Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Apparently the Wasps chairman is Irish. I hadn't realised that. 1.5mn pounds for Beale is insanity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

That's over 2 Years though right?
    So 750k per year
    Still alot mind

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Number 137

If Wasps are spending that sort of money on Beale, they may as well have re-signed Andy Goode. Though he may be worth more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Number 137 wrote: »
    If Wasps are spending that sort of money on Beale, they may as well have re-signed Andy Goode. Though he may be worth more...

Andy Goode has gotten more expensive as he has a pay-by-weight buyout clause in his contract...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

iHumph is retiring? Has retired?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

So...Olding to backup 10? Hows Jonny McPhillips looking?

Bit more on iHumph here... end of season he's calling it a day.

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/14692.php#.Vt7egZyLTIV

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Peple can laugh at Andy Goode (me included) but he gets the job done. Came out of retirement looking like the 6th member of Status Quo and has been instrumental in their improvement.

Wouldn't have given them a sniff of beating Leicester and Northampton before he showed up and now they've pulled well clear of relegation.

He's the opposite of iHumph. He looks ugly, he plays ugly and he has a bag full of medals!

Sorry to see Humphreys go. His career always strikes me as somewhat unfulfilled given his level of talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Buer wrote: »
    Sorry to see Humphreys go. His career always strikes me as somewhat unfulfilled given his level of talent.

Totally agree. Was great in patches but lacked consistency of his elder brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

We had some great moments courtesy of iHump. Bit too flakey to be a solid international but he was a great servant.

Good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

Met him once in London and seemed an all round good sort. Hope he has a successful retirement, hopefully we'll see him on the couch next to fez soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

Yeah, good luck to iHumph for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Peple can laugh at Andy Goode (me included) but he gets the job done. Came out of retirement looking like the 6th member of Status Quo and has been instrumental in their improvement.

Wouldn't have given them a sniff of beating Leicester and Northampton before he showed up and now they've pulled well clear of relegation.

He's the opposite of iHumph. He looks ugly, he plays ugly and he has a bag full of medals!

He was the best attacking 10 we had in Ireland and a reasonable kicker.

iHumph's highlight has surely to be in the Leicester side who won at Thomond Park. IIRC it was the first time Munster had been beaten there in the HC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

iHumph's highlight has surely to be in the Leicester side who won at Thomond Park. IIRC it was the first time Munster had been beaten there in the HC.

And he was the man at outhalf the second time it happened too, I believe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

And he was the man at outhalf the second time it happened too, I believe?

And then got dropped for the semi final!

bilston wrote: »
    And then got dropped for the semi final!

Yes. Another of McLaughlin's dreadful selection issues. The guy was a fine coach but couldn't pick his nose - as was proven when he was coach at Malone. In the final, Jackson looked like a primary school kid......wildly out of his depth. Anyone could see that before the semi-final even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

He was one of a few players that beat Munster twice in Thomond in European games but if that's his highlight them he's had a poor enough return from his rugby career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The best story I heard about iHumph was that when Dan Tuohy met him he was growing his beard, and then when he shaved the beard off Tuohy thought he was a new player who had joined up for training.

It's an alright story. Not particularly great but it gets the job done in the absence of a better long term story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

So Charles P is with kiss today in Belfast. Maybe that'll put to bed rumours

So Charles P is with kiss today in Belfast. Maybe that'll put to bed rumours

He's playing FB for Inst in the School's Cup Final.

He's playing FB for Inst in the School's Cup Final.

Talking of which Inst v Campbell today in the School's Cup Final. The weather here is glorious and I know both sides have some talented backs on show. Could be a good match.

For those unable to go but with a couple of hours to kill this afternoon could do worse than watch it. It's on BBC2 NI about 3pm after the GAA final.

I usually pick which team I want to win based on past students but nothing is jumping out at me from the Wikipedia pages.

Wonder who Jim Neely will be rooting for?

I usually pick which team I want to win based on past students but nothing is jumping out at me from the Wikipedia pages.

Roger Wilson (RBAI) versus Mike McComish (CCB)

Take your pick.

Ahhh Jim Neilly will no doubt be as professional as ever but he is an Inst man!

Rugby wise for past students. Paddy Wallace and Rory Scholes are ex Campbell. Roger Wilson is ex Inst, Ryan Caldwell was also an Inst man.

Going further back in time Davy Irwin was Inst and I think the greatest of them all Mike Gibson was Campbell. Going way back there are a couple of former Lions captains who went to Inst but as much as it would hurt the Collegian that is Jaco, he can probably educate us better on that than me!

CS Lewis and a couple if Snow Patrol went to Campbell. The Snow Patrol connection will probably swing you one way or the t'other depending on personal preferences.

Off topic but this School's GAA final is pretty one sided. "STOP! STOP! He's already dead!" springs to mind.

RBAI seem to be pretty dominant in Ulster this year having already beaten Wallace HS in the medallion final.

Campbell must wonder with all the territory/possession in the second half how they managed not to score. Inst defence was well organised but seeming absence of a regular goal kicker for Campbell cost them badly.

• Advertisement

Inst deserved it for their defence alone. Quite a few of those boys will be back again next year and given Inst have won the last 3 Medallion Shields (JCT equivalent for those of you from the South) you'd think they will be hard to stop from making it 3 in a row in 2017.

Standard was ok, there were some mistakes, there seems to be a bit of a gap compared to what I saw of the Belvedere team, but one match is a small sample. Hume looks a decent prospect, he has another year to go at school as well and O'Toole is massive for a schoolboy but none of these guys are anywhere near the finished article at 16/17/18. It will be interesting to see how many go further in their rugby careers!

O'Toole is only lower 6th too, is that what it's called? So what, he's about 17?

O'Toole is only lower 6th too, is that what it's called? So what, he's about 17?

Well it was Lower 6th in my day. Think it's Year 12 or something now.

But anyway yes he would be 16 or 17 depending on when his birthday is.

Jim was calling it Lower 6th on the telly but his day is probably closer to your day ;)

Jim was calling it Lower 6th on the telly but his day is probably closer to your day ;)

Ha...like hell it was...

It seems we may finally have a young forward coming through the ranks worth talking about in Adam McBurney. I've only seen one U20s match, last week, but he was good there and last night was man of the match in the win over Scotland. Assuming he is 19/20 he could be coming through at a handy time with Rory likely to have just two years left.

We aren't too bad off at hooker. Herring for me is a terrific player and Andrew and Murphy have both looked comfortable at Pro 12 level this season. It's great to see a bit of depth (or at least potential depth) in at least one position in the pack.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's still called lower 6th I think.

Adam McBurney has to be a shoe in for an academy spot next season. I don't think Ulster currently have any hookers in the academy.

Number 137 wrote: »
    Adam McBurney has to be a shoe in for an academy spot next season. I don't think Ulster currently have any hookers in the academy.

You'd think so. Although Johnny Murphy may be in the Academy?

• Advertisement

What sort of roll call can we expect this weekend?

Any chance that Bowe, Ludik, Herbst or Henderson could be back?

What about Best, Payne and Trimble? I can understand giving Rory a week off but for me Payne and Trimble should be straight back in the side.

Something like this...

15 Payne
    14 Gilroy
    13 Marshall
    12 McCloskey
    11 Trimble
    10 Jackson
    9 Pienaar
    1 McCall
    2 Herring
    3 Lutton
    4 Van Der Merwe
    5 O'Connor
    6 Diack
    7 Henry
    8 Williams

I said it last week and it won't be popular but the way our defence has degenerated into absolute shyteness I wouldn't be opposed to having Payne at 13 for a game.

I know...I need burnt for that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 The Elk

What sort of roll call can we expect this weekend?

Any chance that Bowe, Ludik, Herbst or Henderson could be back?

What about Best, Payne and Trimble? I can understand giving Rory a week off but for me Payne and Trimble should be straight back in the side.

Something like this...

15 Payne
    14 Gilroy
    13 Marshall
    12 McCloskey
    11 Trimble
    10 Jackson
    9 Pienaar
    1 McCall
    2 Herring
    3 Lutton
    4 Van Der Merwe
    5 O'Connor
    6 Diack
    7 Henry
    8 Williams

I said it last week and it won't be popular but the way our defence has degenerated into absolute shyteness I wouldn't be opposed to having Payne at 13 for a game.

I know...I need burnt for that!!!

Refresh my memory - what had happened Herbst? Was it a hamstring?

I'd say Best for sure will get a rest - he always seems to. The other guys who played will probably get a rest but might have a slight chance to feature. (depends how banged up they are).

Hendo and Bowe are near coming back, what was the last word on them?

The Elk wrote: »
    Refresh my memory - what had happened Herbst? Was it a hamstring?

I'd say Best for sure will get a rest - he always seems to. The other guys who played will probably get a rest but might have a slight chance to feature. (depends how banged up they are).

Hendo and Bowe are near coming back, what was the last word on them?
    I think Herbst is out for the season. (Toe Injury).
    Tuohy has had more surgery on his ankle so out for the season.
    So long as Herring is fit we're golden at hooker.
    Henderson and Bowe must be near to fitness.
    It's very frustrating that at the business end of the season for a vital game we are once again without many of our best players. Best, Bowe, Trimble, Herbst, Tuohy, Nelson. Payne, Henderson and Ludik are all starters. Then we have Pienaar and Henry playing like drains. That's most of our team. Most of the replacements are either callow youths or players who do not measure up yet or never or who are simply way below the standard of professional level.

Surely that team needs more Olding?

You'd think so. Although Johnny Murphy may be in the Academy?

I think Murphy signed a senior contract at the end of last season. He's not listed in the academy on the Ulster website anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

Any more word on which Leinster flanker will be stopping off in Newry for groceries on his way to Belfast?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

Reading the injury thread on uafc it looks like the following...

Ludik and Henderson back this week. (Hendy presumably benching)
    Herbst back for Zebre
    Bowe back for Leinster
    Tuohy gone for the season.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Bowe back to terrorise the mexicans? Happy days! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

http://www.supersport.com/rugby/article.aspx?Id=3454224
    The Cell C Sharks’ star player of 2016 says he hopes to be back in Durban after he has completed his three year contract with Ulster that starts at the end of this season, but there is an outside chance that Marcell Coetzee might be seen wearing the colours of his franchise and province before that.

After Coetzee won the man of the match award against the DHL Stormers in Cape Town recently, mention was made by members of the Sharks management that Coetzee may have an out clause in his contract covering the possibility that the next Springbok coach might show more interest in offering him a national contract that he’d be satisfied with than the previous one did.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Scythica

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement