Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help on domain name issue!

Options
  • 23-05-2015 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Can anyone explain to me how purchasing a domain name works? I am setting up a website and can't follow how it is done. And what happens when I do purchase it? Do I have to 'store' it (I'm terrible when it comes to this)? Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

Can anyone explain to me how purchasing a domain name works? I am setting up a website and can't follow how it is done. And what happens when I do purchase it? Do I have to 'store' it (I'm terrible when it comes to this)? Any help would greatly be appreciated!

A domain name is what you will need for your website.

www."websitename".com or .ie whatever you chose.

Once you pick your name and it is available you will register your domain name and that will be for your website, think of it like a postal address for your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

STEINBERG wrote: »
    A domain name is what you will need for your website.

www."websitename".com or .ie whatever you chose.

Once you pick your name and it is available you will register your domain name and that will be for your website, think of it like a postal address for your house.
    Am I right in saying though that you never actually own, instead you just rent it from the domain provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

That would be correct you will need to purchase from a hosting company unless you have your own servers that you can run it from

Advertisement