Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pc upgrade

Options
  • 23-05-2015 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭

hi my current setup
    psu is a 600watt
    hdd samsung hd502hj 500gb 7200rpm
    mobo im unsure ill find out and post in a bit..
    gpu is an nvidia geforce gtx660
    psu quad core 4100

my budget is 400-500

thanks lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Is that an AMD FX4100?

Also, more details needed on PSU.

RAM?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Monotype wrote: »
    Is that an AMD FX4100?

Also, more details needed on PSU.

RAM?

YEAH ITS AN AMD FX 4100
    not at home to check psu

Do you have an aim to run anything in particular, also what is the resolution of your monitor?

Do you have an aim to run anything in particular, also what is the resolution of your monitor?
    my monitor is a benq xl2420t

my aim is to get games running really nicely as besty of quality as i can

Right, you're talking about 1920x1080.

The GTX 660 isn't too bad. You might need to upgrade that in a while if you want full detail at that resolution. I'd be more concerned about that CPU right now. It's one of those older Bulldozer quad cores. If you wanted to go down the slightly cheaper route, you could see which CPUs are compatible with the motherboard. You could get an octo-core for about €150.

The more expensive route would be to get a new CPU and motherboard. You wouldn't need a CPU upgrade for a long time after that. You could get something like a 4670K if you fancied overclocking.
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/Sockel+1150/78027/Intel+Core+i5-4670K+Box%2C+LGA1150.article
    Or you can save €50 and get a cheaper i5 that doesn't overclock. Another alternative is to get something like a xeon CPU for similar price. This has hyperthreading.
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/Sockel+1150+(XEON)/78093/Intel+Xeon+E3-1230v3+Bx%2C+LGA1150.article

You'd need a new motherboard... something like...
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/DDR3/179451/ASRock+Z97+Anniversary%2C+Sockel+1150%2C+ATX.article

I would definitely get an SSD though. You can get a 250GB one for less than €100 now.
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/Solid-State-Disk/212257/Crucial+SSD+250GB+BX100.article

• Advertisement

Right, you're talking about 1920x1080.

The GTX 660 isn't too bad. You might need to upgrade that in a while if you want full detail at that resolution. I'd be more concerned about that CPU right now. It's one of those older Bulldozer quad cores. If you wanted to go down the slightly cheaper route, you could see which CPUs are compatible with the motherboard. You could get an octo-core for about €150.

The more expensive route would be to get a new CPU and motherboard. You wouldn't need a CPU upgrade for a long time after that. You could get something like a 4670K if you fancied overclocking.
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/Sockel+1150/78027/Intel+Core+i5-4670K+Box%2C+LGA1150.article
    Or you can save €50 and get a cheaper i5 that doesn't overclock. Another alternative is to get something like a xeon CPU for similar price. This has hyperthreading.
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/Sockel+1150+(XEON)/78093/Intel+Xeon+E3-1230v3+Bx%2C+LGA1150.article

You'd need a new motherboard... something like...
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/DDR3/179451/ASRock+Z97+Anniversary%2C+Sockel+1150%2C+ATX.article

I would definitely get an SSD though. You can get a 250GB one for less than €100 now.
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/Solid-State-Disk/212257/Crucial+SSD+250GB+BX100.article
    would overclocking the cpu be an option? was looking at either buying another 660 and running sli or buying a 780 card.. although if i buy another 660 it will mean needing an upgrade of psu.

Well yeah, you could overclock, but it's still not a great CPU. They were the first of a new generation of CPUs and aren't great. Power consumption goes way up when you overclock that particular line. I don't really think it's enough for the demands of modern games. GPU is always most important, but you still want a certain baseline of CPU power. I'd at least get something like an FX-6300. €100, newer generation, more cores better for overclocking. Or a FX-8320 for about €150, though this depends on the capabilities of your motherboard. It's a cheaper option, but obviously wouldn't be as powerful as the Intel option. Prices are quite high on the CPUs at the moment with the exchange rates so now mightn't be the best time to fork out for an overhaul... especially when DDR 4 systems will be on their way soon.

Well yeah, you could overclock, but it's still not a great CPU. They were the first of a new generation of CPUs and aren't great. Power consumption goes way up when you overclock that particular line. I don't really think it's enough for the demands of modern games. GPU is always most important, but you still want a certain baseline of CPU power. I'd at least get something like an FX-6300. €100, newer generation, more cores better for overclocking. Or a FX-8320 for about €150, though this depends on the capabilities of your motherboard. It's a cheaper option, but obviously wouldn't be as powerful as the Intel option. Prices are quite high on the CPUs at the moment with the exchange rates so now mightn't be the best time to fork out for an overhaul... especially when DDR 4 systems will be on their way soon.

ok when it comes to gpu what is good value for money i was looking at buying a 780

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

970 is better than a 780

Value for money, you're looking at a 960, 970, R9 280X or 290

970 is better than a 780

Value for money, you're looking at a 960, 970, R9 280X or 290
    are they all higher end gpu? like would they leave the 660 in the dust?

• Advertisement

280x is the worst card there and its a good bit better. R9 300 series is out soon, will flood the second hand card market if you wanted to wait until then

280x is the worst card there and its a good bit better.
    im budgeting about 250 for a card just wanna get graphics fairly smooth and silky

280x is the worst card there and its a good bit better. R9 300 series is out soon, will flood the second hand card market if you wanted to wait until then

when is that out?

when is that out?

About June

I've a 280x, any games in particular you're looking at? I don't have CSGO now

Handles pretty much everything I've tried at 60fps, Ultra

About June

I've a 280x, any games in particular you're looking at? I don't have CSGO now

Handles pretty much everything I've tried at 60fps, Ultra
    ah my 660 pisses through csgo doesnt take much to run that well.

how much is a 280x?

About 250, 960 is worth looking at too. I'd take the 280x though.

Hits TW3 to ~51fps on Med, Titan only hits 60fps the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't think the R9 280X is really worse than the GTX960, and it has an extra 1GB of vram. You can get a 280X for €190 from CEX with a 12 month warranty. Bit luck of the draw but I bought one out of curiosity from the website one day, with no idea what model it would be - ended up getting the Sapphire Vapor-X 280X.

Coming from a GTX660 either of those cards is a nice upgrade and won't end up costing much when you factor in the 100 you should get for the GTX660.

CPU wise, you can either go hex or octa-core if you don't want the hassle of swapping out the board, but a basic board + basic i3 processor will destroy the Fx4100 in games and it's what I'd choose, the AMD lines these days are poor choices for gaming in my opinion - power hungry, hot, and crap per thread performance. Better suited to non-gaming applications.

It won't cost much either, maybe €160-170, and you should get about 100 back for the Fx4100 and am3 board.

So you shouldn't have to spend more than about 220 net overall to get a massively improved machine.

I don't think the R9 280X is really worse than the GTX960, and it has an extra 1GB of vram. You can get a 280X for €190 from CEX with a 12 month warranty. Bit luck of the draw but I bought one out of curiosity from the website one day, with no idea what model it would be - ended up getting the Sapphire Vapor-X 280X.

Coming from a GTX660 either of those cards is a nice upgrade and won't end up costing much when you factor in the 100 you should get for the GTX660.

CPU wise, you can either go hex or octa-core if you don't want the hassle of swapping out the board, but a basic board + basic i3 processor will destroy the Fx4100 in games and it's what I'd choose, the AMD lines these days are poor choices for gaming in my opinion - power hungry, hot, and crap per thread performance. Better suited to non-gaming applications.

It won't cost much either, maybe €160-170, and you should get about 100 back for the Fx4100 and am3 board.

So you shouldn't have to spend more than about 220 net overall to get a massively improved machine.
    guy on adverts wants my 660 card and 250 euro for a 780 card

I think that's way too expensive

Are parts easy to sell though the mobo and fx 4100 would they be a hard sell I'm limited to funds so need to offload them quickly if I'm going that way.

Would an i3 processor not be behind spec wise though

i3 is fine. Most games aren't CPU intensive

• Advertisement

i3 is fine. Most games aren't CPU intensive

I want the PC to play arma and dayz reasonably well

Its grand for those

Would I be better off trying to get a more up to date like an i5 or i7 though what would I be looking at reasonable price wise for motherboard and processor?

i3 is 115
    i5 4460 is 175

Cheapo motherboard is about 50
    Decent is about 80

The i3 will be fine. Of course it's a matter of how much you want to spend. Obviously an i5 is technically better, but in the vast majority of games, the GPU is what matters not the CPU - at least, not when you have a current generation i3.

The i3-4150 or 4160 would be 50%+ faster than the Fx4100 in games, and it uses less power, runs cooler, etc.

The i3 will be fine. Of course it's a matter of how much you want to spend. Obviously an i5 is technically better, but in the vast majority of games, the GPU is what matters not the CPU - at least, not when you have a current generation i3.

The i3-4150 or 4160 would be 50%+ faster than the Fx4100 in games, and it uses less power, runs cooler, etc.

just wondering would the i3 and new mobo play the likes of arma better than an fx8350 cpu?

hi guys just an update i have a chance to swap my gtx660 card and 250 cash for a gtx 780 http://www.zotac.com/products/graphics-cards/geforce-700-series/gtx-780/product/gtx-780/detail/geforce-gtx-780-oc-1.html

or i can order a gtx 970

im thinking if i go one way ill save a few quid but will that saving be worth it or will the gtx 970 be well worth taking the hit for?

also I am gonna basically change everything starting with gpu and buy an ssd and next few weeks im thinking of changing cpu to intel i5 or i7

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

I wouldn't trade the cards, I would sell what you have for 100-150 and buy a 970 card instead. 780 is a good card, but its a generation old. I would also try push to an i5 if possible, as you will most likely use the computer for more than just gaming.

That's a terrible deal. You're basically handing over 350+ for a last gen card with no warranty.

A lot of people on adverts live in denial as to what parts are worth, I see GTX780's with asking prices of 300 regularly.

Don't know if the i3 would be better at Arma than the 8350 as I don't know how well Arma scales across processors, but in the vast majority of games the i3 easily beats the 8350, while using far less power and running cooler. I'd wage that probably applies to Arma as well.

Whatever about an i5 unless you're doing rendering/editing that uses the power of an i7 you're wasting your time, games perform no better on the i7 vs i5 (and in most cases even i3).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

I would also like to add, that the CPU will affect how Dayz runs because the game is on a bad engine, and it is quite CPU intensive game for that reason I believe.

Advertisement