Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

awec wrote: »
    Bye bye McCafferty Cup hopes. :mad:

Did we even have a hope in the first place?

bilston wrote: »
    Bowe and Payne we can replace with Gilroy and Cave so while it's a blow it is controllable.

However no Henderson for Europe is a disaster.

This season is looking like a write off. I just hope we stay in touch in the league and sneak into the Play Offs.?

I would rather we didnt even make the play-offs. I am fed up with Ulster playing Tom Kite and scraping into the play-offs (due to the poor quality of the league generally)... and it makes the season look rosy for the blow ins/ arm chair fans and the SUFTUM brigade.

Not reaching the play-offs might give those that be a wake up call

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

On my phone so can't paste the team, but we have no chance tomorrow night. Pack not good enough.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

On my phone so can't paste the team, but we have no chance tomorrow night. Pack not good enough.

(15-9): Peter Nelson; Craig Gilroy, Darren Cave, Stuart McCloskey, Andrew Trimble; Paddy Jackson, Paul Marshall; (1-8): Andrew Warwick, Rob Herring (captain), Wiehahn Herbst, Lewis Stevenson, Franco van der Merwe, Roger Wilson, Sean Reidy, Nick Williams;
    Replacements (16-23): John Andrew, Callum Black, Ricky Lutton, Dan Tuohy, Chris Henry, Paul Rowley, Ian Humphreys, Sammy Arnold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

remember when we were good at rugby....ahhh those were the days...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Scythica

I may have been dreaming this but was it mentioned when Muller retired than in a few years he may want to come back as a forwards coach for Ulster? After he'd helped out on the family farm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Supposedly he was a quasi-coach the last couple of years and was offered the position before he left. Would be a great addition IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

(15-9): Peter Nelson; Craig Gilroy, Darren Cave, Stuart McCloskey, Andrew Trimble; Paddy Jackson, Paul Marshall; (1-8): Andrew Warwick, Rob Herring (captain), Wiehahn Herbst, Lewis Stevenson, Franco van der Merwe, Roger Wilson, Sean Reidy, Nick Williams;
    Replacements (16-23): John Andrew, Callum Black, Ricky Lutton, Dan Tuohy, Chris Henry, Paul Rowley, Ian Humphreys, Sammy Arnold.

Jackson will make a big difference at 10 and Cave's experience will help at 13 and having Henry on the bench is handy. Still you look at the Munster pack and you have to think it will be tough.

That said we usually put on a decent showing down in Thomond and we have won there with weaker teams than that so hopefully we get something points wise.

The thing is though we play dreadful rugby away from home.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That's a slick looking backline, much more experienced and much more experienced with each other than the Munster back line.

Dunno how the pack fairs up though, and not really much on the bench (Henry and Ryan excepted) for either team.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ulster win.

I can't see Thomond being much of a factor as with the 6pm ko time I doubt there'll be many at it.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if Ulster win..

Behave... We are useless this season, and last. However, winning is the sort of thing that might just end up happening and something that will just keep papering over the cracks up here to keep the blow ins happy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

How come Tuohy isn't starting?

Behave... We are useless this season, and last. However, winning is the sort of thing that might just end up happening and something that will just keep papering over the cracks up here to keep the blow ins happy

If we didn't play such turgid rugby away from home then I actually think we'd have a chance. However all we do is kick it and that is just playing into Munster's hands.

My only hope is PJ may try and play a bit more football and Trimby is hitting a run of form now but whether the pack give the platform or not is the question and I'm doubtful. Henry and Tuohy should provide a bit of punch from the bench though.

Is Kiss now in charge?

How come Tuohy isn't starting?

Just back from concussion and Stevenson did ok last week I suppose. It's not like Tuohy was in great form anyway, although he was better against the mighty Treviso a few weeks ago. Handy impact though...hopefully...

Just back from concussion and Stevenson did ok last week I suppose. It's not like Tuohy was in great form anyway, although he was better against the mighty Treviso a few weeks ago. Handy impact though...hopefully...

Where is AO'C ?

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Where is AO'C ?

Great question;)

Where is AO'C ?

Playing for Ballymena last I heard.

Playing for Ballymena last I heard.

You have to wonder how someone who was fantastic for us last season just falls of the radar so quick?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Looking at the results so far there's you've both played a few of the same teams.

Both of ye have played the Ospreys, Cardiff, and Treviso and won and both have lost to Lanelli!

In the games you've won Ulster have won by more and overall have scored more and conceded less tries than Munster and with most of the games having Nelson at 10.

You have to wonder how someone who was fantastic for us last season just falls of the radar so quick?!

Especially when the alternative is Browne or Stevenson.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Where is AO'C ?

O'Connor has been Doaked. In no team is Stevenson better than O'Connor if he's fit.

• Advertisement

jacothelad wrote: »
    O'Connor has been Doaked. In no team is Stevenson better than O'Connor if he's fit.

Or Browne! I blame Allen Clarke tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

Dont think Doak is a massive fan of AOC for some reason.

Hopefully when Les Kiss is back he'll get a regular look in barring injury.

Think he got a concussion playing for Ballymena a few weeks back which has kept him out of play untill this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

So, is it weird to feel fairly good about that loss?

Yea, I think we deserved the win, we played way more rugby than Munster IMO. If we hadn't switched off for 10/15 minutes in the second half we'd have won that game.

Still need to question why we can't play for 80.

I was surprised by the pack, the Munster pack on paper was far better but it didn't really show during the game. Was surprised that Munster didn't keep the ball tight and use their pack more, the open game suited Ulster way more.

So if we don't kick the ball away all the time we actually look decent.

Slightly concerned that Kiss will bring his Ireland tactics with him, hopefully not!

Most positive away performance in a while. Hardly a surprise that it coincided with us not kicking the ball away at every opportunity which in turn may have coincided with the return of Jackson to the team.

One negative from last week which was poor clearing out on our own ball seemed to have been addressed which was good to see.

However defensively it was a poor show, let's face it that game was there for the winning.

Anyway the range of reactions to Ulster continues to amuse me. There are those who think we are great and are just to accept and swallow everything they are told, equally there are those who are just negative about everything.

I think I'll just continue to be all things to all men and say we are a work in progress in need of fresh ideas on the coaching side and with a worrying lack of depth, but when at full strength or at least near to it we are actually a pretty good XV who can play some nice rugby.

There was a good piece with Stuart Olding at half time last night. He said he expects to be back playing in 10 weeks which by my calculations would have him back for Munster on 2nd Jan. Apparently he clocked a PB sprinting time in training last week. He looks to have bulked up a lot too, so to have got quicker and to have got bigger is pretty encouraging. Hopefully he still has the footwork. Looking forward to seeing him back in the new year.

There was a good piece with Stuart Olding at half time last night. He said he expects to be back playing in 10 weeks which by my calculations would have him back for Munster on 2nd Jan. Apparently he clocked a PB sprinting time in training last week. He looks to have bulked up a lot too, so to have got quicker and to have got bigger is pretty encouraging. Hopefully he still has the footwork. Looking forward to seeing him back in the new year.

Was great to see him training. The guy has soo much promise. I hope he doesn't become the new Fitz with injuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I didn't catch all the game yesterday, but I thought Ulster were very exciting. I was particularly impressed with Nelson doing some second play maker work. A lot of teams are now doing that "play the ball back to the fullback who goes wide to a very deep winger", I just thought he did it well once or twice.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    I didn't catch all the game yesterday, but I thought Ulster were very exciting. I was particularly impressed with Nelson doing some second play maker work. A lot of teams are now doing that "play the ball back to the fullback who goes wide to a very deep winger", I just thought he did it well once or twice.

We have probably the best backs in Ireland but get little to work of because our forwards are powder puff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭mohawk

We have probably the best backs in Ireland but get little to work of because our forwards are powder puff

The Ulster backs are great to watch. I would agree that they are better then the other provinces.
    If you have any spares it would be great if you could send them to Munster that would be great.

mohawk wrote: »
    The Ulster backs are great to watch. I would agree that they are better then the other provinces.
    If you have any spares it would be great if you could send them to Munster that would be great.

A swapsies service should be set up. Forwards for Backs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

A swapsies service should be set up. Forwards for Backs.

2 little ones for one big one sounds about right.

It's a bit weird to realise that it's only October but the season in reality is over for Ulster. They've already lost 3 games out of 6. You need to lose a max of 5 or maybe 6 tops to get in to the play off positions and you really need a home semi to have a chance. I simply can't see what is to all intents and purposes a talented but incoherent rabble winning 13 out of the remaining games. Given we have already about 25% of our starters out for substantial periods, I'm really not confident that this bunch of cretins has the wit to match their skill.
    The next three games are away to Dragons, a fixture in which Ulster normally shoot themselves in both feet and Leinster in the RDS. On past form that will be 2 more losses. Then a home fixture against Embra that should be a win unless we have Dudley the Inept shafting us as he usually does.

Then there is an away game to a resurgent Connacht who look to have taken another step forward that most likely will be a hard fought and easily lost game.

So the possibilities are pretty likely - on past and particularly on present form - to be 6 losses out of the first 10 games. There is no way in Hell that a dull witted side will go on to win the last 12 games of the season - which is in effect what would be needed.

In between these league games are the Super Duper McCafferty Cup games. Without Payne, Bowe and Henderson and only Henry worth a soggy Custard Cream in the back row we can all not worry about this competition.

I'll still enjoy the games but unless Kiss brings a full blown resus. team with him I really think it's a real outside bet. I'd be happy to win all the home games and a few away ones. We have to go to Glasgae and the Ospreys which have not been happy hunting grounds either. I think we'll end up with 8 losses.

It's a bit weird to realise that it's only October but the season in reality is over for Ulster. They've already lost 3 games out of 6. You need to lose a max of 5 or maybe 6 tops to get in to the play off positions and you really need a home semi to have a chance. I simply can't see what is to all intents and purposes a talented but incoherent rabble winning 13 out of the remaining games. Given we have already about 25% of our starters out for substantial periods, I'm really not confident that this bunch of cretins has the wit to match their skill.
    The next three games are away to Dragons, a fixture in which Ulster normally shoot themselves in both feet and Leinster in the RDS. On past form that will be 2 more losses. Then a home fixture against Embra that should be a win unless we have Dudley the Inept shafting us as he usually does.

Then there is an away game to a resurgent Connacht who look to have taken another step forward that most likely will be a hard fought and easily lost game.

So the possibilities are pretty likely - on past and particularly on present form - to be 6 losses out of the first 10 games. There is no way in Hell that a dull witted side will go on to win the last 12 games of the season - which is in effect what would be needed.

In between these league games are the Super Duper McCafferty Cup games. Without Payne, Bowe and Henderson and only Henry worth a soggy Custard Cream in the back row we can all not worry about this competition.

I'll still enjoy the games but unless Kiss brings a full blown resus. team with him I really think it's a real outside bet. I'd be happy to win all the home games and a few away ones. We have to go to Glasgae and the Ospreys which have not been happy hunting grounds either. I think we'll end up with 8 losses.

Will you really enjoy the games Jaco?! Sometimes I'm not sure you ever enjoy them!

For me if the rumours of the signings are true then I'd be fairly positive about next season. What will be will be this season, I still think we can give the league a crack. We do still have some important players to return that will improve us. If we play like we did last (in attack) in all our away games then our results will improve, however the key to that is Jackson.

• Advertisement

Will you really enjoy the games Jaco?! Sometimes I'm not sure you ever enjoy them!

A065AAB6-A703-158D-81DA5F0A6A787E01.jpg

:D
    He's right though.

As long as you're picking up BP's, like Ulster are doing, then you can ship a few losses and still get in the top 4.

Ospreys lost 9 one year but picked up a rake of BP's, 13, so finished 4th.

I wouldn't be surprised by the end of the round that Ulster are only 1 point off the top 4.

A065AAB6-A703-158D-81DA5F0A6A787E01.jpg

:D
    He's right though.

Probably, but I wouldn't say the season is over just yet.

What I would say is that if we really are getting a couple of top class forwards next season let's use this season to get as much experience to the likes of McCloskey, Arnold, Warwick, even Jackson and Henderson, let's see Olding at 15 and get AOC back into the squad.

I dream of a backline next season like this...

Pienaar
    Jackson
    Piatau
    McCloskey
    Cave/Payne
    Trimble/Gilroy/Bowe
    Olding

I'm not kidding, that backline could be devastating against anyone in Europe.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If he don't mind a random question lads, I'd appreciate it
    A couple of years ago I'm convinced there was a very promising player for Ulster who suffered a serious injury, fairly sure it was a broken leg.

Was that olding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Ceadog

Stheno wrote: »
    A couple of years ago I'm convinced there was a very promising player for Ulster who suffered a serious injury, fairly sure it was a broken leg.

Was that olding?

Yep.

• Advertisement

Was that olding?

Olding has ruptured his ACL on two occasions in the last 2 years so it could well be him that you're talking about.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ceadog wrote: »
    Yep.
    Olding has ruptured his ACL on two occasions in the last 2 years so it could well be him that you're talking about.

Thanks, think it must be him it was about January two years ago the first injury occured if that fits.

I'm fairly convinced it was Olding, he was out for months and there was a lot of talk at the time that it was extremly unfortunate for him.

Thanks, think it must be him it was about January two years ago the first injury occured if that fits.

I'm fairly convinced it was Olding, he was out for months and there was a lot of talk at the time that it was extremly unfortunate for him.

He done his 2nd ACL 3mins into his comeback game from 1st acl...!

I think the first injury was Oct/Nov 2013. It happened in the last minute of a bloody Ulster Ravens game. The second injury happened in Feb/Mar this year against Cardiff. He should be back in January.

I think the first injury was Oct/Nov 2013. It happened in the last minute of a bloody Ulster Ravens game. The second injury happened in Feb/Mar this year against Cardiff. He should be back in January.

That fits well, I just could never remember who it was.

Thanks for your help :)

He came back from the 1st ACL and played a few games and then got kicked in the head I think against Toulon and was out concussed then he came back, made his Ireland debut against Georgia, played a few more games for Ulster then wrecked his hand against Toulon. I think it was the comeback from that injury where he did his 2nd ACL after about 5 minutes!

Hopefully he avoids a third, I don't know if anyone has ever come back from three!

Bowe's robo leg...

CSkxsmRUAAAs1M4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Even though McCloskey is a big unit he seems to have a really good skill set. I read somewhere that he played a bit at 10 at underage level.
    Good hands, can pass, off load and showed a good turn of foot against Munster on Friday.
    Would love to see himself and Henshaw in the centre for Ireland ( with Henshaw at 13 ).

mogwai81 wrote: »
    Even though McCloskey is a big unit he seems to have a really good skill set. I read somewhere that he played a bit at 10 at underage level.
    Good hands, can pass, off load and showed a good turn of foot against Munster on Friday.
    Would love to see himself and Henshaw in the centre for Ireland ( with Henshaw at 13 ).

He played scrum half at school. He was quite small at school then he mutated.. :-)

For me if the rumours of the signings are true then I'd be fairly positive about next season. What will be will be this season, I still think we can give the league a crack. We do still have some important players to return that will improve us. If we play like we did last (in attack) in all our away games then our results will improve, however the key to that is Jackson.

I enjoy them all apart from the self inflicted wounds and get frustrated at the stupidity of some players. How many times have we seen Stevenson wrap his arms around an opposition jumper in the air in the l/o and get penalised. How easy is it NOT to do it FFS. How many times do we see Marshall take 4 or 5 scuttling side steps before passing the ball from a ruck? How many times do we see him getting there quickly and then looking around to see what his options are? Pienaar does that before he arrives and gets the ball away in an instant. How many times do we see guys kicking the ball down the throats of opponents because they just boot it anywhere? How many times have we seen LBPs thrown away at the end of games by lack of cool heads?

Players can make mistakes but surely in all walks of life you have to at least make a fist of some sort of learning curve to eradicate them.

I have only heard that there is a rumour about new players, not the actual names attached. Any idea who? For how many seasons are we going to pack out the squad with proven inadequate players or some who have clearly been failures? Our Academy guys rarely get a look in. If it's because they aren't good enough, why are they there?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement