Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Being a short man

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Franco Columbo was five foot three and could deadlift 900 pounds and was also a boxing champion and bodybuilder.

Lieutenant Columbo was 5'6 and could solve a serious crime in the last two minutes of an hour-long episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Is 5'6" even that short for a guy?
    It's taller than I am when barefoot, and I'm not small in height for a woman. I'm not seeing what's so midgety about 5 foot 6 for a man either. *Kinda* small I guess, but not the teenyness it's deemed to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Is 5'6" even that short for a guy? The last time a thread slagging short guys came up (started by a guy) I looked up the average height of men in Ireland, wiki said 5'10" but it was self reported, I'd call serious shenanigans on that.

Though young lads do seem to be awful tall these days. Darned kids and their boomboxes and their bebos and their height.

5'9 is the average height of a man I think, so anything less is usually considered short.

Posture can swing several inches too. One of my friends is 6'1 but slouches, so he looks more like 5'10 unless he tries to stand straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Move to Japan

Best advice ever.

Tigger wrote: »
    strong strongmen are big really big
    powerlifting however has advantages for certain lever arrangements common to the shortilly gifted

Strongmen are crazy tall. Most top strongmen are around 6'8+ as there are no weight classes really. There are exceptions though, like Eddie Hall who recently set a new WR deadlift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I know what you're saying but it's the fault lies in people who label people as "short angry man" and not the person themselves.

The point was that by his actions, he was perpetuating the stereotype of the short angry man.

As for the 'double standard' you're trying to make out - they're two completely different standards, one is to do with height, the other is to do with weight. There are many people will criticise demeaning a person on the basis of their height, as there are just as many people will criticise demeaning a person on the basis of their weight.

That's why I said you're only hearing what you want to hear. It'd be easy for me too to provide a lengthy post of links to women being criticised for their weight, so another poster pulling a quick screen grab off twitter is hardly proving a whole lot now is it?

This discussion anyway was related to height, and not weight. Is there a double standard between genders when it comes to discriminating on the basis of their height?

I don't really think there is, but one of my female friends who is 6ft5ins says there is, that she finds it hard to get guys who aren't put off by her height. I don't really think it's her height, I think it's the fact she just goes on about it so much.

Different people find different traits and aspects of a person attractive, and there's no way of determining or extrapolating any kind of conclusive opinion from such a diverse group, unless you'd care for silly generalisations and anecdotes that prove nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Is 5'6" even that short for a guy? The last time a thread slagging short guys came up (started by a guy) I looked up the average height of men in Ireland, wiki said 5'10" but it was self reported, I'd call serious shenanigans on that.

Though young lads do seem to be awful tall these days. Darned kids and their boomboxes and their bebos and their height.

I'm a fraction under 5'7 and I don't feel that much shorter than most other men. A bit shorter, yeah, but hardly 'dwarfed' or anything. Although I went back to college as a mature student last year and noticed that kids nowadays are definitely taller than 'back in my day'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

RayM wrote: »
    I'm a fraction under 5'7 and I don't feel that much shorter than most other men. A bit shorter, yeah, but hardly 'dwarfed' or anything. Although I went back to college as a mature student last year and noticed that kids nowadays are definitely taller than 'back in my day'.
    It's taller than I am when barefoot, and I'm not small in height for a woman. I'm not seeing what's so midgety about 5 foot 6 for a man either. *Kinda* small I guess, but not the teenyness it's deemed to be.

Well I'd kind of think of average height as being a range rather than the one height, y'know? So average would be say 5'6" to 10", pretty tall 5'10 to 6'2, and very tall is 6'2" and upwards.

Like I'm 5'8", and unless a guy is a good bit shorter than me I wouldn't consider them "short"

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Franco Columbo was five foot three and could deadlift 900 pounds and was also a boxing champion and bodybuilder.

I just discovered yesterday that he was in The Terminator (in the future, when the group of Terminators in disguise sneek into the camp where Reese is resting).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Aww they're little cuties, pint sized mates who are very loyal. The cut off poing was mentioned earlier in the thread, 5,8 has to be it. In this day and age a 5,10 male is considered an average height. Most 1980s bred Bulls and Betas are ranging between 6 and 6'4, about 6'1 overall on average height.

• Advertisement

I just discovered yesterday that he was in The Terminator (in the future, when the group of Terminators in disguise sneek into the camp where Reese is resting).

Franco is a class act

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

empacher wrote: »
    I'm 5,5 on a good day.

A few times a few lads have jeered on a night out (heels amplify the situation) , but a swift puck in the jaw shuts up anyone that crosses the line.

So what's the story with it then? Ya have to enter your height and weight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Aww they're little cuties, pint sized mates who are very loyal. The cut off poing was mentioned earlier in the thread, 5,8 has to be it. In this day and age a 5,10 male is considered an average height. Most 1980s bred Bulls and Betas are ranging between 6 and 6'4, about 6'1 overall on average height.

Cut off 'poing'. Like an ejector seat for short men?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

endacl wrote: »
    Cut off 'poing'. Like an ejector seat for short men?

Yes, well deciphered my son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

I actually have a bit of a gra for short lads, that's definitely a minority opinion though.

If only all ladies were like you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I'm not too hung up on height in a man. I'm 5'2 and as long as they aren'tshorter than me I don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

herisson wrote: »
    I'm not too hung up on height in a man. I'm 5'2 and as long as they aren'tshorter than me I don't care.

oxymoron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

sore_head wrote: »
    im 6 ft 3 , its a burden a lot of the time , your often cramped in cars and banging ones head happens more often

unless your quite handsome , being tall is no advantage with ladies

Much disappoint....wanted you to be 5" so I could say best username ever!!!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

im 6 ft 3 , its a burden a lot of the time , your often cramped in cars and banging ones head happens more often

unless your quite handsome , being tall is no advantage with ladies

Better I think to get a hotel room rather than a sore head in the car :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Around 5'7

Not that bad. Most women just want a man same height or taller so go after the shorties.
    Im glad Im gay though because Im on the shorter side and gay guys don't seem to mind the little'uns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

OP 5'5"" is not that small.

Also you can make yourself taller. I used to look short, I'm barely 5'9'' in bare feet. But I got lifts in my shoes which make me 2'' taller . I also spike my fringe, and I lost weight. And I always wear solid colour clothes (top and bottom matching, creates illusion of height) and most people think I'm about 6 foot now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Candie wrote: »
    I'd still like a few more inches :).

Hweh hweh hweh. ;)

ive heard gay guys are not fussy alright

They're so fussy about looks and being in shape though, where as women aren't as much..so both bad in their own way I guess

• Advertisement

catallus wrote: »
    This can't be true can it?

EDIT: Yes it is :)

Im with you on that. I find it hard to believe the average irish girl is only 5'4''. If I had to guess off all of my female friends in Dublin (college aged) Id say average height for a young irish girl is 5'6'' and the average irish man 5'11''

I'm 6'2 (genuinely confirmed by nurse + doc) and I always defend against any kunts who openly mock and try to hurt other guys for being small. It's unbelievable how ignorant some women are about this and the double standard they fuel. I remember seeing a guy on another forum post screenshots of a tinder convo where the girl messaged first with just "what height are you?", he told her 6'0 to which she responded positively but then he followed up by asking her "what weight are you?" and surprise surprise she got offended and started telling him he was a 'shallow' asshole and that it's really rude to ask women their weight. I really cannot get past how dumb someone must be to not catch that obvious double standard.

One can choose to change one's weight but one has absolutely no choice in their height as it is entirely genetic and cannot be helped yet men are just expected to "get over it" when some women treat them like subhumans because of their height but as soon as any man even mentions a woman's weight she is just a poor victim and the man is a scumbag.

I've no problem with anyone having preferences but look at kunts like these, stuff like this seems to have become so popular to say openly as well...

http://i.imgur.com/exLBS.png
    I don't think those horrible bitches are really representative of most females though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

I'm 5' 7" and never really had much hassle with it. Got a bit of stick as a kid but sure who didn't.

Once or twice I have been in a kerfuffle where a guy has thrown his height around. Don't underestimate the little lads.

Never had any problems attracting women. Some like you, some don't, it's as simple as that.

Oh, actually. Last year a girl said to me "you'd be better looking if you were taller". I got a giggle out of that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Just use Tinder. AFAIK you don't have to state your height on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Beta Canis Majoris

wakka12 wrote: »
    I don't think those horrible bitches are really representative of most females though

Generally I find people who feel the need to go out of their way to insult others are insecure in themselves. The more extreme they go with their insults, the more insecure they are. Judging by the profile pictures of those girls, that theory checks out. They are all just screaming "look at me, look at me, accept me, validate me!!!". I wouldn't pay any attention to what people like that say. They will look back in embarrassment some day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Well you'd be surprised how many women do judge men by their height.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

maybe true

but most don't go around trying to insult or hurt other people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I'm 5' 7" and never really had much hassle with it. Got a bit of stick as a kid but sure who didn't. .

To be fair, 5' 7" isn't really short-arsed for an Irish man.

I would have thought it's around lowish average.

Judging is different to those girls who were saying short men shouldn't reproduce... those girls doyouevenlift posted about are a special kind of 'lady'

I'm 5'8" myself. I never really gave my height much thought until I started online dating tbh. Then I started to get a bit self conscious about it. Women can be really specific on their profiles. "Must be over 5'9" and a half" for example.

Most women I've been with were around the same height as me which is the way I like it. I wouldn't like to be really tall and going out with a short woman. Would you not get a stiff neck having to constantly crouch down for the shift?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Who is to say it is your height that is letting you down. Could be your profile pic. Your description, how you message people etc. Maybe your an 8 in the looks department but are only messaging 6 foot girls who are a 10 in the looks department. People will say that girls are not interested in looks, but at least online it is the first thing they will look at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I have witnessed far more women putting men down based on their facial features than I how tall they are and so I wouldn't say it's the main reason a woman would or would not be attracted to a man. It's up there though, for sure.
    nokia69 wrote: »
    ..but most don't go around trying to insult or hurt other people

Perhaps not, but those comments are indicative of how a man's height, or rather a lack of it, is a major factor in how women see men. After all, for every one woman that goes on Twitter spouting such vitriolic shallow bile, there must be thousands who agree with her but keep it to themselves, as not everyone is as shameless as those women clearly are at publicly being so shallow.

What was posted was just a sample by the way, here's much more..

http://www.someimage.com/FZ4n

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I always thought I was 5ft 4in but found out lately I'm 5ft 3in. They do say the best things come in small parcels:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

They do say the best things come in small parcels:)

'They' being fellow short arses.

:)

I think really unless your under about 5'7/8'' the real reason a lot of girls aren't into you is much more to do with your looks or personality than your height. You really think they'll date some ugly or asshole guy over you just because he's 2 or 3 inches taller?

• Advertisement

I think really unless your under about 5'7/8'' the real reason a lot of girls aren't into you is much more to do with your looks or personality than your height. You really think they'll date some ugly or asshole guy over you just because he's 2 or 3 inches taller?

Obviously not, but the point of the thread is a lot of girls on dating sites are particular when it comes to height and state in clearly in their profiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

"5ft 2 like to wear heels no lads under 6ft"
    Glad I'm done with those Feckin sites lol

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Plryty

The ball is in their court on dating sites. Just ask any number of female friends to show you their tinder accounts & compare it to a male friend of equal attractiveness. The women basically have free reign on choosing a partner providing they're not a social idiot & even then, they will still get plenty of attention if they are good looking. It's somewhat understandable that they will start applying strict criteria to meet their ideal based on looks, height & so on so forth.

Tallness is demonstratably a positive criteria in male attractiveness, not the be all & end all but an advantage that shorter guys on dating sites have to overcome through another means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

On a dating site, it ain't easy :o

Ye women are a fussy bunch :p

It's probably been said but i can't be arsed reading the whole thread, but a woman that would reject an otherwise attractive (personality-wise) man based on his height then she ain't worth it. Plus, 5ft7in is graaaaaand! I'm 5ft5in (female) and have been with guys shorter and taller than me, and they were both pricks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Neil strauss is small. Qnd it didn't hold him back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I'm 5'7(1/2) Ha. I've never been called short in my life?

I was this height when I was 14 and I've never grown an inch since, so I went from being the tallest at my age group to one of the shortest.
    At about 17 every ****er I knew started growing 2 inches a day.

But I guess because I was always considered big nobody said anything? It does help when you're in good shape. But my height has never been a problem with anything and my missus is 5'10-5'11 more in heels obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

"Look lady, I may be short - but I'm gonna be this short forever. But you, you're attractive now, but soon, you'll be old and probably overweight. This is your peak. From here on out, every single day that goes by, you're less and less attractive. Fewer and fewer men will be interested in you.

Long term, I'm the best shot ye got....or ya know, you could always get a few cats"

I was this height when I was 14 and I've never grown an inch since, so I went from being the tallest at my age group to one of the shortest.

Same here. I was a big lanky fecker in school and towered above most of my classmates. It was strange when I met them after I left secondary school to see how much they'd grown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

But I guess because I was always considered big nobody said anything? It does help when you're in good shape. But my height has never been a problem with anything and my missus is 5'10-5'11 more in heels obviously.

The problem with online dating is everyone lies. In real life, in Ireland, the average male height is 5'7". No sane person would call someone who is 5'7" short because that is THE AVERAGE HEIGHT. If 5'6" is short, then 5'8" must be tall. And nobody would call someone who is 5'8" tall.

Madness.

But everyone knows girls like taller men. So guys lie. I'm 5'8" and I know guys who are my height who say they are 5'9" and 5'10" - and if you're wearing shoes or let your hair grow out, nobody is going to know. Online, it's even easier to lie.

An average 5'7" guy starts telling people he's 5'9" or 5'10" and then goes out with a girl he met online and she's 5'5" (taller than average for a woman) and she's thinking 'Well, he's nice, but I thought he'd be taller' so, in her head, she's thinking 'Well, I need a guy who is over 5'10" because that first guy who too short. So then you get all these girls who are putting down that they want a guy taller than X, which guys see, read, get insecure about, and that encourages them to lie.

So we have a system where people think being 'average' is short and I promise you, if you aggregated all the online dating profiles in Ireland, the average male height will be 1-3inches more than the actual average height. Because they're all lying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

UCDVet wrote: »
    The problem with online dating is everyone lies. In real life, in Ireland, the average male height is 5'7". No sane person would call someone who is 5'7" short because that is THE AVERAGE HEIGHT. If 5'6" is short, then 5'8" must be tall. And nobody would call someone who is 5'8" tall.

Madness.

But everyone knows girls like taller men. So guys lie. I'm 5'8" and I know guys who are my height who say they are 5'9" and 5'10" - and if you're wearing shoes or let your hair grow out, nobody is going to know. Online, it's even easier to lie.

An average 5'7" guy starts telling people he's 5'9" or 5'10" and then goes out with a girl he met online and she's 5'5" (taller than average for a woman) and she's thinking 'Well, he's nice, but I thought he'd be taller' so, in her head, she's thinking 'Well, I need a guy who is over 5'10" because that first guy who too short. So then you get all these girls who are putting down that they want a guy taller than X, which guys see, read, get insecure about, and that encourages them to lie.

So we have a system where people think being 'average' is short and I promise you, if you aggregated all the online dating profiles in Ireland, the average male height will be 1-3inches more than the actual average height. Because they're all lying.

Sorry I didn't realise this was in relation to online dating. In that case It's even less of an issue for me as I don't/prob never will partake in online dating.

But in all honesty If my height is going to be an issue for a woman then she's too fickle for me to even care about. There are plenty of Women out there who are more interested in personality, of course If you are not attracted to someone then It will never be a romantic relationship.

But jesus If a guy is good looking and has a great personality but a woman turns them down because they're 5'7 or 5'5 or whatever then It's her loss really.

Advertisement