Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Comments

Disastrous injury update for Ulster & Ireland imo.

I think Ulster have more centres on the physio table than Leinster do in their squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

cmon now awec.

List out the backrow options at Ulster.

Where does he fit in?

Ryan?

He'd get games and would be an upgrade on Ross and maybe Reidy, maybe on a par with Diack. So yes he would be a step up for the depth but he wouldn't be in the frame for the starting XV all things being equal.

bilston wrote: »
    Ryan?

He'd get games and would be an upgrade on Ross and maybe Reidy, maybe on a par with Diack. So yes he would be a step up for the depth but he wouldn't be in the frame for the starting XV all things being equal.
    Do the list...

Do the list...

Don't mind if I do! I love a good list Emmet!

Henderson
    Henry
    Williams
    Wilson
    Diack
    Ryan
    Reidy
    Faloon
    Ross
    Joyce/Taggart/Dow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Ryan?

Ryan has really never kicked on from his very promising start. Looks like he's just carrying too much weight and looks exhausted during matches. But he would make a decent 7 if he got fitter.

• Advertisement

This season

Sean Reidy
    Date Competition Result Started T C P DG YC RC Pts Mins
    27/11/2015 Guinness PRO12 Leinster Rugby 8-3Ulster Rugby Yes 0 0 0 0 43
    08/11/2015 Guinness PRO12 Newport Gwent Dragons 12-19Ulster Rugby No 0 0 0 0 9
    30/10/2015 Guinness PRO12 Munster Rugby 32-28 Ulster Rugby Yes 0 0 0 0 53
    23/10/2015 Guinness PRO12 Ulster Rugby 24-17 Cardiff Blues Yes 0 0 0 0 71
    16/10/2015 Guinness PRO12 Edinburgh Rugby 16-10 Ulster Rugby Yes 1 0 0 0 5 80
    02/10/2015 Guinness PRO12 Ulster Rugby 48-7 Benetton Rugby Treviso SRL Yes 1 0 0 0 5 80
    04/09/2015 Guinness PRO12 Ulster Rugby 28-6 The Ospreys No 0 0 0 0 13
    Total 349

Willie Faloon
    23/10/2015 Guinness PRO12 Ulster Rugby 24-17 Cardiff Blues No 0 0 0 0 9
    16/10/2015 Guinness PRO12 Edinburgh Rugby 16-10 Ulster Rugby No 0 0 0 0 28
    12/09/2015 Guinness PRO12 Scarlets 22-12Ulster Rugby Yes 0 0 0 0 80
    04/09/2015 Guinness PRO12 Ulster Rugby 28-6 The Ospreys Yes 0 0 0 0 67
    Total 184

Clive Ross
    04/12/2015 Guinness PRO12 Ulster Rugby 14-7 Edinburgh Rugby No 0 0 0 0 75
    02/10/2015 Guinness PRO12 Ulster Rugby 48-7 Benetton Rugby Treviso SRL No 0 0 0 0 11
    12/09/2015 Guinness PRO12 Scarlets 22-12Ulster Rugby No 0 0 0 0 22
    04/09/2015 Guinness PRO12 Ulster Rugby 28-6 The Ospreys No 0 0 0 0 41
    Total 149

Fair amount of minutes played by guys below him in your list.

Now, I'm not saying Dom Ryan is the Messiah (or a very naughty boy), but I'd suspect we'd all be in agreement that he is a better player than those guys (now), who are getting minutes for Ulster, and also could be 'more better' than them with decent exposure too.
    awec wrote: »
    case885 wrote: »
    Dom Ryan would surely be an upgrade in squad depth.
    Not by much!

awec is either overrating the guys above, or underrating Ryan here.

This season

Sean Reidy
    27/11/2015 Guinness PRO12 Leinster Rugby 8-3Ulster Rugby Yes 0 0 0 0 43
    08/11/2015 Guinness PRO12 Newport Gwent Dragons 12-19Ulster Rugby No 0 0 0 0 9
    30/10/2015 Guinness PRO12 Munster Rugby 32-28 Ulster Rugby Yes 0 0 0 0 53
    23/10/2015 Guinness PRO12 Ulster Rugby 24-17 Cardiff Blues Yes 0 0 0 0 71
    16/10/2015 Guinness PRO12 Edinburgh Rugby 16-10 Ulster Rugby Yes 1 0 0 0 5 80
    02/10/2015 Guinness PRO12 Ulster Rugby 48-7 Benetton Rugby Treviso SRL Yes 1 0 0 0 5 80
    04/09/2015 Guinness PRO12 Ulster Rugby 28-6 The Ospreys No 0 0 0 0 13
    Total 349

Willie Faloon
    23/10/2015 Guinness PRO12 Ulster Rugby 24-17 Cardiff Blues No 0 0 0 0 9
    16/10/2015 Guinness PRO12 Edinburgh Rugby 16-10 Ulster Rugby No 0 0 0 0 28
    12/09/2015 Guinness PRO12 Scarlets 22-12Ulster Rugby Yes 0 0 0 0 80
    04/09/2015 Guinness PRO12 Ulster Rugby 28-6 The Ospreys Yes 0 0 0 0 67
    Total 184

Clive Ross
    04/12/2015 Guinness PRO12 Ulster Rugby 14-7 Edinburgh Rugby No 0 0 0 0 75
    02/10/2015 Guinness PRO12 Ulster Rugby 48-7 Benetton Rugby Treviso SRL No 0 0 0 0 11
    12/09/2015 Guinness PRO12 Scarlets 22-12Ulster Rugby No 0 0 0 0 22
    04/09/2015 Guinness PRO12 Ulster Rugby 28-6 The Ospreys No 0 0 0 0 41
    Total 149

Fair amount of minutes played by guys below him in your list.

Now, I'm not saying Dom Ryan is the Messiah (or a very naughty boy), but I'd suspect we'd all be in agreement that he is a better player than those guys (now), who are getting minutes for Ulster, and also could be 'more better' than them with decent exposure too.

awec is either overrating the guys above, or underrating Ryan here.

As a 6/7 I agree because Faloon gets injured a lot and reidy is just not physical enough but has come on this year. Ross is intresting because he was excellent against Edinburgh and he's being played in his proper position and is in his 2nd year of pro rugby. He has the size and ball skills so hopefully he pushes on. Diack is great in the lineout and restarts but is powder puff carrying into traffic and Wilson is looking tired.

They have to do something. They need a better back up 7 and a n international 6/8 if Williams goes. Think Ryan fits the 7 slot.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm rating Ryan based on what I've seen of him. There is a reason that plenty of Leinster fans wouldn't be sad to see him go, he's not really that good.

We could sign better, so if we take him it should be on the provision we can sign someone who can actually push for a starting spot (Ryan won't).

We'll need two back rows realistically, someone who can play 8 is a must.

If Nucifora is telling us the likes of Ryan solves our problems then hopefully were laughing in his face and telling him to wise up or else were in big trouble.

'not that good' is relative to who is available at Leinster.

Not being good enough to start ahead of SOB or Ruddock, or give gametime to instead of Conan or VDF does not mean 'not good'.

He's plenty better than the 3 guys named above that have all managed gametime this season at Ulster. He would absolutely add to the squad.

It's very weird to pretend otherwise.

'not that good' is relative to who is available at Leinster.

Not being good enough to start ahead of SOB or Ruddock, or give gametime to instead of Conan or VDF does not mean 'not good'.

He's plenty better than the 3 guys named above that have all managed gametime this season at Ulster. He would absolutely add to the squad.

It's very weird to pretend otherwise.

No, I mean not that good when he has played. He hasn't played loads but when he has he has been close to awful.

• Advertisement

No, I mean not that good when he has played. He hasn't played loads but when he has he has been close to awful.

Was excellent v Bath off the bench was he not?

Again, don't forget the main point. He's almost certainly better than the 3 named above that have had gametime.

Again, don't forget the main point. He's almost certainly better than the 3 named above that have had gametime.

He is, but not by loads. He would be a gamble to sign, especially when option one was proven talent. Ryan would at least be at Ulster all year round though because we know he's not going to get a sniff of international rugby.

Either way, he is not worth a swap with any of our centres. All our centres are better in their positions than he is in his, Ulster would be getting a poor deal there.

Don't think it'll happen anyway.

He is, but not by loads. He would be a gamble to sign.

Either way, he is not worth a swap with any of our centres. All our centres are better in their positions than he is in his, Ulster would be getting a poor deal there.

Don't think it'll happen anyway.

There was talk of Luke Marshall leaving Ulster so I wouldn't say that either. He'd do a job as backup 7 to Henry

blackdog1 wrote: »
    There was talk of Luke Marshall leaving Ulster so I wouldn't say that either. He'd do a job as backup 7 to Henry

Marshall for Ryan is a bit of a poor deal from our point of view though IMO.

I wouldn't be gutted to see Marshall go because his playing time will probably be limited, but it would be annoying if all we got in return was Dom Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

The rumours that be suggest Vito signing for La Rochelle is practically a done deal.

I don't like rumours :(

Maybe we can find some compromising pictures of Stander and trade him for Marshall instead of Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Ye can have Copeland and be happy with ye're lot :-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I think there is a point that we've had to play those 3 as we have no other options. If Ryan signed he would also play a fair bit. Not because he is way better than anyone else - more the fact that our options are so limited, that anyone close to the squad who has back row experience will play.

Listen Ryan would deepen our back row options so yes I'd take him. But I think what we are saying is that we need more than Dom Ryan to solve our imminent back row crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭torqtorq

Les Kiss is on "Off The Ball" sometime in the next hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Star paper today says Henderson gone for season

• Advertisement

Seems the person on uafc who brought as the news that Vito was vetoed was misinformed. Vito just had a change of heart. However it is possible that a second row was vetoed, presumably so that Henderson can play second row. Whether I agree with that or not it at least has logic to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

If Google translate is anything to go by, Toulouse fans aren't entirely confident. Huh¿ haha

If Google translate is anything to go by, Toulouse fans aren't entirely confident. Huh¿ haha

That worries me even more. Some Toulouse arrogance was about the only thing I was holding onto.

We might pull it off to be fair at home, it could just be one of those nights, but unfortunately we are back to the stage of plucky one off wins against bigger and better opposition. Pretty much where we where 10 years ago. It's very disappointing that it has come to this. Of course the injuries are hard to legislate for but it happens to us every fecking season. Surely the penny about depth must have dropped by now.

I think we need a squad of up to 45 players capable of playing Pro 12 rugby to a high standard. I also wonder if we should look at liberalising the rules about overseas players but maybe maintain the limit on the number that can be in any one match day squad. That way you allow the provinces to legislate for injuries a bit more. Maybe allow each province 6 or 7 NIQs but only allow 4 in any one match day squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

That worries me even more. Some Toulouse arrogance was about the only thing I was holding onto.

We might pull it off to be fair at home, it could just be one of those nights, but unfortunately we are back to the stage of plucky one off wins against bigger and better opposition. Pretty much where we where 10 years ago. It's very disappointing that it has come to this. Of course the injuries are hard to legislate for but it happens to us every fecking season. Surely the penny about depth must have dropped by now.

Have faith. It's two years to the week since Connacht beat them in Toulouse. See miracles do happen! ;)

Seems the person on uafc who brought as the news that Vito was vetoed was misinformed. Vito just had a change of heart. However it is possible that a second row was vetoed, presumably so that Henderson can play second row. Whether I agree with that or not it at least has logic to it.

No no no no no no no! Honestly we are insane to do this, it makes absolutely no sense at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

We've all been raging about what this guy said :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Teams for tomorrow, slightly ominous for Ulster. 6-2 split on the bench for Toulouse. Big night for Alan O'Connor.

15. Louis Ludik; 14. Andrew Trimble, 13. Luke Marshall, 12. Stuart McCloskey, 11. Craig Gilroy; 10. Paddy Jackson, 9. Ruan Pienaar; 1. Kyle McCall, 2. Rory Best, 3. Wiehahn Herbst, 4. Alan O'Connor, 5. Franco Van Der Merwe, 6. Robbie Diack, 7. Chris Henry, 8. Nick Williams
    16. Rob Herring, 17. Andy Warwick, 18. Ricky Lutton, 19. Clive Ross, 20. Roger Wilson, 21. Paul Marshall, 22. Ian Humphreys, 23. Rory Scholes

15. Clément Poitrenaud; 14. Vincent Clerc, 13. Gael Fickou, 12. Toby Flood, 11. Maxime Médard; 10. Luke McAlister, 9. Sébastien Bézy; 1. Vasil Kakovin, 2. Corey Flynn, 3. Census Johnston, 4. Yoann Maestri, 5. Joe Tekori, 6. Yacouba Camara, 7. Thierry Dusautoir, 8. Louis Picamoles
    16. Julien Marchand, 17. Cyril Baille, 18. Dorian Aldegheri, 19. Edwin Maka, 20. Gregory Lamboley, 21. Gillian Galan, 22. Jean-Marc Doussain, 23. Alexis Palisson

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

Teams for tomorrow, slightly ominous for Ulster. 6-2 split on the bench for Toulouse. Big night for Alan O'Connor.

15. Louis Ludik; 14. Andrew Trimble, 13. Luke Marshall, 12. Stuart McCloskey, 11. Craig Gilroy; 10. Paddy Jackson, 9. Ruan Pienaar; 1. Kyle McCall, 2. Rory Best, 3. Wiehahn Herbst, 4. Alan O'Connor, 5. Franco Van Der Merwe, 6. Robbie Diack, 7. Chris Henry, 8. Nick Williams
    16. Rob Herring, 17. Andy Warwick, 18. Ricky Lutton, 19. Clive Ross, 20. Roger Wilson, 21. Paul Marshall, 22. Ian Humphreys, 23. Rory Scholes

15. Clément Poitrenaud; 14. Vincent Clerc, 13. Gael Fickou, 12. Toby Flood, 11. Maxime Médard; 10. Luke McAlister, 9. Sébastien Bézy; 1. Vasil Kakovin, 2. Corey Flynn, 3. Census Johnston, 4. Yoann Maestri, 5. Joe Tekori, 6. Yacouba Camara, 7. Thierry Dusautoir, 8. Louis Picamoles
    16. Julien Marchand, 17. Cyril Baille, 18. Dorian Aldegheri, 19. Edwin Maka, 20. Gregory Lamboley, 21. Gillian Galan, 22. Jean-Marc Doussain, 23. Alexis Palisson

Massive night for young O'Connor. Best of luck to him

Game on tv lads?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

BT I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

madlad88 wrote: »
    Massive night for young O'Connor. Best of luck to him

Game on tv lads?

Its live on BT Sport Europe. Highlights on TG4.

Yea we won't win.

Yea we won't win.

That's the spirit!!

mfceiling wrote: »
    That's the spirit!!

That's what doak has done to us.

mfceiling wrote: »
    That's the spirit!!

I've been Doaked.

ttttttt.jpg

What failure does.Take note Logan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭torqtorq

The bookies have Ulster as 3 point favourites. That must be some algorithm that they are using!

torqtorq wrote: »
    The bookies have Ulster as 3 point favourites. That must be some algorithm that they are using!

They must be using the wrong cogs the on the enigma machine

We shouldn't win but I wouldn't be shocked if we pulled it off.

Good to see McCall and O'Connor getting starts at this level, a few more like them coming through in thenpack wouldn't go amiss.

torqtorq wrote: »

Toulose are sketchy on the road and Ulster have the better half backs and backs in general.

I dunno about the Toulouse forwards.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Toulose are sketchy on the road and Ulster have the better half backs and backs in general.

Diack at 6 means we're playing with a two man back row.

Against Dusatoir and Picamoles.

Doesn't matter how good we are from 9 out, they might not even touch the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Yea we won't win.

Toulouse, despite their team on paper, aren't great shakes and haven't been for a good few years now...especially away in Europe. If yer pack can survive at all, ye absolutely can win.

S12b wrote: »
    Toulouse, despite their team on paper, aren't great shakes and haven't been for a good few years now...especially away in Europe. If yer pack can survive at all, ye absolutely can win.

We have no pack, that's the issue. No Hendersone either and powder puff at 6. A prop in Herbst who will give away penalties etc etc.... I could go on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

CatFromHue wrote: »

Ulster with better half backs yes but looking at the three-quarters Toulouse look pretty formidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

looking forward to the game. I don't expect a win but a bit of pride in the performance would go a long way. 9-15 we look good, if we can just brake the gainline then get trimble and gilroy involved you never know....

Looking forward to McCloskey and Marshall pairing.

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    looking forward to the game. I don't expect a win but a bit of pride in the performance would go a long way. 9-15 we look good, if we can just brake the gainline then get trimble and gilroy involved you never know....

Looking forward to McCloskey and Marshall pairing.

Big chance for Luke. He is probably in the team now until Jan it would seem so I really hope he grabs his chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Big chance for Luke. He is probably in the team now until Jan it would seem so I really hope he grabs his chance.

with his hands...not head first ;)

SM and LM are as big centre wise as we've ever had before. Just hope they can break the line and create a few scoring opportunities.
    I know it's sounds a bit strange but we're still in Europe...something still to play for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

does wayne barnes not know what a forward pass is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Some lovely passing by Ulster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Nice.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement