Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I think that's a try

Brillant finish from Scholes

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Greyian

Great finish

Beats 3 players to get in the corner. Great finish.

A step to un foot one, a bosh to get through the next and then just dogged perseverance to drag the other over the line.

Ahhhhhhhh FFS

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Doak out.

Ulster scrum getting shoved around by the leagues' least vaunted scrummaging side.

Oh Stuart :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ulster.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,381 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I've a lot of time for Mc Closkey and his ball carrying ability at 12.

But he's just made one of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen with a try at the begging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

That half back pairing is terrible. Surely there's better in the ail or academy? Not having a kicker on the field is a joke for a professional rugby team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Great breakdown work from Clive Ross there

Cmon Ulster!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

6 yellows in 2 games

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Stupid from the Scarlets there. McCloskey was never kicking from where the try was scored.

Luke Marshall's hands have been v poor today.

Not even a LBP.

Shocking stuff

Terrible discipline from the Scarlets though. 6 yellows in 2 matches. Not that they'll care given they've won both matches.

Wow that player mic access was absolutely fascinating. Really changed my perspective on the game.

The bit where he said "yap!" just absolutely blew my mind. But then he took it to another level by saying "yap!" followed by a "ah look" when he got to the ground after being tackled, I never would have thought to say that.

• Advertisement

They've just shown the same player mic package they showed at half time. If that's really all the got it was a poor choice of player. Still, they're bound to get some good stuff over the course of the season.

Gotnwhat we deserved. That was the definition of abject. Few highlights for Ulster. The two Marshalls were really poor today. The back row didn't work at all as a unit and while Nelson wasn't standout poor or anything his lack of experience at 10 was there for all to see.

The lineout was good and for that Herring, VDM and Browne (he looks a solid enough signing) deserve credit. McCloskey had his moments and Scholes took his try very well. Other than that a very poor day at the office.

Browne gave away a few brainless penalties.

awec wrote: »
    Browne gave away a few brainless penalties.

Didn't notice that at the time awec. He seemed willing to carry though and we lack those carriers. Hopefully the penalties were down to an over eagerness on his full debut.

I thought Browne was decent for someone who's name I'd never heard of

He played in the Premiership last year.

He did give away a few silly penalties but he probably felt he needed to do that in order to fit in with his new teammates.

• Advertisement

I've just read uafc and he is getting hammered there. To be honest there are that many agendas at play on that MB I tend not to take much notice of it. However I thought he did ok. I thought there were plenty worse than him anyway!

Edit - not that that is saying much

He played in the Premiership last year.

He did give away a few silly penalties but he probably felt he needed to do that in order to fit in with his new teammates.

Was he the one penalised for the Scarlets first penalty when the Scarlets otherwise excellent full back milked being taken out for everything it was worth?

bilston wrote: »
    Was he the one penalised for the Scarlets first penalty when the Scarlets otherwise excellent full back milked being taken out for everything it was worth?

I missed that one. He was the one who gave away the penalty before Scarlets 2nd try, along with 2 or 3 more penalties.

He would get slaughtered for hi discipline at most clubs but I'm starting to think Ulster might pay a financial bonus per penalty or yellow card conceded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Wow that player mic access was absolutely fascinating. Really changed my perspective on the game.

The bit where he said "yap!" just absolutely blew my mind. But then he took it to another level by saying "yap!" followed by a "ah look" when he got to the ground after being tackled, I never would have thought to say that.

Mic access should be on props just so we can hear what is said in the scrum!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Abject in all respects. It looks as if there has been little done in pre-season. Nothing seems to work except give it to McCloskey and even then he ends up with 2 or 3 players hanging on him and he still leaves the support behind.
    Nelson isn't a 10 so I suppose he might get a free pass but the rest were shocking. I don't know why Ulster fans were happy to see Faloon return. he is just as inept as he was when he left. Too small and gives away stupid penalties. He and Browne cost the team 9 points with penalties that a cretin wouldn't have given. If you are on your knees or on the ground TAKE YOUR HANDS OF THE EFFIN BALL FFS. It's not rocket science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

We signed zero quality over the summer and got what we deserved. Rem we only have Henderson coming into the back row, we still have to put up with the other dross.

Ulster are bound to be the wealthiest team in Ireland, stadium built for free which is sold out most games and we spend feck all on players. Yet we couldn't seem to sign any international class back rows!

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    We signed zero quality over the summer and got what we deserved. Rem we only have Henderson coming into the back row, we still have to put up with the other dross.

Ulster are bound to be the wealthiest team in Ireland, stadium built for free which is sold out most games and we spend feck all on players. Yet we couldn't seem to sign any international class back rows!

We've Henry coming back into the back row too. Henderson and Henry make a massive difference to the team. There is Rory to come back as well but to be honest Herring is closing the gap IMO. The biggest mystery is Dan Tuohy. What is going on there? It would also be nice to see Alan O'Connor fit for more than a week.

Hopefully we sign a back rower next year. I see Leinster appear to have found ANOTHER exciting young back row in Van Der Flier. It's just not fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

We've Henry coming back into the back row too. Henderson and Henry make a massive difference to the team. There is Rory to come back as well but to be honest Herring is closing the gap IMO. The biggest mystery is Dan Tuohy. What is going on there? It would also be nice to see Alan O'Connor fit for more than a week.

Hopefully we sign a back rower next year. I see Leinster appear to have found ANOTHER exciting young back row in Van Der Flier. It's just not fair.

Sorry, forgot about henry. Although henry, Wilson, Williams are all the wrong side of 30. Wilson looking much older than that.

Would happily give them Marshall for any of their back rows. I think touhy is worried about breaking his arm again wen going into contact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Henry back as well in the back row. Really shows our lack of squad depth when we lose a few front liners. Doak doesn't help matters either tbh.

Sorry, forgot about henry. Although henry, Wilson, Williams are all the wrong side of 30. Wilson looking much older than that.

Would happily give them Marshall for any of their back rows. I think touhy is worried about breaking his arm again wen going into contact

Wilson looks done and Williams as always flatters to deceive. I'd throw Dow in against Treviso. Apparently he hasn't really stood out at AIL level but give him a chance with better players and he may shine.

Here one thing that was really bad yesterday was our reception of up and unders. You realise when they aren't there just how good Trimble, Bowe and Payne are at that.

We're trying to play a kicking game but we don't have the players for it.

I think maybe, just maybe, my prediction that Ulster would suffer the least of the Irish provinces during the WC might have been slightly off.

Has Doak resigned yet?

Didn't notice that at the time awec. He seemed willing to carry though and we lack those carriers. Hopefully the penalties were down to an over eagerness on his full debut.

He was brutal. Not up to the required standard. Another bargain bucket signing that's a waste of time.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Abject in all respects. It looks as if there has been little done in pre-season. Nothing seems to work except give it to McCloskey and even then he ends up with 2 or 3 players hanging on him and he still leaves the support behind.
    Nelson isn't a 10 so I suppose he might get a free pass but the rest were shocking. I don't know why Ulster fans were happy to see Faloon return. he is just as inept as he was when he left. Too small and gives away stupid penalties. He and Browne cost the team 9 points with penalties that a cretin wouldn't have given. If you are on your knees or on the ground TAKE YOUR HANDS OF THE EFFIN BALL FFS. It's not rocket science.

Truly awful jaco.

14 men created an overlap against us for a try. A man less and they create an overlap. How does that work. Poorly coached and no brains at all. Woeful at playing with an extra man. Can't pass, can't kick, can't catch, can't even run with the ball.

Long season ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Truly awful jaco.

14 men created an overlap against us for a try. A man less and they create an overlap. How does that work. Poorly coached and no brains at all. Woeful at playing with an extra man. Can't pass, can't kick, can't catch, can't even run with the ball.

Long season ahead.

The level of coaching throughout Ulster is poor. The McLocks got rid of, Anscombe not happy, no settled leader to get the culture right throughout the club. It always seems to me that they are looking for players every year to solve problems instead of getting the best out of what they have. It is always a quick fix, get rid and bring someone else in, but the quality of coaching is never questioned? Kiss will hopefully be the answer, but he has a job on his hands.

This is the kind of thing I thought we might get from player mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

O'Connor is fit, he was playing AIL for Ballymena.

Apparently he was told that there giving Browne a chance instead of him for that game.

madlad88 wrote: »

Apparently he was told that there giving Browne a chance instead of him for that game.

I despair if this is actually true. :(

madlad88 wrote: »

That's a bit weird.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I see Ferris has a book coming out next week.

Got tickets to the Saracens home game so I can shout abuse at Ashton and Farrell in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Got tickets to the Saracens home game so I can shout abuse at Ashton and Farrell in person.

Hardly the required behaviour of a moderator ?

• Advertisement

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Hardly the required behaviour of a moderator ?

Ulster fan first, boards.ie moderator second!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement