Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good starter telescope?

Options
  • 23-05-2015 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

I've read the great sticky on telescopes and learned a lot, and now I'm considering my first purchase. I made a post in that thread a few months ago and got no response. I nearly bought a random Celestron in town today, but I thought I would try here one more time before doing that.

I'd greatly appreciate any help offered. My budget for a starter is 100-150. Is that too low?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

A few months ago i got a bresser r102 on done deal. Got it for €220 and it is very good for the money.
    If you buy new then you'll have a scope you'll be itching to upgrade in a short while. Or it could make you lose interest due to its poor quality (if it is poor quality. Not all scopes at this price are poor!)
    Have a look at the second hand market. Theres a few bresser r102 scopes around and i can personally vouch for their quality at this end of the market.
    If you're not overly technical then refractors might be the way to go. Reflectors come with the need to collimate the mirror. Its not a huge job but worth investigating before you take the plunge. I've done it once or twice and its easy enough but i fix machines for a living so if i couldnt collimate a mirror....haha!
    While im on about reflectors i should mention dobsonian telescopes. They have a simple mount and you get a lot of aperature for your money. Well worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Yeah, I think a refractor is the one I'll go for. If by technical you mean with my hands, then no!

I just want to get something to dip my toes in the water and see if I get hooked. I reckon I will, I've been enamoured with astronomy since childhood, but oddly never got a telescope!

Any advice that can be offered is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭DarkoT

I think that the good semi-profesional telescopes are around 1500-2000$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

DarkoT wrote: »
    I think that the good semi-profesional telescopes are around 1500-2000$

Prohibitive. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Honestly, dont blow that kind of money on a starter scope. Its not really starter scope kind of money but ya know..

• Advertisement
Advertisement