Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trout flies for beginner

Options
  • 23-05-2015 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Any recommendations as to what flies I should be purchasing when starting out fly fishing for trout? Ta.

Mod Edit: Split from other thread. You are more likely to get opinions with this as a stand alone thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I wouldnt have a clue. Call to your local tackle shop and have a chat tho, its in their interests to give you good advise and sell you the right flies for where you will be fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hiujn

Butcher is a good all rounder

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I started off on small lures like Montanas and nymphs like buzzers as you'll learn more about retrieving slow, fast and figure of 8 movements.
    Then the more you do that and learn more you can move on to dry flies and the whole trick of catching on the dry flies is presentation is the key to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

OP are you fishing rivers or lakes?

Advertisement