Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I hope the time out will allow him to refresh. He probably has more miles on the clock than most 25 year old professional players!

Wouldn't want to be the first person to tackle Marcel Coetzee if he's building himself up for that carry for 6 months!

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We are screwed in the back row with all these injuries. The IRFU need a boot in the bollocks for refusing us a medical joker.

awec wrote: »
    We are screwed in the back row with all these injuries. The IRFU need a boot in the bollocks for refusing us a medical joker.

Why not sign an IQ player?

http://www.balls.ie/rugby/kelvin-brown-rugby/340718

If your academy isn't producing back row players, and other provinces are 'full' and there is capacity, surely the smart move would be to capitalize on opportunities like this?

The victim card is weak considering the extent of the NIQ rule-bending that Ulster have been permitted already!

Why not sign an IQ player?

http://www.balls.ie/rugby/kelvin-brown-rugby/340718

If your academy isn't producing back row players, and other provinces are 'full' and there is capacity, surely the smart move would be to capitalize on opportunities like this?

The victim card is weak considering the extent of the NIQ rule-bending that Ulster have been permitted already!

We have a few young lads, it's fit and established quality we are short of right now.

A wee deal until Christmas for some SH backrow would have been the ticket.

We have a few young lads, it's fit and established quality we are short of right now.

A wee deal until Christmas for some SH backrow would have been the ticket.

When will you ever use them? How do you get someone to become established quality without exposure?

Back Rows on the books
    Wilson - 207 caps
    Henry - 150 caps
    Diack - 147 caps
    Reidy - 31 caps
    Ross - 29 caps
    Joyce - 4 caps
    Mulholland - 2 caps
    Dow - 1 cap
    Coetzee - 0

Cover :pac:
    Tuohy - 134 caps
    Henderson - 58 caps

Plenty of coverage there!

When will you ever use them? How do you get someone to become established quality without exposure?

Back Rows on the books
    Wilson - 207 caps
    Henry - 150 caps
    Diack - 147 caps
    Reidy - 31 caps
    Ross - 29 caps
    Joyce - 4 caps
    Mulholland - 2 caps
    Dow - 1 cap
    Coetzee - 0

Cover :pac:
    Tuohy - 134 caps
    Henderson - 58 caps

Plenty of coverage there!

Henry is injured and Wilson is not able to last more than 20 minutes.

We are effectively in a worse position in the back row than last season now. Wilson is even older and Williams' replacement is crocked and so is Henry.

A backrow of Diack, Reidy and Dow, the opposition will be quaking in their boots. Even with Henderson in there it will be problematic once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭launish116

Have to agree with Awec, another season of back row letting us potentially down when 1st string are injured or rested!

Really hope some of unknowns step up! And did think your guy Brown from munster shoulda been pinched and offered a chance. Especially when you look at how Alan oconnor turned out after being rejected by leinster.

Though intrigued what will happen with a depleted back row and a full deck of 2nd rowers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The injury to Henry is a big blow. I think our first choice back row will be Henderson, Henry, Coetzee, although Reidy may push his way in at 7 or 8.

The problem is that Henry and Coetzee are out for a while and Henderson won't play a lot in September.

We're looking at 3 from Diack, Reidy, Browne, Wilson and Dow.

I'm not sure the medical joker was ever likely just because we have done well with NIQs already (as per the rules, not saying I agree with them) but also because in reality Coetzee will be missing maybe 6 games for us, given he wouldn't have been available until the end of October and would then have been unavailable through November as well. We're really only missing him for December and 2 weeks of October.

If we get a back row of Henderson, Henry and Reidy out for the big games then it won't be the end of the world.

In fact if we can at least get those 3 out then the main focus will be on TH. Herbst is out for a while, Lutton is the definition of frustrating and to be fair I'll judge Rodney on his performances for Ulster rather than Connacht but he'll clear need to step up from last season in a big way.

We have 3 players we cannot do without this season, without them we are toast. Iain Henderson, Ruan Pienaar and Paddy Jackson. Lose one of them for any length and kiss the season goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

bilston wrote: »
    If we get a back row of Henderson, Henry and Reidy out for the big games then it won't be the end of the world.

In fact if we can at least get those 3 out then the main focus will be on TH. Herbst is out for a while, Lutton is the definition of frustrating and to be fair I'll judge Rodney on his performances for Ulster rather than Connacht but he'll clear need to step up from last season in a big way.

We have 3 players we cannot do without this season, without them we are toast. Iain Henderson, Ruan Pienaar and Paddy Jackson. Lose one of them for any length and kiss the season goodbye.

It really depends which Rodney you get. At the start of the season when White was away for the RWC he was our 1st choice tighthead and was playing incredibly well for us, as good as I've ever seen him play. Shortly after he signed for ye his form dipped*

*By dipped I mean fell off a cliff, landed in the ocean and continued to fall until it reached the bottom of the Mariana Trench

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

b.gud wrote: »
    It really depends which Rodney you get. At the start of the season when White was away for the RWC he was our 1st choice tighthead and was playing incredibly well for us, as good as I've ever seen him play. Shortly after he signed for ye his form dipped*

*By dipped I mean fell off a cliff, landed in the ocean and continued to fall until it reached the bottom of the Mariana Trench

I think if Rodney realises that he was breastfed and looked after so much at Connacht he will be aware he needs to switch on far more often or he will be out the gate at Raven Hill. I think if he goes good he will do very well.

The injury to Henry is a big blow. I think our first choice back row will be Henderson, Henry, Coetzee, although Reidy may push his way in at 7 or 8.

The problem is that Henry and Coetzee are out for a while and Henderson won't play a lot in September.

We're looking at 3 from Diack, Reidy, Browne, Wilson and Dow.

I'm not sure the medical joker was ever likely just because we have done well with NIQs already (as per the rules, not saying I agree with them) but also because in reality Coetzee will be missing maybe 6 games for us, given he wouldn't have been available until the end of October and would then have been unavailable through November as well. We're really only missing him for December and 2 weeks of October.

Not sure brown has the work rate for a back row, Treadwell could receive a big opportunity at the start of the season. then there is the question over who is the starting 2nd row? where does that leave touhy if he regains his fitness.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RichieRich89

Shane Buckley might have been a good back-row signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Has Faloon been released? He was always solid for Connacht, just got unlucky with the talent coming through behind him. Not sure why he hasn't featured for Ulster since his return, was he injured?

Bazzo wrote: »
    Has Faloon been released? He was always solid for Connacht, just got unlucky with the talent coming through behind him. Not sure why he hasn't featured for Ulster since his return, was he injured?

He's useless.

Should never have been brought back.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RichieRich89

Think I heard somewhere that he had to retire

Think I heard somewhere that he had to retire

Don't think he was able to overcome his latest injury

I don't know about useless but Faloon was prone to too many missed tackles. Did he even play after he returned to Ulster?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I'm surprised that Nucifora hasn't encouraged one of Leinsters abundance of back rows to travel north, even on a one year deal. If Conan and SOB get fully fit. We will have, SOB, Heaslip, JVF, Murphy, Ryan, Leavy, Conan, Ruddock all competing. Leavy in particular could probably benefit from a season long loan.

• Advertisement

stephen_n wrote: »
    I'm surprised that Nucifora hasn't encouraged one of Leinsters abundance of back rows to travel north, even on a one year deal. If Conan and SOB get fully fit. We will have, SOB, Heaslip, JVF, Murphy, Ryan, Leavy, Conan, Ruddock all competing. Leavy in particular could probably benefit from a season long loan.

I think we went looking but none of them were interested. I guess the lure of playing for your own province is too great, though some of these guys are eventually going to have to face the music or else waste their talent as a bit-part player.

I scoffed at Dom Ryan before but I'd take him right now, he must know he's bottom of the list at Leinster and the players ahead of him are all pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think we went looking but none of them were interested. I guess the lure of playing for your own province is too great, though some of these guys are eventually going to have to face the music or else waste their talent as a bit-part player.

I scoffed at Dom Ryan before but I'd take him right now, he must know he's bottom of the list at Leinster and the players ahead of him are all pretty good.

I can understand the idea of fighting for your place, but in the case of Leavy in particular a year up north would probably help him. Though maybe the players are afraid there's no coming back. Dom Ryans form in the early part of last year was awful but he was playing really well in the second half of the season, would be a welcome addition I'd say if that form continued.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

stephen_n wrote:

You would think that was alot of back rows but Sob and Conan were pretty much injured the whole season. leavy was injured a good bit and Vdf just got a bad injury before the end of season. Everyone who was fit got plenty of game time and there was good rotation. Ulster don't really rotate their back row and they have very few international call ups for emerging players to get game time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

How is Nick Timoney getting on? he was a good player that went North.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 whutwhat

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    How is Nick Timoney getting on? he was a good player that went North.

Was he? He was an undersized 8 struggling to adapt to 7.

Seems to be in the academy, he's sill here atleast going by todays media upload. He's floating about in the back of a video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Number 137

Timoney is also involved in the Irish 7s, so he must be quite mobile and have a good basic skill set. I think he is 6'3 and about 106kg, so is a decent size with potential to bulk further. Though in saying all this, he never really stood out with Ireland at u20 level. But he is only year 2 in academy in playing 7s will surely help his game too.

Number 137 wrote: »
    Timoney is also involved in the Irish 7s, so he must be quite mobile and have a good basic skill set. I think he is 6'3 and about 106kg, so is a decent size with potential to bulk further. Though in saying all this, he never really stood out with Ireland at u20 level. But he is only year 2 in academy in playing 7s will surely help his game too.

He is not 6'3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Yeah he's not 6'3. I'd wager he's shorter than Jordi Murphy, probably 6'1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sharer

Hagz wrote: »
    Yeah he's not 6'3. I'd wager he's shorter than Jordi Murphy, probably 6'1.

He was with Marys in Leinster and was top class. He is 6'3", brave, hard as nails and has good skills. Given the opportunity he will make it at Ulster.

Sharer wrote: »
    He was with Marys in Leinster and was top class. He is 6'3", brave, hard as nails and has good skills. Given the opportunity he will make it at Ulster.

He simply isn't 6'3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Sharer wrote: »

He's not 6'3. Maybe you're confusing him with David O'Connor who is also a Marys player and who actually is 6'3, but he's still with Leinster.

He is a player that I thought was great at a young age. Interested to see how Ulster bring these players through. That is a serious talented lad.

He is a player that I thought was great at a young age. Interested to see how Ulster bring these players through. That is a serious talented lad.

Being a forward and not a centre i'm not holding out much hope sadly!

I would really love some of these lads to get a few starts and start pushing on

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Number 137

whutwhat wrote: »
    He is not 6'3

I was simply going on stats I had read somewhere. They must be wrong so.

he was great at schools level because he was a great carrier at that level.. he will never be that at pro level..

whutwhat wrote: »
    he was great at schools level because he was a great carrier at that level.. he will never be that at pro level..

Don't share that opinion. We shall see in time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Nick Timoney is about 6'2 or 6'3 i know the guy , he's a freak of an athelete but hasnt as of yet lived up to his talent on the pitch. Needs to get his head right because he has all the physical ability in the world, saw a vid of him bench pressing 170kg a couple of years ago when he was 19/20, and his 100 metre sprint was very fast in school and ran in the Blackrock relay team for 100 metres in school

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/fixtures/15084.php#.V67cG5B4WrU

Very green squad for today's game.

Just really McCall, Warwick, Ah You, Andrew, Murphy, O'Connor, Ross, Hannahan, Herron, Windsor, Stockdale and Ludik from what you'd call the senior squad and some of them are on the fringes of the fringe.

It'll be interesting to hear how the likes of Thompson, Donnan, Timmoney, Boomer, Lyttle and Best get on if they get a chance.

I'm not sure if injuries are playing a part but it's interesting that Lorcan Dow and Kieran Treadwell aren't in the squad. That might suggest they are in the frame for the Exeter and Northampton games and therefore more likely to feature in the league. Pure speculation on my part mind.

I'm not sure if injuries are playing a part but it's interesting that Lorcan Dow and Kieran Treadwell aren't in the squad. That might suggest they are in the frame for the Exeter and Northampton games and therefore more likely to feature in the league. Pure speculation on my part mind.

Have not seen Dow in any of the videos/pics. Really want some of the new back rows blooded & given game time!

Also keen to hear how thompson, donnan, timmoney etc. get on.

Sounds like Matthew Rea and Stephen Mulholland had decent games yesterday.

Is Matthew Rea the older brother? The younger Rea was captain of the Irish U19s last season but I think Matthew may be the other one?

• Advertisement

Sounds like Matthew Rea and Stephen Mulholland had decent games yesterday.

Is Matthew Rea the older brother? The younger Rea was captain of the Irish U19s last season but I think Matthew may be the other one?

Marcus Rea was captain of ireland u19's.
    Matthew Rea is his older brother, who signed a dev deal this summer. Was never in the academy. He is approx 23.

S35743_front.jpg

New european kit. I really like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Just seen the player shots if it. Looks very nice.

Even better rodney was one of the players and looks as trim as ive ever seen him. Should bode well for ye

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Looks better with the white shorts than with the red, I think. Or maybe it's just that Trimble and Gilroy's kits look like they don't fit them.

Cp7R3CyXEAAcKJC.jpg

Cp6648IXEAE7Mbp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Looks better with the white shorts than with the red, I think. Or maybe it's just that Trimble and Gilroy's kits look like they don't fit them.

Cp7R3CyXEAAcKJC.jpg

Cp6648IXEAE7Mbp.jpg

I think the bottom one might be the replica that fans buy and the top one might be the test Jersey. The bottom one looks way too loose fitting

The bottom one is the fan jersey that is sized for the more fullsome gentleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's a bit uglier too as the collar shape is different, which makes the red bits near the neck much more prominent. Also, I hate those ugly huge BT Sport logos.

Yea the fan collar is awful. The fitting is awful. Two reasons I wouldn't buy one.

Kukri gear is by and large pure mince.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The nicer version is available though, for anyone with the stomach for it https://www.ulsterrugbyshop.com/teamshop/ulsterrugby/retrieveProd.action?prodId=458473&shopProdVariationId=43647

• Advertisement

Trimble and Herrng joint captains for the new season.

Surprising choice but fair play to Trimble. An Ulsterman to the core.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement