Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Looks like there was some substance to the Piutau to Wasps rumour as he's signed a 6 month contract with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Looks like there was some substance to the Piutau to Wasps rumour as he's signed a 6 month contract with them

I don't think anyone ever questioned the rumour he would be going to Wasps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I did :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭torqtorq

Ulster Head Coach, Neil Doak, has made two personnel changes and one positional switch to the team that recorded a bonus point win over Ospreys last weekend for tomorrow afternoon’s game against Scarlets in West Wales (kick off 3pm).

Andrew Trimble was unavailable for selection having suffered a hip flexor strain, therefore Craig Gilroy switches flanks and starts on the right wing, with Rory Scholes coming in on the left.

The other change comes in the pack, with Peter Browne starting his first competitive game for Ulster in the second row in place of Dan Tuohy.

The rest of the starting XV is unchanged with Louis Ludik named at fullback and Luke Marshall paired with Stuart McCloskey in midfield.

Peter Nelson retains the Number 10 jersey and starts in the halfbacks alongside Paul Marshall who wins his 148th cap for the province.

The tight five sees a front row of Andrew Warwick, captain Rob Herring and Wiehahn Herbst, with Franco van der Merwe partnering Browne in the second row.

Willie Faloon and Roger Wilson star either side of Nick Williams who is selected at Number 8.

Callum Black returns from an arm injury to take up a place on the replacements bench. He is joined by fellow forwards John Andrew, Ricky Lutton, Robbie Diack and Clive Ross. Backs, David Shanahan, Sam Arnold and David Busby complete the squad.

Fullback, Busby, who has represented Ireland U20s and Ulster A, will play his first senior game for the province if called upon.

The game is live on Sky Sports and BBC Radio Ulster.

Ulster team & replacements to play Scarlets, Guinness PRO12, Parc Y Scarlets, Saturday 12th September (3pm kick off): (15-9): Louis Ludik, Craig Gilroy, Luke Marshall, Stuart McCloskey, Rory Scholes, Peter Nelson, Paul Marshall; (1-8): Andrew Warwick, Rob Herring (Captain), Wiehahn Herbst, Peter Browne, Franco Van der Merwe, Roger Wilson, Willie Faloon, Nick Williams; Replacements (16-23): John Andrew, Callum Black, Ricky Lutton, Robbie Diack, Clive Ross, David Shanahan, Sam Arnold, David Busby.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hm, Trimble injured again?

Who is David Busby?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

awec wrote: »
    Hm, Trimble injured again?

Who is David Busby?
    Busby is another promising back mainly a full back. Played Irish 20s in 2014. Playing AIL with Queens...

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We have a promising young player who isn't a centre? I don't believe you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

awec wrote: »
    We have a promising young player who isn't a centre? I don't believe you.

this is an outrage. All Ulster prospects must be able to play centre...

Disappointing that trimble is injured. Almost sealing his fate with Joe....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    this is an outrage. All Ulster prospects must be able to play centre...

Disappointing that trimble is injured. Almost sealing his fate with Joe....

Unless he's not and it's all a ploy to keep him fresh for when Luke Fitzgerald injures himself standing up too quickly next week..... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

For those with Sky, Oyonnax are playing Castres currently. They scored a try within 24 seconds lol. I can assure you, from the match so far, and their mid table position, they wont be a roll over which some would believe.

Sure, being a former Pro2 team, half those teams in the pro2 could compete and many would be better than their pro12 counterparts

Sure, being a former Pro2 team, half those teams in the pro2 could compete and many would be better than their pro12 counterparts

Better than who in the Pro 12?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

For those with Sky, Oyonnax are playing Castres currently. They scored a try within 24 seconds lol. I can assure you, from the match so far, and their mid table position, they wont be a roll over which some would believe.

It's not that people think Oyonnax are bad, just doubt how bothered they'll be about competing in the EPCR. I'd imagine they'll be decent at home, cannon fodder away, two wins for Ulster either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

bilston wrote: »
    Better than who in the Pro 12?

Treviso, zebre, dragons. Embra are hardly world beaters either.

Treviso, zebre, dragons. Embra are hardly world beaters either.

The Italian teams maybe but I think Edinburgh and the Dragons would be fine. Sure Edinburgh got to the Challenge Cup final last year, I can't see many D2 teams doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

It's not that people think Oyonnax are bad, just doubt how bothered they'll be about competing in the EPCR. I'd imagine they'll be decent at home, cannon fodder away, two wins for Ulster either way.

Also, Oyonnax lost their coach and some of their players to....Castres for this season. I would have my doubts about them staying in the Top 14 after this season.

• Advertisement

Stuart McCloskey is going to be wearing a mic for the match today. I've seen a few clips of it done in Australia and it ads a little bit extra to the coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Stuart McCloskey is going to be wearing a mic for the match today. I've seen a few clips of it done in Australia and it ads a little bit extra to the coverage.

Haven't heard from him yet - nearly 20 minutes gone.

6-0 to Scarlets.

Nelson doing well enough with ball in hand at 10 , but Ulster back row are struggling v Scarlets.

McCloskey with a few 'yeps' so far

9-0 after 25 mins

I'm not sure they'll let us hear McCloskey's mic live, in case of swearing. Or maybe he's not a very vocal player and they've picked the wrong guy to mic up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

They just showed McCloskey's first half vocalisations so far. It consisted entirely of grunts and about 4 words.

I don't know what's more frustrating, Ulster's poor discipline or Paul Marshall's poor everything

• Advertisement

McCloskey winning plaudits on Sky in any case. Broken the line a few times, but he's on his own a bit.

Really poor kicking from Ulster so far. The Scarlets 15 looks a player.

McCloskey proving hard to handle at the moment for the Scarlets.

McCloskey is a beast. He should be parachuted into the Ireland team :)

Luke Marshall having a really poor game at the moment.

Oh Faloon :(

Shocking by Faloon

bilston wrote: »
    Luke Marshall having a really poor game at the moment.

McCloskey was having a chat to him a few minutes ago. Wonder if we'll get to hear what he said.

How poorly supported are welsh teams!?

On a side note ulster are playing pish. Doak has the reverse midas touch

Couldn't see anything wrong with that attempt!

Jeez that is a sloppy sloppy way to hand over possession. Ulster back row just not ticking.

• Advertisement

Come on!

That's terrible execution.

Couldn't see anything wrong with that attempt!

Another thing referees are being told to clamp down on, no-arm tackles below the waist. Certainly didn't use his arms.

God Ulster are frustrating

50/50 call that. It looked more like he pulled out of the tackle and was trying to balance himself.

Another thing referees are being told to clamp down on, no-arm tackles below the waist. Certainly didn't use his arms.

God Ulster are frustrating

What is it to prevent? It's earned Ulster a 10min period with a man advantage, though McCloskey missed the kick from directly in front :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Did they put the mic in the back of McCloskey's head?

How poorly supported are welsh teams!?

Andrew Trimble was saying during the week about trying to recreate the intensity away from home and how that's particularly difficult at Parc Y Scarlet because it's a "bit empty and echoey." I thought he was speaking in architectural terms or something but clearly he was being literal. It's empty.

What is it to prevent? It's earned Ulster a 10min period with a man advantage, though McCloskey missed the kick from directly in front :(

It's to cut down on chop tackles which a pretty dangerous, IE Al Wyn Jones's recent injury. If you don't use your arms your tackling range is almost twice what it is if you need to use them and wrap, so people launch themselves without using their arms (Dan Lydiate style). It's always been illegal just never enforced properly. Interestingly in the NFL they've done the same thing and also with blocking, so it's quite a global thing.

Hagz wrote: »
    Did they put the mic in the back of McCloskey's head?

Maybe every second word he says is a swear word?

In the NFL where they do this the really good content doesn't emerge until after the game when the editors get a shot at the tape.

Scarlets are bound to tire quickly into second half. They are doing all the defending

• Advertisement

Scarlets are bound to tire quickly into second half. They are doing all the defending

The Ulster assistant coach was interviewed towards the end of the first half and said the exact opposite!

The Ulster assistant coach was interviewed towards the end of the first half and said the exact opposite!

Sky said scarlets made almost double ulster's amount of tackles...

McCloskey didn't say much on mic. Just little girly yelps everytime he made contact...lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Frustrating is one of many words I could use. Awful kicking. Pure muck.

In the NFL where they do this the really good content doesn't emerge until after the game when the editors get a shot at the tape.

All the Australian ones I've seen have been cut together after the match. They obviously can't stream it live in case they're swearing and even at half time they're not going to have had enough time to get a good bit of video together.

You'd think they'd have tried it out on a SH or FH though, you're guaranteed vocal play there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I was more referring to the big bald patch on the back of his head.

How many stupidly needless penalties can Ulster concede? BAH!

• Advertisement

We are terrible today.

Conceding a try while a man up is pretty poor stuff.

Nick Williams was nowhere in defense there but the real sin was those 3 consecutive unforced errors that took Scarlets from the edge of their 22 to the Ulster try line. Great execution from Scarlets though.

Better from Ulster.

If Scholes has managed to score that's amazing.

Woeful Ulster scrum then a Marshall hospital pass gave him no right to get there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement