Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Really shocking tackling again, very soft try.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

That Leelow (?) guy is dancing through everyone.

Really poor from Ulster now.

That's the nail in the coffin....

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Rubbish. Pure rubbish.

Dave Shanahan is on, for 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Henry shouldn't be playing the way reidy has been going. Reidy used to be very soft in the tackle but he's fixed that the last few games

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The Black Stags

Are are guys unfit or something our defence was good for the first 60? maybe. Then they started really slipping off people.

When Arnold went off Gilroy went to FB and Olding into the center. It was just before Patchell's try. Not sure if that had anything to do with the defensive collapse.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

How did PJ play?

Today would be a day for him to be making Schmidt take note.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    How did PJ play?

He did a lovely little Sexton style wraparound with Arnold to set up Gilroy's try.

It was a pretty poor match really. The entire first half felt like it was scrums and penalties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

CatFromHue wrote: »
    How did PJ play?

Had one horrible penalty miss in the 2nd half. If goalkicking is a factor in Schmidts decision that mightn't help.

Match rubbish. Ulster rubbish. Disgraceful result.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The Black Stags

When Arnold went off Gilroy went to FB and Olding into the center. It was just before Patchell's try. Not sure if that had anything to do with the defensive collapse.

Yeah I agree. Had a pretty major impact - don't think it was even noted by the commentators (Big Jim).

But even the forwards were sliding off tackles. :(

Yeah I agree. Had a pretty major impact - don't think it was even noted by the commentators (Big Jim).

But even the forwards were sliding off tackles. :(

Maybe but I doubt it. 19 year old Arnold was hardly the one holding the defensive effort together from the centre, and Olding would be more than capable of that anyway.

It seemed like a total systems failure to me, loads of individuals just started falling off tackles.

Not a great outcome at all, Edinburgh and Munster nipping at the heels now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Another truly awful performance. Really makes you wonder what's wrong. Not like we've loads away to Ireland camp and I know there's some injuries but that's no different to the other teams who seem to hold it together.

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Another truly awful performance. Really makes you wonder what's wrong. Not like we've loads away to Ireland camp and I know there's some injuries but that's no different to the other teams who seem to hold it together.

There seems to have been a lot of chopping and changing of players lately. I know there's been some away with Ireland but it feels like Ulster haven't started the same 15 two weeks in a row this year.

I'm not saying that's what's wrong but it can't be helping much either.

To me it looked like a lack of commitment and concentration. First up tackles being missed far too easily and the defence from kick chases was atrocious. Gilroy and Williams got done badly in 2 examples.

I only saw from 50 mins onwards but Olding continues to look shap, his cover tackle on Fish was outstanding. The 6N has proably come to early for him but should be involved in SA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Didn't even watch it, think I made the right call.

shuffol wrote: »
    I only saw from 50 mins onwards but Olding continues to look shap, his cover tackle on Fish was outstanding. The 6N has proably come to early for him but should be involved in SA.

I wonder where he'll be involved for Ireland.

He's played in 3, maybe 4, positions for Ulster since he's been back. He's looked decent in all of them.

I can't see him getting that much time at 10 ahead of Jackson for Ulster unless he really impresses there in training. Ulster have a lot of centres but then with Piutau coming next season and Payne Ludik still there too there's a lot of options at FB.

From an Irish point of view I think we could do with another really good option at FB. The problem with him being moved around at Ulster could be that he ends up the versatile bench man for Ireland.

• Advertisement

Has there been any updates of Marshall or Arnold's injuries?

Arnold looked like he was in a lot of pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Number 137

How did Arnold and Stockdale perform?

Number 137 wrote: »
    How did Arnold and Stockdale perform?

Arnold was good, set up the try but went off with a Hamstring injury.

Stockdale was poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I don't think Stockdale is a wing long term. I can see him in the centre eventually.

Hagz wrote: »
    I don't think Stockdale is a wing long term. I can see him in the centre eventually.

He's only 19 but I am not convinced yet. I don't think he's ready.

Did he come through as a centre? I thought he did and was playing on the wing to ease him in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Didn't watch the match yesterday so I'll bow to others assessment but up until now I've been a bit bemused by some of the criticism flying his direction. He has looked a real threat going forward but with a bit to learn defensively.

I'd have said the same about Tommy Bowe or Andrew Trimble at 19, except that neither of them were near the Ulster team at that age.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Did he come through as a centre? I thought he did and was playing on the wing to ease him in.

I think he's pretty slow for a winger so you are probably right.

bilston wrote: »
    Didn't watch the match yesterday so I'll bow to others assessment but up until now I've been a bit bemused by some of the criticism flying his direction. He has looked a real threat going forward but with a bit to learn defensively.

I'd have said the same about Tommy Bowe or Andrew Trimble at 19, except that neither of them were near the Ulster team at that age.

Yesterday was probably his worst showing to date. He missed a tackle (with a really bad attempt) that led to their try to take the lead.

As you say though he is only 19. I think there's a good player in there but he's not ready yet.

He reminds me a lot of Adam Byrne at Leinster.

• Advertisement

Is Arnold Irish qualified?

I know he came through the Ulster academy but he's English, isn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Played U20s, think he has Irish grand parents.

He's English but he is IQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Number 137

Arnold played u20's last season and I'm nearly certain he played Irish Youths before that.

He looked decent yesterday. The move to Munster could be very good for him. Lots of competition for the 12/13 shirts at Ulster, less so at Munster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

He is. As others have mentioned has played all irish age grades. Came through the Irish exiles set up.
    Number 137 wrote: »
    Arnold played u20's last season and I'm nearly certain he played Irish Youths before that.
    He did. Played 2 years of Ireland u18 Clubs
    He looked decent yesterday. The move to Munster could be very good for him. Lots of competition for the 12/13 shirts at Ulster, less so at Munster.
    Less competition in Munster but hopefully his move doesn't affect Scannell as a 12 too much...

I think Arnold can play 13 too?

Uh huh but his move could shift Saili inside to his natural position.

Arnold out for 2-3 weeks. Luke Marshall will have a fitness test later this week.

Henderson and Bowe are both expected back for the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

Stop it. You aren't allowed to say that. Any discussion of developing further centres needs to be banned on boards. Someone needs to let the academy know, though obviously they read here and UAFC.

Stockdale does look a little slow, but for such a big lad I think he lacks aggression when he carries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭sfbdqc

awec wrote: »
    He's English but he is IQ.

Irish parents.. he is irish to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

New deal for Luke Marshall until 2018

Rory Scholes to Edinburgh confirmed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Any word on Payne's status?

Munster need a proper full back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Clegg wrote: »
    Any word on Payne's status?

Munster need a proper full back.

His contract status? Signed on with Ulster again there in the last few weeks.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/36953.php#.VtbYlvmLRpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Did Scholes leave for gametime?
    If so it's a shame he couldn't have been convinced to move to one of the provinces, probably Munster or Connacht, as he looks like a real talent

I hope he's going for 2 years with a view to returning.

Losing Scholes was the price they paid with having two 30+ year old wingers on the downside of their career signed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

How long would Scholes have to stay in Scotland in order to qualify to play for their national team?

Looks a real prospect - would hate to lose him from Irish rugby entirely

How long would Scholes have to stay in Scotland in order to qualify to play for their national team?

Looks a real prospect - would hate to lose him from Irish rugby entirely

3 years like anyone anywhere.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement