Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

32-0 now. Bonus point secured by Small Paul. Connacht result looking good for Ulster too.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

20-0 to Ulster. They've had 2 tries disallowed. First was so so but the second should definitely have stood.

I haven't been watching the game but it wouldn't be an Ulster match without Clancy screwing us over at some point. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

awec wrote: »
    I haven't been watching the game but it wouldn't be an Ulster match without Clancy screwing us over at some point. :D

Was poor again. Bad tackling, lack of go forward and bad decisions are destroying us. Lucky to get 5 points against Zebre at home tells you everything you need to know.

On a positive note Ian mckinley played ok!!

awec wrote: »

Not 100% on the first one but the second one was called for a knock on even though it went down and back. Clancy says to the TMO after watching it 5 or 6 times "I think it was knocked down and back, are you telling me something different?" TMO says "I think it went forward" Clancy says "Okay, we'll go with that then." :eek:

Doesn't matter in the end, got the BP win but could easily have been 6 tries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Small Paul nearly ballsed that try up. I reckon Olding should have kept going himself. He was on the outside line and 21 had no real interest in stopping him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

mfceiling wrote: »
    Was poor again. Bad tackling, lack of go forward and bad decisions are destroying us. Lucky to get 5 points against Zebre at home tells you everything you need to know.

On a positive note Ian mckinley played ok!!

McKinley looks good. He has a lovely wristy pass. Great to see him back playing.

bilston wrote: »
    McKinley looks good. He has a lovely wristy pass. Great to see him back playing.

If we change the goggles rule after the trial I wonder would he come back here? Would any of the provinces want him?

If we change the goggles rule after the trial I wonder would he come back here? Would any of the provinces want him?

I haven't seen enough of him on his comeback but based on what I saw tonight and what I know of his abilities pre injury then he could easily get a contract at one of the provinces. It maybe depends on how much having sight in just one eye affects his game. It's bound to you'd think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

He threw his share of woeful passes last week where it looked like he just misjudged the depth needed for an out the back pass. Missed touch a bunch from hand too. Possibly related to the eye, depth issues will be his greatest weakness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I haven't seen enough of him on his comeback but based on what I saw tonight and what I know of his abilities pre injury then he could easily get a contract at one of the provinces. It maybe depends on how much having sight in just one eye affects his game. It's bound to you'd think.
    He has a lovely pass and he seems to be a good decision maker. I always thought he was a really classy 10.

• Advertisement

Clancy made a bad call on a knock on in the first half which stopped an almost certain Ulster try. The other calls were by the TMO. The decision to callback Scholes's try was fair enough. The call on Williams try was harsh as the ball seemed to go back so you could argue Ulster were denied 10-14 points by dodgy officiating calls.

I think a problem at the moment is that we have a habit of getting ahead of ourselves in games. We should be looking to build a lead. It is what NZ do. At one stage in the first half we were 13-0 up and had just been under a bit of Zebre pressure when we got a penalty about 40 metres out dead in front of the posts. Pienaar duly kicked to the corner. Why not take the points? Push that lead out to 16-0 and watch the opposition heads drop a bit more.

As for the game Williams was effective, Luke Marshall was very lively and I have to say that Peter Browne was very good.

Anyway 5 points was probably the most important thing about tonight. Time for a few weeks off and then hopefully get Best, Payne, McCloskey and Trimble back and who knows maybe even Tommy and Hendy soon as well.

Anyway 5 points was probably the most important thing about tonight. Time for a few weeks off and then hopefully get Best, Payne, McCloskey and Trimble back and who knows maybe even Tommy and Hendy soon as well.

They made some comment during the match about Bowe saying his recovery was going really well and the only problem was he has to tackle Ian Henderson a lot. It sort of implied they're both back in contact training, even if it's only in rehab.

They made some comment during the match about Bowe saying his recovery was going really well and the only problem was he has to tackle Ian Henderson a lot. It sort of implied they're both back in contact training, even if it's only in rehab.

Yeah, well that's what I based that on. I know we've been poor lately and maybe I'm being optimistic, but if you add Best, AOC and Henderson to the pack and add McCloskey and Trimble's physicality to the backs it will make a massive difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'm trying to watch this game but Jim Neilly is nearly making it impossible, his knowledge of the rules and his bias makes it so so difficult!

I'm trying to watch this game but Jim Neilly is nearly making it impossible, his knowledge of the rules and his bias makes it so so difficult!

His bias doesn't bother me...obviously...but his OTT reactions to Ulster mistakes can be frustrating some times. There have been times in the past where Ulster concede a try after 5 minutes and all of a sudden Jim will announce that Ulster's season looks to be over! It's no wonder there is such a culture of negativity on some MBs when the unofficial Ulster commentator feels that way!

Still he's our Gusher and we love him.

Just the two mentions of the Schools Cup final last night, although he only mentioned Campbell's participation...ironic considering he's an Inst man himself...

His bias doesn't bother me...obviously...but his OTT reactions to Ulster mistakes can be frustrating some times. There have been times in the past where Ulster concede a try after 5 minutes and all of a sudden Jim will announce that Ulster's season looks to be over! It's no wonder there is such a culture of negativity on some MBs when the unofficial Ulster commentator feels that way!

Still he's our Gusher and we love him.

Just the two mentions of the Schools Cup final last night, although he only mentioned Campbell's participation...ironic considering he's an Inst man himself...

I've only watched the first half but the bit that drove me crazy was when Meyer the Zebre number 8 made probably the best individual break of the half. Not only did Neilly not even mention the break, or the fact Zebre now had possession in the Ulster 22, he spent the entire time talking about Rob Herring. I had to actually go look up online who was starting at 8 for Zebre so I could tell who had made such a good break. Meyer was one of the better players on the pitch in the first half but didn't have his name mentioned until right at the very end.

And then things like when Di Marci perfectly legally came round and tackled the player at the back of the Ulster maul and Neilly cried out incredulously at how illegal it was. The sentence "Di Marci looks like he might be about to get his marching orders. No pun intended." Then the co-commentator had to subtly ignore all of that while pointing out exactly what had just happened...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭OldRio

Haha... I have just watched the game. I was thinking exactly the same about that Lineout and maul. The silence from the co commentator said everything.

I thought Browne had a good game.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Neilly is amazing, we'll have no bad words about him on this forum thank you very much.

Can't remember which game it was but when the other team scored Jim was saying it looks like it's game over for Ulster. It was something like 20 minutes in and there was only a point in it :)

Can't remember which game it was but when the other team scored Jim was saying it looks like it's game over for Ulster. It was something like 20 minutes in and there was only a point in it :)

That part of Gusher is a bit annoying, but the truth is he is fan as well as a commentator. He just goes through the range of emotions like the rest of us.

I suppose BBC NI could be a bit more impartial but then in a world where NI viewers have to pay subscription TV to watch Ireland's Autumn Internationals and where RTE is now geo blocked for 6Ns games as well I'm not bothered if their coverage is so Ulster centric!

• Advertisement

That part of Gusher is a bit annoying, but the truth is he is fan as well as a commentator. He just goes through the range of emotions like the rest of us.

I suppose BBC NI could be a bit more impartial but then in a world where NI viewers have to pay subscription TV to watch Ireland's Autumn Internationals and where RTE is now geo blocked for 6Ns games as well I'm not bothered if their coverage is so Ulster centric!

Hey, I pay a license fee in the UK as well! Unless I'm mistaken it's not just the people in NI who pay for it!

OldRio wrote: »
    I thought Browne had a good game.

Obviously Williams was the key man, but after that it would have been a close run thing between Browne and Marshall for MOTM for me.

He carried very well, bagged himself a try and while the change at hooker may have been the most significant reason, it was noticeable that the Ulster lineout went to s*** in the quarter when Browne and Herring had gone off.

He has improved significantly over the last few weeks and it's good to see.

I'd still take AOC, Tuohy and obviously Henderson over him, although I expect Henderson to be playing 6 when he returns for the run in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

To be fair, the show is called Ulster Rugby Live, features Ulster players in the opening credits and the analysts are former Ulster players, so you can't really be shocked when the commentary is slightly biased.

DGRulz wrote: »
    To be fair, the show is called Ulster Rugby Live, features Ulster players in the opening credits and the analysts are former Ulster players, so you can't really be shocked when the commentary is slightly biased.

It's not the bias that's the problem. It's objectively bad quality commentary to just ignore what's happening on the field while you chat about the Ulster Schools' Cup final from 1968. Or to flat-out get the rules wrong.

Hey, I pay a license fee in the UK as well! Unless I'm mistaken it's not just the people in NI who pay for it!

You're quite right. I can't really argue your point. Although I'd have more sympathy for fans of Scottish and Welsh teams when they play Ulster away and the only coverage is BBC NI. Although I think they usually try and get Scott Hastings or Andy Nicol in when they play Scottish teams at Kingspan to try and balance things out a bit.

As a BBC license fee customer as well I do find it pretty infuriating that everytime I tune into 5 Live for rugby or football coverage it's England this, England that...I guess it's one of the anomolies of living in a country made up of four nations!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

Ulster Rugby Live shorn of Gusher would be awful. Imagine one of those clean cut non-controversial all-the-names-right slick boring sods who turn up everywhere else taking over. It would be a snore fest, and we'd only have Fez left to say ridiculously one-eyed things about how all Ulster players should be playing for Ireland.

Gusher is the E to our MC2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Gusher's Ulstercentric leanings are there for all to see but are as nothing to the appallingly biased claptrap we listened too for years from the likes of Tremenjus and Frankie and Francis. If you really want to hear such proper bias, watch Scrum V. they seem to use the same style as Leinihan et al.

Yes but we live on the island of Ireland whose rugby team allegedly represents the whole island of Ireland yet only those in the Irish Republic bit get f.t.a. Irish Internationals. The IRFU owes nothing to rugby fans in G.B. but owes equality and loyalty to all rugby fans who live here. It's another 2 fingers up to those who live in N.I. along with the fact that out of the last 200+ representative Irish rugby games from schools upwards, 3 have been held in N.I. how's that for equality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

jacothelad wrote: »
    Gusher's Ulstercentric leanings are there for all to see but are as nothing to the appallingly biased claptrap we listened too for years from the likes of Tremenjus and Frankie and Francis. If you really want to hear such proper bias, watch Scrum V. they seem to use the same style as Leinihan et al.

Yes but we live on the island of Ireland whose rugby team allegedly represents the whole island of Ireland yet only those in the Irish Republic bit get f.t.a. Irish Internationals. The IRFU owes nothing to rugby fans in G.B. but owes equality and loyalty to all rugby fans who live here. It's another 2 fingers up to those who live in N.I. along with the fact that out of the last 200+ representative Irish rugby games from schools upwards, 3 have been held in N.I. how's that for equality?

The reason RTE can't broadcast certain things in the north is because BBC ITV etc own the rights to it and won't allow them to. It's the same if TG4 are broadcasting a game at the same time as one of the UK channels, normally tg4 isn't geo locked but if one of the UK channels is broadcasting the same game it is because otherwise they could end up in legal bother.

Bazzo wrote: »
    The reason RTE can't broadcast certain things in the north is because BBC ITV etc own the rights to it and won't allow them to. It's the same if TG4 are broadcasting a game at the same time as one of the UK channels, normally tg4 isn't geo locked but if one of the UK channels is broadcasting the same game it is because otherwise they could end up in legal bother.

I was talking about the IRFU deal with Sky for the Autumn games which are FTA in ROI but need to be paid for by NI viewers. TG4 games are FTA but usually also shown on BBC Wales or Alba. ATH head is blocked when showing ITV rights coverage. That isn't a problem. That is simply business. ITV has a highlights show of the 6 Nations. The IRFU had no mandate to remove the viewing rights of one third of the population of the island. It is also specifically against their mission statement and business plan. The fact that they won't answer polite correspondence or email enquiries on the matter speaks volumes.

• Advertisement

I was talking about the IRFU deal with Sky for the Autumn games which are FTA in ROI but need to be paid for by NI viewers. TG4 games are FTA but usually also shown on BBC Wales or Alba. ATH head is blocked when showing ITV rights coverage. That isn't a problem. That is simply business. ITV has a highlights show of the 6 Nations. The IRFU had no mandate to remove the viewing rights of one third of the population of the island. It is also specifically against their mission statement and business plan. The fact that they won't answer polite correspondence or email enquiries on the matter speaks volumes.

Not sure they'd give you a sensible answer anyway. I emailed them during the WC asking about the flags they use at matches. We don't need to get into it all again but I basically outlined I knew why there were two flags but why specifically did they use an Ulster flag rather than a NI flag and the answer I got back was explaining to me the history of the division between NI and ROI, what I had told them I already knew, and they didn't actually answer my question at all.

I feel for the IRFU on the fta issue in the north, they're screwed by the fact that they hold jurisdiction across two countries, and money-grubbing law prevents them from even putting a gentleman's agreement in place.

I'd blame Sky or ITV/BBC more than the IRFU for that, as they'd happily give a bit two fingers to the union.

As for the flegs, they should either go with the jolly green mess, or the 4 provincial flegs, though I get the flying of the tric when games are down south. Definitely prefer the situation to the IFA/FAI situation, I.e. "We're the real Irish football, no we are! No we are!"

Sorry, thought you were talking about something else. I wasn't aware the AIs would be on Sky, presumably they outbid BBC/ITV for the rights to them in the north? Still bad form from the IRFU though.

As to your second point, are you talking about internationals beind held in the north? I don't think any capped internationals(and very few all together) are held outside of Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

AFAIK no rugby game has ever been geo-blocked on TG4 either via Freeview or Sky in NI. This is due to the GFA which promotes the spread of the Irish language throughout the island. There have been Pro 12 games geo-blocked on RTE2 here in NI for a brief period at the beginning of a TV deal (think it was the deal before the present one) but geo-blocking soon stopped.

AFAIK no rugby game has ever been geo-blocked on TG4 either via Freeview or Sky in NI. This is due to the GFA which promotes the spread of the Irish language throughout the island. There have been Pro 12 games geo-blocked on RTE2 here in NI for a brief period at the beginning of a TV dea l(think it was the deal before the present one) but geo-blocking soon stopped.

I was watching a match on S4C a couple of weeks ago and found it was also being broadcast on TG4. When I went to switch over to the player it was blocked to viewers outside Ireland(it specifically said this) and was broadcasting some GAA stuff instead so it definitely does happen although maybe not in NI?

As to your second point, are you talking about internationals beind held in the north? I don't think any capped internationals(and very few all together) are held outside of Dublin.

Isn't there some sort of deal with Aviva because of the naming rights all tests have to be held there? Although that only applies since the new stadium was built.

• Advertisement

Sorry, thought you were talking about something else. I wasn't aware the AIs would be on Sky, presumably they outbid BBC/ITV for the rights to them in the north? Still bad form from the IRFU though.

ALL representative games of all levels from schoolboys up to Wolfhounds and womens international games. Only the Irish team MUST play at the Aviva. Out of the 200+ representative games in the last 6 years or so about 85% have been held in and around Dublin, A few - about 17 I think were held in Munster and some in Connacht. It's basically a crock of shyte....like playing Fiji in Thomand but making it a non-cap game. FFS. commercial deals must of course be done and stuck too. There is absolutely no reason why the rest shouldn't be shared around the country.

ALL representative games of all levels from schoolboys up to Wolfhounds and womens international games. Only the Irish team MUST play at the Aviva. Out of the 200+ representative games in the last 6 years or so about 85% have been held in and around Dublin, A few - about 17 I think were held in Munster and some in Connacht. It's basically a crock of shyte....like playing Fiji in Thomand but making it a non-cap game. FFS. commercial deals must of course be done and stuck too. There is absolutely no reason why the rest shouldn't be shared around the country.

It's not commercial as far as I'm aware, the players want it in a lot of cases. Talking to a few of the ladies' team after their move to Donnybrook they seem to be fully behind the move (they played their games in Ashbourne before).

Big Jim is the best commentator bar none!!

"He's given that a fair old whack"
    " Who's at the bottom of that ruck?"
    "Unless I'm very much mistaken that's a try for Ulster"

I'd take him any day of the week over George Hamilton who is a good soccer commentator but doesn't have the first clue about rugby. He genuinely doesn't understand the rules.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Big Jim is the best commentator bar none!!

"He's given that a fair old whack"
    " Who's at the bottom of that ruck?"
    "Unless I'm very much mistaken that's a try for Ulster"

I'd take him any day of the week over George Hamilton who is a good soccer commentator but doesn't have the first clue about rugby. He genuinely doesn't understand the rules.

George Hamilton went to Methody...or so I'm led to believe...so no wonder he knows nothing about rugby...

My favourite and oft used phrase has to be:

"Half an hour gone at Ravenhill and still all to play for."

Even better when said in the first 10 minutes.

• Advertisement

rsh118 wrote: »
    My favourite and oft used phrase has to be:

"Half an hour gone at Ravenhill and still all to play for."

Even better when said in the first 10 minutes.

The best I ever heard, albeit a very long time ago now, was "he went straight through the middle like a bad curry"

At that time I thought there existed great potential, I was wrong.

I'm also a huge fan of

"He has a look up the blindside and sees a certain Mr Faletau waiting for him before thinking the better of it..."

Or words to that effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I was watching a match on S4C a couple of weeks ago and found it was also being broadcast on TG4. When I went to switch over to the player it was blocked to viewers outside Ireland(it specifically said this) and was broadcasting some GAA stuff instead so it definitely does happen although maybe not in NI?

My OP referred to TG4 via Sky/Freeview in NI rather than TG4 online but I do accept your point re the TG4 player. I have experienced geo-blocking on it here in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Scythica

Huge fan of Gusher.

I watch a lot of the matches through the BBC sport app over here in England, and my (English) housemates genuinely can't understand how he is a commentator. Makes it even better really.

Bit like big Jimmy Nespitt at the boxing last week, gotta love your own wee country, even if people are going made with the fire trucks. Puts a grin to the face

Nesbo was in some form wasn't he? Even Frampton's been ripping the piss!

Edit: James Nesbitt is relevant because I reckon he does the contracts which are too small fry for Rory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Wasps have signed Kurtley Beale so any doubts about Piutau can be put to bed I reckon.

Wasps have signed Kurtley Beale so any doubts about Piutau can be put to bed I reckon.

To be fair Piutau said on BT Sport a couple of weeks ago that he was still coming to Ulster.

I wonder what Wasps are paying for Beale. I'd take Piutau over Beale for all sorts of reasons. Although at his best Kurtley is some pup.

rsh118 wrote: »
    I'm also a huge fan of

"He has a look up the blindside and sees a certain Mr Faletau waiting for him before thinking the better of it..."

Or words to that effect.

Usually followed by "all 6ft 3 and 17 stone of him"

In answer to my own question it is reported that Beale will be on a 2 year contract worth £1.5m.

In answer to my own question it is reported that Beale will be on a 2 year contract worth £1.5m.

If I was one of the Wasps investors I'd be sweating about seeing a return on my money in however many years they promised, they seem to be absolutely flinging money about the place.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement