Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Being a short man

• 23-05-2015 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

On a dating site, it ain't easy :o

Ye women are a fussy bunch :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Grow up, ffs.

Thought the rule was...

http://youtu.be/l5obLmJ4O9E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Maybe you're just ugly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Just how short are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

Birneybau wrote: »
    Grow up, ffs.

I knew that was coming :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Didn't stop Tom Cruise! Wait....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I bet you are a down to earth sorta guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

Stheno wrote: »
    Just how short are you?

Around 5'7

What's the weather like down there etcs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Around 5'7

ah that's short enough tbf

I'm five eight as is the OH, in my heels i look down on him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

They are all the same height in bed.

Around 5'7

Chin up lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Move to Japan

People like what they like, it's not personal.

If you love chicken, and there's plenty of chicken on the menu, you're less inclined to try the goose.

Or maybe it's your personality. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I bet you are a down to earth sorta guy.

great personality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

There are those who will think little of you, but you have to rise to the occasion.

Around 5'7

People usually overestimate their height by about 2 inches.

Just putting that out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It's expected that you lie about your height if you're a man. If you put down your actual height women will mentally shave 4 inches off that and make the decision to meet you based on the 4 inch shorter man they've pictured in their head.

I have never met a man who had any idea of his real height. Someone's granny or aunty has at some point complimented every man on his height and said "oh you're bigger than your mammy, sure ya must be 6ft!" and most men have believed it...despite ample evidence to the contrary. Ye are a very peculiar bunch.

Aidric wrote: »
    great personality

Probably keeps a low profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Kwiecien

I went out with a guy who was shorter than me years ago.

I had no issue with his height, didn't bother me. A lot of men are shorter than me (I'm 5'8") but he whined anytime i wore heels.

He whined so feckin much i had to give him the boot! Married to a lovely man now who is 6'5" and i wear whatever the hell i like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

It's expected that you lie about your height if you're a man. If you put down your actual height women will mentally shave 4 inches off that and make the decision to meet you based on the 4 inch shorter man they've pictured in their head.

I have never met a man who had any idea of his real height. Someone's granny or aunty has at some point complimented every man on his height and said "oh you're bigger than your mammy, sure ya must be 6ft!" and most men have believed it...despite ample evidence to the contrary. Ye are a very peculiar bunch.

That reply is hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I always assumed I was 5 8 turns out I'm 5 10 and a bit. It means f--- all unless you re picking apples without a ladder.

They are all the same height in bed.

I never understood this. Could have massive tits or a huge gut...or both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I have never met a man who had any idea of his real height.
    Someone's granny or aunty has at some point complimented every man on his height and said "oh you're bigger than your mammy, sure ya must be 6ft!" and most men have believed it...despite ample evidence to the contrary. Ye are a very peculiar bunch.
    I know my height exactly, to the cm. I would give my height in inches if asked (the truthful answer too). If someone chooses to not believe me and try shave a few inches off, well that's that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Spike your hair up. I went from 6"2 to a dashing 6"4 with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Are you sure it's your height is putting them off?

Feel free to ignore that question if they've told you straight out... don't wanna be awkward or anything :o

Honestly though, the reason I ask is because I'm 5'10" myself and I used consider myself a shortarse because the guys I'd be talking to were all 6ft plus (I'm the shortest in a long line of lanky fcukers too in my family!), but my height has never put someone off, that I'm aware of anyway, it was just in my own head the whole insecurity about my height tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Around 5'7

Ah, I'm around the same. 5'7 isn't that short. There's not a lot you can do about it anyway, so there's no point in dwelling on it.

Just rise above it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

Birneybau wrote: »
    I never understood this. Could have massive tits or a huge gut...or both.

Once she hasn't a massive cock I wouldn't be thinking too much into it.

You can always put lifts in your shoes, bringing to the lofty height of 5'9, assuming your 5'7 is accurate.

I don't think you're that small, you're probably listening to a lot of guys claiming to be 6ft when they're actually 5'10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Women aren't too hung up on height once they meet a person, I say lie a little and there's an excellent chance your date won't care if you're decent company and ye get on.
    The happiest man I know is 5ft, always had gorgeous girlfriends and now is married to a beautiful woman who's mad about him and he's madly in love with her. It's definitely not a handicap when making a great impression in person.On paper/on screen though people make silly snap judgements that aren't necessarily representative of what they're attracted to when they have a real person in front of them.

It's definitely not a handicap when making a great impression in person.On paper/on screen though people make silly snap judgements that aren't necessarily representative of what they're attracted to when they have a real person in front of them.

Exactly, people can have all the laundry lists of preferred traits in the world, but when you click, then you click regardless.

Put height aside when it's something you can do little about aside from using lifts, and think about what else you have to offer. Nobody is going to turn away someone who's otherwise great company because they're a couple of inches shorter than an abstract ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

I wish I was a little bit taller wish I was a baller wish I had girl with phone I'd call her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Do people expect congratulations because of their height? There are a number of things you can control such as your weight, fitness, the colour of your hair, eyes, even how orange you are, but apart from taking human growth hormones, you can't change your height
    Does the fact that you are taller make you a better person, Partner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

I'm 5,5 on a good day. Never stopped me getting a girlfriend my current girlfriends is around the 5,8 mark and the girlfriend before that was 5,11.

Because 90% of girls are taller then i have no issues chatting up any girl really. Plus i do love me them long legs.

A few times a few lads have jeered on a night out (heels amplify the situation) , but a swift puck in the jaw shuts up anyone that crosses the line.

The ex girlfriend even dropped a fella once night with a vicious hook. Left the poor young lad crying outside supermacs with a circle of people laughing at him.

empacher wrote: »
    I'm 5,5 on a good day. Never stopped me getting a girlfriend my current girlfriends is around the 5,8 mark and the girlfriend before that was 5,11.

Because 90% of girls are taller then i have no issues chatting up any girl really. Plus i do love me them long legs.

Average height of an Irish woman is just under 5'4, so 90% of them aren't taller than you are.
    A few times a few lads have jeered on a night out (heels amplify the situation) , but a swift puck in the jaw shuts up anyone that crosses the line.

It's that kind of thing that perpetuates the whole 'angry short man' stereotype.
    The ex girlfriend even dropped a fella once night with a vicious hook. Left the poor young lad crying outside supermacs with a circle of people laughing at him.

You must have been so proud.

• Advertisement

But if you're a manlet, surely you'd be at a disadvantage if someone fights back, unless you're proficient at a combat sport, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Only the shallow ones will care dude. Might mate's 5 foot 5 and pulls crackers. I do think there's a sexist double standard that goes on with height. A man gets criticised if he says he doesn't go for overweight women and when a woman doesn't like short men it's grand. Personally I think you like what you like but I don't think the same standard should be applied.

But if you're a manlet, surely you'd be at a disadvantage if someone fights back, unless you're proficient at a combat sport, no?

I'm 5'11 and a half and practised weightlifting and boxing and I have definitely have been able to hold my own in fights with taller people. Just get in close to avoid their reach or use a weapon if you have one.

Candie wrote: »
    It's that kind of thing that perpetuates the whole 'angry short man' stereotype.

Yeah i was pretty proud of her, not many women capable of doing that. Maybe it does mean im an angry short man or maybe it just means i stand up for myself.

we were dating in college, i ran the thai boxing club in there. So we at the time were both well trained with good reactions. I wouldn't be the skinniest either. Back then I would have being just over 80kgs. Which would be more then most people 6ft tall. So i'd have a considerable strength advantage as well as skill.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I'm 5'11 and a half and practised weightlifting and boxing and I have definitely have been able to hold my own in fights with taller people. Just get in close to avoid their reach or use a weapon if you have one.

Yeah but 5'11 1/2 is pretty much 6'; a 5'7 lad against a 6'2 guy stands little chance unless he's good at MMA, boxing, karate etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Average height of an Irish woman is just under 5'4, so 90% of them aren't taller than you are.

This can't be true can it?

EDIT: Yes it is :)

Yeah but 5'11 1/2 is pretty much 6'; a 5'7 lad against a 6'2 guy stands little chance unless he's good at MMA, boxing, karate etc.

it all depends, i've seen plenty of 6ft + guys back down after someone hits them.

Some people curl up after the shock of the first punch and go into defensive mood.

Plenty of people can only use there mouths but if you've never being hit properly it can be quiet a shock

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Only the shallow ones will care dude. Might mate's 5 foot 5 and pulls crackers. I do think there's a sexist double standard that goes on with height. A man gets criticised if he says he doesn't go for overweight women and when a woman doesn't like short men it's grand. Personally I think you like what you like but I don't think the same standard should be applied.

I have to wonder who do you be listening to?

That's not a double standard, the standards aren't even comparable?

One has to do with weight, the other has to do with height, and could apply to either gender equally - fat guys criticise women for not finding them attractive, fat women criticise guys for not finding them attractive, short guys criticise women for not finding them attractive, and yes, short women criticise guys for not finding them attractive. Geez you could apply the combinations a number of different ways!

How many men do you know off the top of your head (no pun intended :D) would take a shortarse fat girl over a leggy blonde? How many girls do you know get the hots for short fat guys? Not too many of either I suspect.

As you correctly said - people like what they like, but there really isn't any "standard" applied, only each individual's own standards which are based on their own subjective tastes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

RayM wrote: »
    Ah, I'm around the same. 5'7 isn't that short. There's not a lot you can do about it anyway, so there's no point in dwelling on it.

Just rise above it.

You're both only an inch taller than Napoleon....do ye like wearing pointy hats, swearing in French and invading england?

I have to wonder who do you be listening to?

That's not a double standard, the standards aren't even comparable?

One has to do with weight, the other has to do with height, and could apply to either gender equally - fat guys criticise women for not finding them attractive, fat women criticise guys for not finding them attractive, short guys criticise women for not finding them attractive, and yes, short women criticise guys for not finding them attractive. Geez you could apply the combinations a number of different ways!

How many men do you know off the top of your head (no pun intended :D) would take a shortarse fat girl over a leggy blonde? How many girls do you know get the hots for short fat guys? Not too many of either I suspect.

As you correctly said - people like what they like, but there really isn't any "standard" applied, only each individual's own standards which are based on their own subjective tastes.

I think that poster was more alluding to the fact that when women tell others they don't find a lad attractive, nobody bats an eyelid, but if a lad says he doesn't like a girl because she's fat, some people lose the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Wang King wrote: »
    You're both only an inch taller than Napoleon....do ye like wearing pointy hats, swearing in French and invading england?

Are you suggesting that I have a Napoleon complex? I do not have 'angry short man syndrome', and I'll beat the crap out of anyone who says otherwise. :mad:

it all depends, i've seen plenty of 6ft + guys back down after someone hits them.

Some people curl up after the shock of the first punch and go into defensive mood.

Plenty of people can only use there mouths but if you've never being hit properly it can be quiet a shock

Fair enough.

Brb gonna crack some 6'2 f*cker in the head the next time someone slags me because of my height.

I think that poster was more alluding to the fact that when women tell others they don't find a lad attractive, nobody bats an eyelid, but if a lad says he doesn't like a girl because she's fat, some people lose the head.

I know what eddy was saying alright, I just think he's hearing what he wants to hear though is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Fair enough.

Brb gonna crack some 6'2 f*cker in the head the next time someone slags me because of my height.

need a lift?

The man was standing up for himself. The only perpetuation of the short angry man stereotype is when people label any many who's angry as having a short man complex. Some people made fun of him, he dealt with them and I don't see what his height has to do with anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement