Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

well at least The Ulster Ravens A have the same game plan as the senior step. Aimless and getting beat.

The decline at Ulster over the past 4 year has been unbelievable. Murphy (former brumbies prop) is on the bench for Ulster A??!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Utah_Saint wrote: »

The decline at Ulster over the past 4 year has been unbelievable.

Surely you mean in the last year and not 4 years?!

bilston wrote: »
    Surely you mean in the last year and not 4 years?!

Actually I meant to write 2years....

Our world domination plan is on course... Id be shocked if kiss makes any real difference. We don't have the players. Not sure if even Eddie jones could do it

Actually I meant to write 2years....

Our world domination plan is on course... Id be shocked if kiss makes any real difference. We don't have the players. Not sure if even Eddie jones could do it

As far as the first team is concerned we just haven't replaced Court, Afoa, Muller and Ferris. Van Der Merwe has done fine, Henderson when he plays 6 can certainly fill the boots of 1F but is exactly a like for like for player. Muller's leadership and the two props are huge losses. Plus our back row is two years older and even Ruan maybe isn't quite the force he was (still better than most).

2014 was our big chance and we didn't take it for a number of reasons.

We need to rebuild but unfortunately I don't see the players in the Academy or the A team.that are.coming through. There are two or three backs that might make it but up front we are struggling big time and that is where we need players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

As far as the first team is concerned we just haven't replaced Court, Afoa, Muller and Ferris. Van Der Merwe has done fine, Henderson when he plays 6 can certainly fill the boots of 1F but is exactly a like for like for player. Muller's leadership and the two props are huge losses. Plus our back row is two years older and even Ruan maybe isn't quite the force he was (still better than most).

2014 was our big chance and we didn't take it for a number of reasons.

We need to rebuild but unfortunately I don't see the players in the Academy or the A team.that are.coming through. There are two or three backs that might make it but up front we are struggling big time and that is where we need players.

A team that has in effect no back row wins sod all. Even the scrum has become crap.
    How can that happen over a summer break? It looks like a team that has lost all focus and belief. It reminds me of what happened to the team at the end of '06 and into '07 when despite quite a few good players it just was individuals rather than a team. Also Ulster already have 12 players out with injury and some - like Bowe - are out for the season.

jacothelad wrote: »
    A team that has in effect no back row wins sod all. Even the scrum has become crap.
    How can that happen over a summer break? It looks like a team that has lost all focus and belief. It reminds me of what happened to the team at the end of '06 and into '07 when despite quite a few good players it just was individuals rather than a team. Also Ulster already have 12 players out with injury and some - like Bowe - are out for the season.

Bowe is out for the season? Jeepers. That might be the end of him...certainly as a first choice...

Aye hopefully Kiss can bring a bit of order, but yes I can see the similarities with 06/07, albeit we aren't that bad (or maybe the rest of the league isn't as good).

It is hard to be optimistic. I can only hope we sign a top drawer back row for next season, preferably a No.8 and somehow keep VDM as well. It would mean 4 NIQs but I can't see us being competitive otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I think that's Bowe's time in a green shirt done anyway, but who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

MJohnston wrote: »

If there's a plus there it's that gilroy will get a great chance to cement his place on the wing.

Even at Ulster he will be up against it with Trimble, Gilroy and Piatau competing with him next season.

If his time with Ireland is over I hope he comes back and gives us a big season next year. It hasn't quite wored out for him since he came back and it is a bit annoying that his best club years were probably with the Ospreys.

Still he will still be an important squad member.

The Kingspan has the atmosphere of a library by the sounds of things.

Ulster 0-3 Cardiff after 4 mins

• Advertisement

Great offensive "D" from McCloskey

Some nice touches from Trimble early on.

I'm pretty sure I could get a start on this ulster team. They've been completely doaked....

Big mac breaks the gainline everytime. Dead cert for 6n

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

At FB.

Aye he has been impressive. Strong defensively as well.

I was thinking is there an element of Doak being a dead man walking. The Ulster squad aren't playing for him because they know he is about to be replaced?

Aye he has been impressive. Strong defensively as well.

I was thinking is there an element of Doak being a dead man walking. The Ulster squad aren't playing for him because they know he is about to be replaced?

Maybe, although he'll still be there as a coach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Maybe, although he'll still be there as a coach

He'll be head coach, right? He's still going to be very influential.

He'll be head coach, right? He's still going to be very influential.

He'll be coaching the backs at very least

This ref is not allowing any comp at the breakdown!

• Advertisement

Ref clearly doesn't understand how to ref a maul going backwards

Anyone see Paddy Jackson's post match interview?

He was talking about injuries and he made reference to injuries to "Tommy and Hendy and stuff"

Henderson????

So last night.

Lots of aimless kicking again, kicking is fine if it is accurate and the chase is good, otherwise it is just terrible to watch.

Our clearing out was poor. Players were getting pinged for being lazy and clearing out from the side, and then players were getting pinged for holding on because the player clearing out couldn't before their job...pathetic...

Also we need to engage the brain sometimes, the first instinct is to kick even if there are opportunities to run the ball. One moment in the second half summed it up, Jackson moves the ball off a scrum just outside our 22, he throws a miss pass to young Arnold who runs onto it, uses a bit of footwork, makes the break, offloads to McCloskey, suddenly we are 40 metres down the pitch by keeping the ball in hand. Prior to that 4 on 3s were being turned down in favour of the default setting of the kick. Let's see more exploitation of opportunities. Chances will be few and far between against better opposition.

Some players went well, Williams was generally excellent, Trimble was hungry and looking sharp which was great to see and McCloskey continued his good start to the season. Arnold, while not setting the world alight, definitely looks at home at this level already and is clearly a big hope for the future.

One thing, how on earth was the Cardiff player not given a red card for his challenge on Gilroy. The referee was pretty good but for me that was a red card. I agree with the YC rather than red for Turnbull as the incident with Marshall was clearly an accident, however where is the consistency? Luke Marshall got a 6 week ban for an accident last season which involved a boot to the face. I'm not saying he should but all things being equal Turnbull will be cited for that...if there is consistency that is...

So last night.

Lots of aimless kicking again, kicking is fine if it is accurate and the chase is good, otherwise it is just terrible to watch.

Our clearing out was poor. Players were getting pinged for being lazy and clearing out from the side, and then players were getting pinged for holding on because the player clearing out couldn't before their job...pathetic...

Also we need to engage the brain sometimes, the first instinct is to kick even if there are opportunities to run the ball. One moment in the second half summed it up, Jackson moves the ball off a scrum just outside our 22, he throws a miss pass to young Arnold who runs onto it, uses a bit of footwork, makes the break, offloads to McCloskey, suddenly we are 40 metres down the pitch by keeping the ball in hand. Prior to that 4 on 3s were being turned down in favour of the default setting of the kick. Let's see more exploitation of opportunities. Chances will be few and far between against better opposition.

Some players went well, Williams was generally excellent, Trimble was hungry and looking sharp which was great to see and McCloskey continued his good start to the season. Arnold, while not setting the world alight, definitely looks at home at this level already and is clearly a big hope for the future.

One thing, how on earth was the Cardiff player not given a red card for his challenge on Gilroy. The referee was pretty good but for me that was a red card. I agree with the YC rather than red for Turnbull as the incident with Marshall was clearly an accident, however where is the consistency? Luke Marshall got a 6 week ban for an accident last season which involved a boot to the face. I'm not saying he should but all things being equal Turnbull will be cited for that...if there is consistency that is...

Summed up perfectly....kicking over running and offloading is the same criticism we had of the ire team. If we would just try to keep it in hand for a few phases gains can be made.

Your man Bert bacarack was brought in to coach the breakdown....we actually seem worse than last year!

Some chat on uafc that we will still have 4 NIQs and not 3 as previously thought. We know two of them will be Pienaar and Piatau, I hope the other two are forwards, preferably back rows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Some chat on uafc that we will still have 4 NIQs and not 3 as previously thought. We know two of them will be Pienaar and Piatau, I hope the other two are forwards, preferably back rows!

I saw mention of 3+2 for Ulster somewhere else. supposedly 2 backrows coming in. 1 marquee and 1 project.

Herbst being near qualification is a mitigating factor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

I saw mention of 3+2 for Ulster somewhere else. supposedly 2 backrows coming in. 1 marquee and 1 project.

Can we start a rumour that Pocock is coming to Ulster and maybe see how it develops?

Yes the rumor is we have 2 back-rows coming in....as Ciaran has mentioned..

Prob Rocky Elsom and some reserve from an ITM Cup team with an O' or Mc in their second name....:)

Scythica wrote: »
    Can we start a rumour that Pocock is coming to Ulster and maybe see how it develops?

Until very recently I never knew Pocock was so vertically challenged for a back-row. Hooper likewise. Maybe that's the key to their turnover success? Small, compact, lower center of gravity but incredibly strong.

Is Bowe the only Irish born Ulster player who is from Ulster but not Northern Ireland? Just wondering as you can see people appearing at other provinces from counties you wouldn't normally associate with rugby.

Is Bowe the only Irish born Ulster player who is from Ulster but not Northern Ireland? Just wondering as you can see people appearing at other provinces from counties you wouldn't normally associate with rugby.

