiff.

• Advertisement

Where are Scholes and Nelson?

Really hope these guys can kick on a bit this year. There was high hopes for Scholes at underage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

(15-9): Louis Ludik; Andrew Trimble, Sammy Arnold, Stuart McCloskey, Craig Gilroy; Ian Humphreys, Paul Marshall; (1-8): Callum Black, Rob Herring (captain), Wiehahn Herbst, Lewis Stevenson, Franco van der Merwe, Roger Wilson, Sean Reidy, Nick Williams;

Replacements (16-23): John Andrew, Andrew Warwick, Ricky Lutton, Peter Browne, Willie Faloon, David Shanahan, Paddy Jackson, Darren Cave.

Tuohy out with concussion

Any news on how long Bowe will be out?

MJohnston wrote: »
    Hopefully just glad to be back with a shot of actually playing a game of rugby!

Yeah, probably a lot easier for some than others.

On the flip side of that you've got Kane Douglas who should have been lining out for Leinster in half empty stadiums these past few weeks and instead he's playing in a World Cup SF.

Sorry if this has been covered but how long is it until we see Kiss join the setup and realistically what do we expect him to bring for this season? Mid-season wouldn't be the best time to try and change defensive strategies or whatnot right?

Scythica wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been covered but how long is it until we see Kiss join the setup and realistically what do we expect him to bring for this season? Mid-season wouldn't be the best time to try and change defensive strategies or whatnot right?

Follow up question.... is Kiss' presence likely to increase Ulster players chances of getting into the Ireland squad? It always seems to me that the ability to defend, or lack of ability, is what gets some players into the squad over others. Purely in terms of attack Gilroy must be one of the best players in the Provinces and yet he's very much on the outer fringes of the National set up. Is a season with Kiss full time likely to change this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think Bilston said he was going to start next week.

What do we expect him to bring? A narrow defensive pattern for a start :D

It's a bit of an unknown what he's going to bring as he's never been a head coach before.

• Advertisement

He's a DoR right not head coach I think. Will be interesting to see actually how him and Doak work together and how it differs from Anscombe and Humph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭accidentprone1

Lads, what does a director of rugby actually do?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I think Bilston said he was going to start next week.

What do we expect him to bring? A narrow defensive pattern for a start :D

It's a bit of an unknown what he's going to bring as he's never been a head coach before.

1st November I think, but I'm not certain.

I would imagine he hasn't been a stranger with the Ulster set up over the last 12 months anyway so I doubt he is going to make massive changes straight away. I'm looking forward to having him at Ulster.

Lads, what does a director of rugby actually do?

Depends on the job spec. Humph as DoR had no coaching role, I'm pretty sure that won't be the case for Kiss.

Follow up question.... is Kiss' presence likely to increase Ulster players chances of getting into the Ireland squad? It always seems to me that the ability to defend, or lack of ability, is what gets some players into the squad over others. Purely in terms of attack Gilroy must be one of the best players in the Provinces and yet he's very much on the outer fringes of the National set up. Is a season with Kiss full time likely to change this?

It might help a few Ulster players like Gilroy just because he knows what Joe wants and he can pass that onto Gilroy.

I have to say as brillant as Gilroy is going forward he did miss a bad tackle last weekend which cost us a try and the game. He needs to iron that out of his game. Kiss might be the man to do it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement