Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Rather shamefully I totally forgot about him.. He was fairly decent needed more experience.

He played wing, very quick, but like everyone at ulster wanted to play centre...!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The Black Stags

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    He played wing, very quick, but like everyone at ulster wanted to play centre...!

Yeah, I don't recall him having much of a step on him - more just hard running lines wasn't it?

Yeah, I don't recall him having much of a step on him - more just hard running lines wasn't it?

He had a run of games a few seasons ago where he couldn't stop scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Allen was never going to play for Ireland. Seymour may have been capped by Ireland at some point but he would probably have been limited in the number he would have won. Plus if he had stayed at Ulster he would have been in competition with Trimble and Bowe at their peaks.

Scholes is a bit different. Take Gilroy and Zebo out of the equation, is there a better young winger in Ireland? Scholes could win a lot of caps for Ireland. He would be mad to commit to Scotland IMO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Scholes would be the guy I hope Nucifora would be recommending Connacht to.

They've Healy, Poolman, Niyi, and Carr so he'd be very much in the mix there and as a player I think he'd like their type of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

bilston wrote: »
    Scholes is a bit different. Take Gilroy and Zebo out of the equation, is there a better young winger in Ireland? Scholes could win a lot of caps for Ireland. He would be mad to commit to Scotland IMO.

If he goes there, is given good money and sets up a home there, you wouldn't know what could happen.

Scotland are very pro-active when it comes to securing players from other countries either through lineage or residency; 10 of their RWC squad weren't actually Scottish.

Scholes is destined for Irish caps but if he figures he might not have a good shot of getting the jersey in the next few years, he might well consider his options. I wouldn't have thought he'd ever consider leaving Ulster at this point but that appears to be under consideration too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Rory Scholes would be a big loss. He is a quality player with superb turn of speed. Big loss to Ulster and to Ireland if he goes down the Scottish route.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

Depends if it's a Northern Irish £50 note or a proper one. ;)

Hopefully they've used NI 50s so he'll struggle to spend them anywhere else. We need to let him know we've scraped the finest looking Millies in Belfast together to welcome him.

Great news about Olding. Can't wait to see what he does going forward.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

rsh118 wrote: »
    Hopefully they've used NI 50s so he'll struggle to spend them anywhere else. We need to let him know we've scraped the finest looking Millies in Belfast together to welcome him.

Great news about Olding. Can't wait to see what he does going forward.

I've got a Boojum loyalty card with 2 stamps on it, if he wants that... never know, could be what sways him.

• Advertisement

Just spent 15 minutes watching Charles Piutau clips on Youtube.

Anyone who says we don't need him or is a waste of NIQ spot needs certified. The guy is sheer class.

Just spent 15 minutes watching Charles Piutau clips on Youtube.

Anyone who says we don't need him or is a waste of NIQ spot needs certified. The guy is sheer class.

Having spent the last couple of years in NZ, I can assure you he is in the top 10 players they have post World Cup. The only reason he didn't go was his 'treachery'.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He was excellent against Leinster in the RDS, really a stand out player.

When the announcement for the World Cup was done, not one of my NZ rugby mates weren't stunned he wasn't in the squad. He imposes himself at will, moves intelligently, and lifts the game of everyone around him.

Tongans, on a side note, also seen as the hardest of islanders. Used to work with some of them on a farm and they used to fight and eat rocks to prove who was the hardest. Mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

You can never have enough quality in the backs and Ulster's backline next season could be frightening.

Piutau, Payne, McCloskey, Marshall, Olding, Jackson, Pienaar, Cave, Trimble, Gilroy, Bowe, Scholes, Ludik.

That must be one of the best in Europe.

You can never have enough quality in the backs and Ulster's backline next season could be frightening.

Piutau, Payne, McCloskey, Marshall, Olding, Jackson, Pienaar, Cave, Trimble, Gilroy, Bowe, Scholes, Ludik.

Scholes better be staying.

Does anyone know why he wasn't in the last 2 (?) matches? Stockdale was picked instead. Can maybe understand him not benching with guys coming in from the 6N squad.

• Advertisement

Scholes better be staying.

Does anyone know why he wasn't in the last 2 (?) matches? Stockdale was picked instead. Can maybe understand him not benching with guys coming in from the 6N squad.

Scholes was injured.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think Scholes is gone.

awec wrote: »
    I think Scholes is gone.

Don't say things like that!

The word on the streets of Cyberville suggest Scholes is lost. But hopefully will return down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The word on the streets of Cyberville suggest Scholes is lost. But hopefully will return down the line.

That's a big blow. Trimble and Bowe will be phased out over the next 2-3 seasons and Scholes was set to step up, if not sooner.

• Advertisement

Could we crowdfund a new contract for him??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I think Scholes is gone.

That's really disappointing if it's true. Not only would he be a major player for Ulster in the next year or two but I would have expected him to start picking up Ireland caps before long at the rate he's going.

Bazzo wrote: »
    That's really disappointing if it's true. Not only would he be a major player for Ulster in the next year or two but I would have expected him to start picking up Ireland caps before long at the rate he's going.

If that's the only collateral from the Piutau deal, it's probably a decent enough price to pay...

That's a lot of quality backs, Stockdale too. How many of those guys will actually be in the Ireland camp next season? Will Bowe, Trimble, Payne, McCloskey, Marshall, Olding and Jackson be away? Gilroy?

Leaving, Ludik, Piutau, Cave, Stockdale, Pienaar, Peter Nelson, Paul Marshall?

We'd be a bit bare come 6N time when Ireland come to raid our backs. Especially factoring in any injuries that will always be a part of the game.

That's a lot of quality backs, Stockdale too. How many of those guys will actually be in the Ireland camp next season? Will Bowe, Trimble, Payne, McCloskey, Marshall, Olding and Jackson be away? Gilroy?

Leaving, Ludik, Piutau, Cave, Stockdale, Pienaar, Peter Nelson, Paul Marshall?

We'd be a bit bare come 6N time when Ireland come to raid our backs. Especially factoring in any injuries that will always be a part of the game.

Joe doesn't really rate our backs so nothing to worry about there

Yeah I was going to say. Everyone from outside Ulster keeps lauding our backs, but when it comes to Ireland they want nothing to do with them!!

In fairness, Olding and Marshall already have a caps under Joe and Trimble, Bowe and Payne are all first choice too.

That's 5 out of 8. I'd be delighted if it were 8/8 though.

Where is Scholes supposed to be going? Do we know?

You'll never guess where Rory Scholes is off to!!!! Click HERE to find out!!

You'll never guess where Rory Scholes is off to!!!! Click HERE to find out!!

darth_vader_noooo.jpg

• Advertisement

Initially the talk was an English club, but the more recent rumour is Edinburgh.

I hope he understands that if he ever togs out for Saracens he'll never be welcome at Ravenhill again.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Scythica

Embra is what I heard too.

Big shame really, in fact I'd nearly take him over Bowe at this stage, seeing as Bowe has stepped into punditry a few times now I imagine a retirement may be phasing fairly soon...

On the other hand this gives is the option of Stockdale getting more time on the wing, big difference to Gilroy and could be interesting seeing how that battle goes (assuming Charlie on the other wing and Ludik/Payne to fb)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Scholes leaving would be a big loss but a very understandable move for him.

Ye will have Payne/Ludik/Nelson at 15 with Piutau/Bowe/Trimble/Gilroy/Stockdale on the wings. Simply too much depth for Scholes to be guaranteed any consistent game time.

I'd actually applaud him for the move if he goes. If he feels he's good enough and is ready to be a first teamer, fair play for him for stepping up and making the move. I'd actually be critical of a few young guys, especially in Leinster for this....they're good enough to be playing regularly at senior level but seem happy to sit and get their 4 or 5 appearances a season at Leinster....I'm thinking Dan Leavy, Adam Byrne, Tom Daly amongst others.

It's with players like the above that I'd love to see a loan system between the provinces led by Nucifora....if Leavy went up to Ulster or Byrne to Connacht, they would see a hell of a lot more game time than they're currently getting. Now I accept players can't be forced to move but I really feel there should be more of these kind of moves going on. It would also have the added advantage of keeping players in Ireland e.g Scholes to Connacht where he would prob be a starter.

If Scholes does move I would hope he'd go to another Irish province.

Connacht have a strong need for another winger and he'd close to first choice there, if not first choice.