Yeah think so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭RuPi

Whitelock and Vito were names I heard at Ravenhill on Friday. Would be surprised if both came, if you got one you would be happy.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sam Whitelock?

Yea right. Someone living in dreamland there. Dan Carter in for 10 and Steffon Armitage signing too. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Scott Fardy.

He would be a great fit for Ulster in a position they badly need help and he lives in Canberra so surely Ulster can attract him over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Anyone see Paddy Jackson's post match interview?

He was talking about injuries and he made reference to injuries to "Tommy and Hendy and stuff"

Henderson????

Maybe the and stuff is to do with guys being given a week off after rwc who had built up gametime.

Heaslip is in nyc currently going by his facebook posts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Scott Fardy.

He would be a great fit for Ulster in a position they badly need help and he lives in Canberra so surely Ulster can attract him over.
    Well, the ship was built here.

Annoying news about Henderson:
    Tommy Bowe
    Tommy sustained posterior cruciate ligament and meniscal injuries to his right knee during the Rugby World Cup quarter final against Argentina. He had successful surgery to repair the damage yesterday and he will be ruled out for at least six months.

Iain Henderson
    Iain will undergo surgery later today to stabilise a joint in his hand, which was also injured in the Argentina fixture. He will be of action for approximately six weeks.

Jared Payne
    Jared's fractured foot was stabilised through successful surgery. Ulster Rugby is awaiting his first post-operative review, after which a prognosis will be known.

Payne's injury sounds like 15-20 week range, I reckon?

Annoying news about Henderson:

Payne's injury sounds like 15-20 week range, I reckon?

Trimble missed nearly an entire season with a toe injury, would assume a foot injury will be as long.

Bye bye McCafferty Cup hopes. :mad:

Bowe and Payne we can replace with Gilroy and Cave so while it's a blow it is controllable.

However no Henderson for Europe is a disaster.

This season is looking like a write off. I just hope we stay in touch in the league and sneak into the Play Offs.

Edit - Potentially Hendy could be back for rounds 3 and 4 in Europe so can we miracle 8 or 9 points from our first two games without him?

Bowe and Payne we can replace with Gilroy and Cave so while it's a blow it is controllable.

However no Henderson for Europe is a disaster.

This season is looking like a write off. I just hope we stay in touch in the league and sneak into the Play Offs.

Edit - Potentially Hendy could be back for rounds 3 and 4 in Europe so can we miracle 8 or 9 points from our first two games without him?

Oyonnax maybe (they're a bit of an unknown to me tbh), but I'd be surprised if we get anything from the Sarries match. He'll be cutting it very close for the Toulouse matches too.

• Advertisement

Losing to Saracens again is more than I can bear. :(

Without Henderson though we have pretty much no chance.

The only hope is that we are at home to Sarries.

To be honest, and I say this without much knowledge of Oyonnax, I see no reason to think we can win there given how bad our away form is.

We could easily be gone by round 2. Hopefully Kiss, plus Best, Henry, Pienaar, Jackson and Cave make a profound difference to our us away from Kingspan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

awec wrote: »
    Losing to Saracens again is more than I can bear. :(

Without Henderson though we have pretty much no chance.

John lacey is declaring himself french so he can ref this one. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Oyonnax is very winnable. A decent team got absolutely murdered at Toulon at the weekend who were missing many RWC players. They have only 1 win in 6 and if it continues they may need to focus on the Top14.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Oyonnax is very winnable. A decent team got absolutely murdered at Toulon at the weekend who were missing many RWC players. They have only 1 win in 6 and if it continues they may need to focus on the Top14.
    Very physical battle between Eamonn Sheridan and Stuart McCloskey

RuPi wrote: »
    Whitelock and Vito were names I heard at Ravenhill on Friday. Would be surprised if both came, if you got one you would be happy.

I know these names were only rumours but Vito is on the Hurricanes squad list for 2016, and Whitelock is on the Crusaders one. Both released yesterday.

I know these names were only rumours but Vito is on the Hurricanes squad list for 2016, and Whitelock is on the Crusaders one. Both released yesterday.

I have no ideas if those names are accurate or not (I hope they are!!). However playing Super rugby in 2016 wouldn't stop them joining a NH team for 2016/17.

I have no ideas if those names are accurate or not (I hope they are!!). However playing Super rugby in 2016 wouldn't stop them joining a NH team for 2016/17.

Oh, I thought they were being talked about as coming in now when the WC is over.

still no word on Olding's progress?! I believe he had a meeting with the specialists last Thursday. Hopefully they update us soon.

https://instagram.com/p/9ZZvWaup3Z/

looks like a serious unit though.

• Advertisement

This is from 3 weeks ago. Only a quick sprint but looks good.

https://instagram.com/p/8dzlTpSQ3k

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement