Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pc upgrade

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I have agreed a deal for a zotac gtx 780 ti AMP for 330 euro, a guy i know says the ti is a very good card and worth the 330.

i am going to upgrade to an i3 i think and sell the amd 4100 cpu and motherboard.

Jesus nobody said pc gaming was gonna be as addictive as this im just trying to get a beast machine now lol

WE NEEEEEED MORE POWWWWWWEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRR

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

I started with trying to build something for 700, and I am now over 1400

vlad2009 wrote: »
    I started with trying to build something for 700, and I am now over 1400
    ANYONE that says you can build a pc and game on it for 500 and honestly be happy with it and not want to upgrade it straight away is a damned liar ;)

I did end up selling my console to have a better rig haha

vlad2009 wrote: »
    I did end up selling my console to have a better rig haha

i have sold my xbox one ps4 ajnd wii u is next to go and i have a ****load of cash to splash :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I have agreed a deal for a zotac gtx 780 ti AMP for 330 euro, a guy i know says the ti is a very good card and worth the 330.

i am going to upgrade to an i3 i think and sell the amd 4100 cpu and motherboard.

Jesus nobody said pc gaming was gonna be as addictive as this im just trying to get a beast machine now lol

WE NEEEEEED MORE POWWWWWWEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRR

lol

I wouldn't recommend it, better off getting a new GTX970 for just a few quid more, full warranty and peace of mind - and the same performance. 330 for a 2nd hand card with no warranty - that's not a bargain to be honest.

As for the 500 debate, i3-4160 + GTX750Ti and you're able to play New Blood, Battlefield Hardline, GTA V and others at 1080p at mid-high settings at 60fps. No shame in that, and when you factor in the cost of PC games being considerable lower than their console counterparts...

I wouldn't recommend it, better off getting a new GTX970 for just a few quid more, full warranty and peace of mind - and the same performance. 330 for a 2nd hand card with no warranty - that's not a bargain to be honest.

As for the 500 debate, i3-4160 + GTX750Ti and you're able to play New Blood, Battlefield Hardline, GTA V and others at 1080p at mid-high settings at 60fps. No shame in that, and when you factor in the cost of PC games being considerable lower than their console counterparts...

so you reckon that card isnt worth 330? whats its true value?

so you reckon that card isnt worth 330? whats its true value?

The true value of anything as far as I'm concerned is what anyone is willing to pay for it.

However, that said, considering you can get a brand new GTX970 with full international warranty for 350, 330 for a second hand 780ti, which is more or less a GTX970 from the previous gen, is madness.

The true value of anything as far as I'm concerned is what anyone is willing to pay for it.

However, that said, considering you can get a brand new GTX970 with full international warranty for 350, 330 for a second hand 780ti, which is more or less a GTX970 from the previous gen, is madness.

I have seen a fair few reviews stating that card tops the 970 though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I have seen a fair few reviews stating that card tops the 970 though

Them reviews you seen probably didn't take into account the 780ti has a year head start in drivers.

Personally I'd go with terrors advice get the newer 970.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1006-the-witcher-3-benchmarks/page2.html

• Advertisement

And at the end of the day, if the card goes bad in a month, you might as well have flushed your 350 euro down the toilet. It just doesn't make sense from any angle.

Also certain 970s can be overclocked to have the power of a stock 980. Or so I've heard, I got the Gigabyte G1 gaming one myself and will overclock it quite a bit when I need to.

What do you lads think of the r9 290x cards? Seem to be a little cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Good card, shines at higher resolutions. Probably stick with Nvidia at 1080p, ,AMD anything higher

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I'd also look at a cpu upgrade before the gpu.

At it is I'd say even your 660 gtx is being bottlenecked by that cpu in certain games. Especially strategy type games but there are plenty of first person shooters like BF4 that are very cpu intensive.

Maybe try overclocking the graphics card and upgrading the cpu and board for now. Sell your old stuff and budget it towards a new card. I'd be looking at a 970 or an R9 290 or 1 of the new amd cards when they come out as a worthy upgrade from a 660 gtx.

I'd also go for a new 970 over that 780ti. You will also get free games with the new cards.

Hardwareversand are also doing a discount on the higher end cards at the moment on the Asus models. You can get an Asus R9 290 for €255 after cash back or a Asus stryx 970 for €335. That's combined with the Geizhals discount.

https://www.asus-insider.de/aktionen/vgacashback/#cb_form

Advertisement