I'd rate him higher the ROM, Sweetnam, and GvdH in Munster too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I would echo the concerns expressed by bliston. I don't think it is a bad move for him, but I think it has the strong possibility of being a bad move for Irish rugby. If he would have opted to stay on I think he would have found himself in the Irish frame within a couple of seasons. However if he goes abroad, although he'll get the game-time he deserves and probably the money too, but there's there's a good chance he'll really hurt his chances of getting into the Irish picture. And I think it doesn't take very long in those circumstances for a player to weigh up other options, other options being playing for Scotland.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    If Scholes does move I would hope he'd go to another Irish province.

Connacht have a strong need for another winger and he'd close to first choice there, if not first choice.

I'd rate him higher the ROM, Sweetnam, and GvdH in Munster too.

Yeah I was going to ask how close he would be to the Munster starting XV.

The Indo did a piece on the Leinster backline yesterday.

How would these two backlines fare against each other?

Ulster
    9 Ruan Pienaar
    10 Paddy Jackson
    11 Craig Gilroy
    12 Stuart Olding
    13 Jared Payne
    14 Andrew Trimble
    15 Charles Piutau

Leinster
    9 Luke McGrath
    10 Jonathan Sexton
    11 Luke Fitzgerald
    12 Robbie Henshaw
    13 Garry Ringrose
    14 Isa Nacewa
    15 Rob Kearney

It would be an interesting tussle.

Actually a full strength Leinster against a full strength Ulster next season would be huge. Hopefully the games aren't scheduled at a time that they are neutered by absences.

In all of this I wonder if Munster are in danger of being left behind a bit?

Can't believe you picked Payne at 13 bilston. :mad:

Have you no shame?

Can't believe you picked Payne at 13 bilston. :mad:

Have you no shame?

Oh I'm not. That's just what I think our first chiice backline will be.

Mine would be

Pienaar
    Jackson
    Piutau
    McCloskey
    Olding
    Trimble
    Payne

I might even stick Olding at 12 and Marshall at 13 and I probably wouldn't be far off picking Gilroy over Trimble, that said given another season Stockdale might be pushing the starting team as well. He is definitely a work in progress but to me he has the raw materials to be really good. Shame we probably won't be talking about Scholes as well. I haven't even mentioned Tommy or DC!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Actually a full strength Leinster against a full strength Ulster next season would be huge. Hopefully the games aren't scheduled at a time that they are neutered by absences.
    Im getting turned on thinking about this. Cant flipping wait.

• Advertisement

damianmcr wrote: »
    Im getting turned on thinking about this. Cant flipping wait.

Leinster can make up for almost never bringing Brian up north by playing that team.

Leinster can make up for almost never bringing Brian up north by playing that team.

BOD did play a few times to be fair. He used to toy with us though. I always got the impression he maybe didn't have a huge amount of respect for us. A bit like what you were saying about Kiwis and Ireland. But he did play up here a fair bit.

ROG on the other hand hardly ever played at Ravenhill.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35600151

Interview with Bryn. Some good stuff here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

An article in the independent today has a list of centrally contracted players with Jared Payne 2018 TBC, I presume he'll stay now with henshaw gone to Leinster.

case885 wrote: »
    An article in the independent today has a list of centrally contracted players with Jared Payne 2018 TBC, I presume he'll stay now with henshaw gone to Leinster.

He could go to Connacht.... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

It's a pity there's no wolfhounds game this year as Scholes would probably be involved, efforts should be made to lock him down for the test side as he is a class act.

• Advertisement

Will Scholes be the only one who goes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Will Scholes be the only one who goes?

Sam Arnold has already been confirmed as going to Munster.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Sam Arnold has already been confirmed as going to Munster.

Aye, I caught that one which I think is a good move for the lad. Just worried that big names coming in = local lads out...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

CbgZMmVW4AAps3f.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Just thinking, I am going to be all over a wager on Ulster for the Heino next year if they get a decent seeding.

Piutau, Bowe, Payne, McCloskey, Trimble, Jackson, Pienaar, Coetzee, Henry, Henderson, Tuohy, Van Der Merwe, Ah You, Best, McCall
    That’s an unreal team. Possibly the strongest starting provincial 15 since Leinster in 2012. And it can’t even accommodate Cave, Marshall, Olding, Ludik, Girloy. If ye get Conan (as the rumours are now suggesting) or someone similar to provide a bit of depth in the back row you have a serious, serious shout.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement