Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Ulster A are in for a hammering if Bristol bring their full squad . Henson, Peel , koster, lam , Morgan, lemi etc.

Ulster should put out a decent pack but the backs arnt looking great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Ulster A are in for a hammering if Bristol bring their full squad . Henson, Peel , koster, lam , Morgan, lemi etc.

Ulster should put out a decent pack but the backs arnt looking great.

Ulster A are in for a hammering in pretty much every game they play...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I assume Ludik will move on or become 2nd choice and Piutau will play at 15. He'll be a hell of an addition to that backline, particularly if they can get the midfield fit and firing.

Ludik will have to go because they will have too many NIQs. VDM, Piutau, Pienaar and Herbst will fill the quota - Ludik and Williams will have to move on if the 3+1 rule is kept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ludik will be gone once Piutau arrives. Ludik hasn't let us down but let's face it Piutau won MOTM for NZ in SA earlier in the year, it is a significant upgrade.

If we are making a couple of signings up front then only Pienaar will remain of the current NIQs.

As for where Piutau plays, who knows, I like the idea of Olding at 15 though and I think Nelson is growing into the role nicely as well. With Tommy getting on and now with a serious injury to recover from it could be that wing may be more of a need for us.

Ludik will have to go because they will have too many NIQs. VDM, Piutau, Pienaar and Herbst will fill the quota - Ludik and Williams will have to move on if the 3+1 rule is kept.

The 3+1 rule is a joke IMO if we want to compete in Europe with the French clubs now. Why change it from 4+1, the national team has done fine with those rules up to now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

bilston wrote: »
    Ludik will be gone once Piutau arrives. Ludik hasn't let us down but let's face it Piutau won MOTM for NZ in SA earlier in the year, it is a significant upgrade.

If we are making a couple of signings up front then only Pienaar will remain of the current NIQs.

As for where Piutau plays, who knows, I like the idea of Olding at 15 though and I think Nelson is growing into the role nicely as well. With Tommy getting on and now with a serious injury to recover from it could be that wing may be more of a need for us.
    I think Piutau is left footed, might be better suited on the Left wing. Although a back line of
    15. Piutau 14. Trimble 13. Olding 12. McCloskley 11. Gilroy 10. Jackson 9. Pienaar would be up there with the top teams in Europe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

mogwai81 wrote: »
    I think Piutau is left footed, might be better suited on the Left wing. Although a back line of
    15. Piutau 14. Trimble 13. Olding 12. McCloskley 11. Gilroy 10. Jackson 9. Pienaar would be up there with the top teams in Europe!

In fairness that is a pretty good looking backline, even without Tommy Bowe or Payne ! you would have an attacking lot there. Shame that the ball would be kicked so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ulster have a strong currency so links with the likes of Vito is no surprise. Plus Rory can always leave a book of blank cheques behind the chip van at Ravenspan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

As for where Piutau plays, who knows, I like the idea of Olding at 15 though and I think Nelson is growing into the role nicely as well.

Surely this is a situation where Nicufora should be looking to get Nelson down to Munster next season? Would seem to be good for all involved, there are a lot of parallels to Jones who was in a similar situation when he moved south, if it worked out anything close to that for Nelson, it would be a big boost for Irish rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

The 3+1 rule is a joke IMO if we want to compete in Europe with the French clubs now. Why change it from 4+1, the national team has done fine with those rules up to now.

It needs binned. It was brought in to bring on Ireland players. Ireland has huge SID now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ah yes, the infamously fairly enforced 3+1 rule.

BJ Bootha
    Mario Sagario
    Mark Chisolm
    Tyler Bleyendaal
    Francis Saili (his mother was born on the Dingle Penisula believe it or not)
    Lucas Gonzales Amorosino (grew up in Moyross)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

errlloyd wrote:
    BJ Bootha Mario Sagario Mark Chisolm Tyler Bleyendaal Francis Saili (his mother was born on the Dingle Penisula believe it or not) Lucas Gonzales Amorosino (grew up in Moyross)

2 of those are short term deals which doesn't affect the quota of foreign players, not that it matters to you I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

errlloyd wrote: »
    Ah yes, the infamously fairly enforced 3+1 rule.

BJ Bootha
    Mario Sagario
    Mark Chisolm
    Tyler Bleyendaal
    Francis Saili (his mother was born on the Dingle Penisula believe it or not)
    Lucas Gonzales Amorosino (grew up in Moyross)

Only 3 of those are long term deals. 3 are jokers and Botha's contract is up in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Only 3 of those are long term deals. 3 are jokers and Botha's contract is up in January.

I am of course pulling some legs here. As a Leinster fan I can say little when we signed Brad thorn as "injury cover" but by the time the paperwork was complete Leo was back, we kept thorn anyway.

But I'm still bitter about Nathan Hines, and the different approach the IRFU took with other over 30 players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

errlloyd wrote: »
    I am of course pulling some legs here. As a Leinster fan I can say little when we signed Brad thorn as "injury cover" but by the time the paperwork was complete Leo was back, we kept thorn anyway.

But I'm still bitter about Nathan Hines, and the different approach the IRFU took with other over 30 players.

Thorn was a replacement for steven sykes

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

Oyonnax sacked their coach this week.

70:30 split

Very promising for Ulster : Oyannax do a France2k11

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Team for tomorrow.

(15-9): Peter Nelson, Andrew Trimble, Darren Cave, Luke Marshall, Craig Gilroy, Paddy Jackson, Ruan Pienaar; (1-8): Kyle McCall, Rory Best (captain), Ricky Lutton, Dan Tuohy, Franco van der Merwe, Robbie Diack, Chris Henry, Nick Williams;
    Replacements (16-23): Callum Black, Rob Herring, Wiehahn Herbst, Lewis Stevenson, Sean Reidy, Dave Shanahan, Ian Humphreys, Louis Ludik.

No McCloskey?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'd say he's being rested but then the squad is pretty much full strength otherwise.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No centre cover either, which is insane in our squad.

McCloskey is injured.

Ludik covers centre, but this is evidence that we probably do need to keep all our centres.

McCall deserves his selection. Lutton appears to be back in vogue too. Good to see that Kiss isn't afraid of the brave call (leaving out Herbst).

Big game for Luke at 12 and hopefully Nelson continues his run of form.

I don't recognise many on the Oyannax side but I'm sure they'll be handy at home.

An absolute must win game though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

what's up with Hendo ?

duckysauce wrote: »
    what's up with Hendo ?

He dislocated his finger a few times in the Argentina game and there was some ligament damage done. He had surgery to fix it and needs a few weeks for it to heal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

He dislocated his finger a few times in the Argentina game and there was some ligament damage done. He had surgery to fix it and needs a few weeks for it to heal.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

McCloskey is injured.

Ludik covers centre, but this is evidence that we probably do need to keep all our centres.

McCall deserves his selection. Lutton appears to be back in vogue too. Good to see that Kiss isn't afraid of the brave call (leaving out Herbst).

Big game for Luke at 12 and hopefully Nelson continues his run of form.

I don't recognise many on the Oyannax side but I'm sure they'll be handy at home.

An absolute must win game though.
    How serious is McCloskey's injury?

mogwai81 wrote: »
    How serious is McCloskey's injury?

Just taking it from uafc. Should be ok for next week.

Looks like the match is off. They're saying postponed but Glasgow said postponed earlier and then it was cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

With the packed rugby calendar it makes you wonder when these matches can be re-staged? Although isn't there a couple weekends during the 6N when there is no Pro 12 matches normally?

Quint2010 wrote: »
    With the packed rugby calendar it makes you wonder when these matches can be re-staged? Although isn't there a couple weekends during the 6N when there is no Pro 12 matches normally?

Ulster may be free but Oyonnax may not be. As far as I know Ulster have a game every week now until the 6Ns. The game may have to be played midweek. Not ideal but not that it needs saying it's not important at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Looks like the match is off. They're saying postponed but Glasgow said postponed earlier and then it was cancelled.

Postponed in this situation does mean cancelled today. Reschedule for another day.

• Advertisement

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Postponed in this situation does mean cancelled today. Reschedule for another day.

Yeah, I've just seen all the matches in France are cancelled.

Loving watching Piatau for Wasps. Can't wait to see him for Ulster.

Interesting comments there by the BT commentary team.

Al Eakin "Wasps are going to have to work hard to hold onto him (Piutau)"

Dallaglio "Well he has already signed for Ulster...I'll say nothing...but yeah he's Ulster's man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Interesting comments there by the BT commentary team.

Al Eakin "Wasps are going to have to work hard to hold onto him (Piutau)"

Dallaglio "Well he has already signed for Ulster...I'll say nothing...but yeah he's Ulster's man"

I heard that too. I kind of shouted at the screen that he is an ulster player from next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Well craig Doyle certainly wasn't too subtle there, bt seem to be really pushing this point of piutau staying at wasps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

case885 wrote: »
    Well craig Doyle certainly wasn't too subtle there, bt seem to be really pushing this point of piutau staying at wasps

Can I just go on record here to state that Craig Doyle is a knob and that I despise him.

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    Can I just go on record here to state that Craig Doyle is a knob and that I despise him.

It was Martin Bayfield who annoyed me more saying that Wasps will desperate to keep hold of Piutau. Doyle ust said that Ulster fans would have enjoyed his performance today.

At the end of the day Piutau has signed a contract with us. I will be looking forward to seeing him. He will sell a lot of season tickets.

If for whatever reason he doesn't come then Wasps will have to pay us a lot of money and presumably we will be able to bring someone else in.

But right now I really hope Piutau comes.

It was Martin Bayfield who annoyed me more saying that Wasps will desperate to keep hold of Piutau. Doyle ust said that Ulster fans would have enjoyed his performance today.

At the end of the day Piutau has signed a contract with us. I will be looking forward to seeing him. He will sell a lot of season tickets.

If for whatever reason he doesn't come then Wasps will have to pay us a lot of money and presumably we will be able to bring someone else in.

But right now I really hope Piutau comes.

Edit - David Flatman can go and feck himself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think Wasps might have a few bob now so they could make an offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Ulster-Team-e1447934219846.jpg

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

15. Louis Ludik; 14. Andrew Trimble, 13. Darren Cave, 12. Stuart McCloskey, 11. Craig Gilroy; 10. Paddy Jackson, 9. Ruan Pienaar; 1. Callum Black, 2. Rory Best (c), 3. Wiehahn Herbst, 4. Dan Tuohy, 5. Franco Van Der Merwe, 6. Iain Henderson, 7. Chris Henry, 8. Nick Williams

16. Rob Herring, 17. Kyle McCall, 18. Ricky Lutton, 19. Robbie Diack, 20. Roger Wilson, 21. Paul Marshall, 22. Ian Humphreys, 23. Peter Nelson

SIX Iain HENDERSON. Happy days!

• Advertisement

An odd aside, but our team lineup image format is ****ing great:

CULFy8IVAAAB6PB.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Great to see Henderson available.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

*A WILD HENDERSON APPEARS*

*somebody put in the gif of him against sarries as i dont have one*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Thats a really strong looking Sarries team, hopefully Ulster can get a result!

henderson.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    henderson.gif

I hope Ashton was put on his arse as well? :P (just cuts out before we can see)

madlad88 wrote: »
    I hope Ashton was put on his arse as well? :P (just cuts out before we can see)

ashton was the one who stopped him by pulling down Hendersons shorts...:eek:

When buying tickets can i avoid the service charge if I buy the ticket directly from the Ulster ticket office?
    For years I've always bought my tickets online (cause i'm lazy). Just getting a bit p*ssed with Ticketmaster service charges bumping up the price.

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    ashton was the one who stopped him by pulling down Hendersons shorts...:eek:

Acutually i was wrong it was their 6 who done it. Ashton was about effective as a tissue paper coat in the rain.

Jdbo4k.gif

So am I right in saying there's no legal way for someone in the south to watch the game tonight?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement