Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Number 137

Conor Joyce is another back row who seems to have fallen off the radar. Always thought he looked decent at underage level.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 131 ✭✭leinstertalk

Number 137 wrote: »
    Conor Joyce is another back row who seems to have fallen off the radar. Always thought he looked decent at underage level.

not a good enough athlete, not outstanding at any area of backrow play.

there is a reason why these exiles weren't highly rated in england..

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Number 137

Joyce played Irish youths didn't he? So he is a player that I'd give the benefit of the doubt to. Perhaps Ireland was his first choice. But you're right, he was not especially good at anything, though I did think he was a useful ball carrier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 131 ✭✭leinstertalk

Number 137 wrote: »
    Joyce played Irish youths didn't he? So he is a player that I'd give the benefit of the doubt to. Perhaps Ireland was his first choice. But you're right, he was not especially good at anything, though I did think he was a useful ball carrier.

he played irish youths after being overlooked by england u18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ulster team and replacements for their training session against Zebre, Guinness PRO12, Stadio Sergio Lanfranchi, Parma, Saturday 16th April (kick off 5pm local / 4pm GMT):
    (15-9): J Payne; T Bowe, L Marshall, S Olding, C Gilroy; P Jackson, R Pienaar;
    (1-8): C Black, R Best (captain), R Lutton, P Browne, F van der Merwe, I Henderson, S Reidy, R Wilson;
    (16-23): R Herring, K McCall, A Warwick, R Diack, C Henry, P Marshall, D Cave, R Scholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I would expect that team to absolutely wipe the floor with Zebre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

What is Cave's contract situation? He can't be happy with being down to 4th choice centre behind McCloskey, Olding and Marshall, probably Payne as well once Piatau and Ludik are available. I can see him moving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Holy Moly...15-9 on form looks amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

What is Cave's contract situation? He can't be happy with being down to 4th choice centre behind McCloskey, Olding and Marshall, probably Payne as well once Piatau and Ludik are available. I can see him moving on.

was just thinking the same thing. Cave is an outstanding Centre. Would be a great purchase for Munster.

70+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Bit disrespectful for to pick Henderson at 6 and Payne at 15 against Zebre. A bit like driving your car backwards in a drag race in order to wind up your opponent.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

If he's down to 4th choice it's based on form. He's been pretty poor this season, or at least over the last few months. I think he was injured for a spell and hasn't really made the step up again after that.
    Ulster have a glut of centres though, they're not going to be able to keep everyone happy even if they're all playing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

If he's down to 4th choice it's based on form. He's been pretty poor this season, or at least over the last few months. I think he was injured for a spell and hasn't really made the step up again after that.
    Ulster have a glut of centres though, they're not going to be able to keep everyone happy even if they're all playing well.

Im not questioning it tbh, but I'm not sure its necessarily form, he hasn't gotten many chances this season with Marshall and McCloskey playing so well. Unfortunately for Cave, he just doesn't have the natural skills and physical abilities of some of these younger guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    was just thinking the same thing. Cave is an outstanding Centre. Would be a great purchase for Munster.

I'd put the house on him going to England or France rather than to another province.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Jackson/Olding/Marshall midfield...wow...that could be fun

Great to see Tommy back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That backline :eek:

Will Olding play inside or outside I wonder?

stephen_n wrote: »
    That backline :eek:

Will Olding play inside or outside I wonder?

Open to correction but I think he prefers 12 and Marshall prefers 13(even though he has played a lot inside).

Bazzo wrote: »
    Open to correction but I think he prefers 12 and Marshall prefers 13(even though he has played a lot inside).

I think that's the way it's been but I'd love to see Olding get a run of games at 13. He has all the attributes of an exceptional 13.

Bazzo wrote: »
    I would expect that team to absolutely wipe the floor with Zebre

The backline is superb, but half the pack are anything but.

I'd be interested to see Reidy at 8. He has an explosiveness about him that could work there. That would allow Henry to start at 7 with Hendy at 6 and Wilson on the bench. The bench is probably Roger's limit these days.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hendo at 6. Check.

Payne at 15. Check.

awec is happy.

awec wrote: »
    Hendo at 6. Check.

Payne at 15. Check.

awec is happy.

Have you seen who's reffing yet?! :pac:

Does it matter? ;)

It's Nigel Owens. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

There's actually very few combinations that can come together before a game of rugby to suit awec this well. Or even at all.

The only way this day could get better would be if someone posted this video:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

If Ulster get 5 points, Connacht beat Munster and Leinster see off Edinburgh this could be a good weekend for the province especially regarding qualification for the Champions cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

Well turns out it was a good weekend for us! Decent game, good results, glimpse of weep doing his best headless chicken impression. All boxes checked.

Gusher also on top form in the commentary box, think I heard maybe three Italian names through the match, and none of them played schools rugby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Think I'm right in saying that win against Leinster will nail down Champions Cup place and 9 points from Leinster (Home) and Ospreys (Away) will definitely secure Top 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Think I'm right in saying that win against Leinster will nail down Champions Cup place and 9 points from Leinster (Home) and Ospreys (Away) will definitely secure Top 4.

8 points would probably be fine, Scarlets PD is rubbish. Hopefully they'll continue their recent form and get nothing out of next week, and we can beat Leinster. Would be nice not to have to worry about the Ospreys match.

So are we at the point yet where we can describe Peter Browne as a solid squad signing? I'd say he is one of our more effective carriers at the moment...not that that is necessarily saying a lot, but still since Christmas, he has looked a much better player IMO.

MJohnston wrote: »
    8 points would probably be fine, Scarlets PD is rubbish. Hopefully they'll continue their recent form and get nothing out of next week, and we can beat Leinster. Would be nice not to have to worry about the Ospreys match.

Leinster will be a squeaky bum game. It could go either way. We could easily lose it as we could win it.

...PM me for more insightful analysis...

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    So are we at the point yet where we can describe Peter Browne as a solid squad signing? I'd say he is one of our more effective carriers at the moment...not that that is necessarily saying a lot, but still since Christmas, he has looked a much better player IMO.

Is his contract up? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

bilston wrote:

He's really improved hasn't he. Didn't rate him at all when he first played but he's come on really well.

So have we ever got to the bottom of why Finlay Bealham was let go? I know what my gut is telling me but I'm willing to wait to hear if anyone has any other info before I go to the justifiably default position of blaming you know who!

He looks a quality player in the making. We have missed out big time IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

So have we ever got to the bottom of why Finlay Bealham was let go? I know what my gut is telling me but I'm willing to wait to hear if anyone has any other info before I go to the justifiably default position of blaming you know who!

He looks a quality player in the making. We have missed out big time IMO.

Was it not your current forwards coach Mr Clarke who told him that he would never make it and got rid of him from the academy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Was it not your current forwards coach Mr Clarke who told him that he would never make it and got rid of him from the academy?

I'd well believe that...

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

Clarke has a habit of doing that doesn't he?

Believe he was the reason why AOC wasn't playing for so long this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Wasn't he the guy who told The Beatles they would never make it? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

We need rid of him. That simple.

I wouldn't be surprised.

Pre season games confirmed today.

First up are the Exeter Chiefs at Sandy Park on Saturday 20th August and then on Friday 26th August Ulster 'A' play Canada followed by the 1st playing Northampton at Kingspan in a double header.

• Advertisement

No Leinster game this year then?

awec wrote: »
    No Leinster game this year then?

Not at the minute anyway. Think it's usually just the two friendlies, although don't they sometimes go to France on a training camp and play a training match?

So finally got round to watching the game from Saturday.

A few points (and yes I know it was Zebre)

1) Sean Reidy is currently our best forward. Is he a dark horse to cover No.8 next season?
    2) Hendy is doing ok, I wouldn't say he is out of form, because he is still making a noticeable difference, but he can be even better, that's a good thing though.
    3) Peter Browne is beginning to prove his worth as a decent squad player. He carries well.
    4) Olding should be our first choice 12. Harsh on McCloskey but Olding is just a class apart, some of his hands on Saturday were spellbinding.
    5) Tommy was back looking sharp, he picked great lines and showed great hands several times. Is he as quick as he was? Probably not, but he still has it where it counts.
    6) Did anyone see PJ's touch finder from open play just before he went of injured? From his own 22 to deep inside the Zebre 22, it was Carteresque.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭launish116

So finally got round to watching the game from Saturday.

1) Sean Reidy is currently our best forward. Is he a dark horse to cover No.8 next season?
    2) Hendy is doing ok, I wouldn't say he is out of form, because he is still making a noticeable difference, but he can be even better, that's a good thing though.
    3) Peter Browne is beginning to prove his worth as a decent squad player. He carries well.

1) Reidy is definitely fit & mobile, performing better than Henry and has been harshly substituted on several occasions. Although he's to light weight for 8 I feel, could see henry moved there more realistically in times of need.
    2) still room to improve
    3) is starting to show his worth, but still feel he can/needs to up his work rate/tempo

launish116 wrote: »
    1) Reidy is definitely fit & mobile, performing better than Henry and has been harshly substituted on several occasions. Although he's to light weight for 8 I feel, could see henry moved there more realistically in times of need.

He seems to make the most of his stature though. I really hope we have an 8 signed.

4) Olding should be our first choice 12. Harsh on McCloskey but Olding is just a class apart, some of his hands on Saturday were spellbinding.

Which would be better.

Olding Marshall
    or
    McCloskey Olding?

Which would be better.

Olding Marshall
    or
    McCloskey Olding?

Olding and Marshall for me, but I'd expect a horses for courses approach.

Olding and Marshall for me, but I'd expect a horses for courses approach.

I'd love to see Olding get a run of games at 13 just to see how he goes. I have a feeling he will never make 12 for Ireland under Joe and it is such a waste of talent.

I say drop a back rower and play 3 centres.

McCloskey can pack down at 6 for scrums if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

I'd love to see Olding get a run of games at 13 just to see how he goes. I have a feeling he will never make 12 for Ireland under Joe and it is such a waste of talent.

Have to say I'd love to see him at 10.. I'm sure its been discussed previously but he just brings such a threat at first receiver with that step.. Haven't seen too much of his kicking game.. Is it not up to it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement