Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does spinning only catch small fish?

Options
  • 24-05-2015 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Does spinning only catch small fish. My lake has two pounders but a lot of smaller ones. I use a mepps spinner. I might have made up a myth but would we catch a two pounder on the spinner.

One more thing if I replace the treble hook with a single barbless would the fish go back and survive once handled properly. I'm big on fish welfare and I am one hundred per cent catch and release. I want to know do they go back.
    Thanks,
    Olwas2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Of course spinning will catch bigger fish.

Bigger fish are more experienced and more cautious. That's where your experience, fieldcraft and technique come in.

I thought you had switched to the fly anyway. ???

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

Of course spinning will catch bigger fish.

Bigger fish are more experienced and more cautious. That's where your experience, fieldcraft and technique come in.

I thought you had switched to the fly anyway. ???

I did switch to fly but I use spinning as back up just incase it's too windy to fly fish.

I'm giving it up when I get more experienced at casting in a wind

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Why give up spinning? flyfishing is great i love it myself but do not turn into one of the anglers who look down on people who spin /bait fish

And old saying might help ya out "the bigger the bait the bigger the fish " now there is always exceptions but try move up a size or two in the spinner

popsy09 wrote: »
    Why give up spinning? flyfishing is great i love it myself but do not turn into one of the anglers who look down on people who spin /bait fish

And old saying might help ya out "the bigger the bait the bigger the fish " now there is always exceptions but try move up a size or two in the spinner

I won't give it up so.
    Thanks for the help popsy09
    Thanks,
    Olly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Seller159

Olwas2014 wrote: »
    Does spinning only catch small fish. My lake has two pounders but a lot of smaller ones. I use a mepps spinner. I might have made up a myth but would we catch a two pounder on the spinner.

One more thing if I replace the treble hook with a single barbless would the fish go back and survive once handled properly. I'm big on fish welfare and I am one hundred per cent catch and release. I want to know do they go back.
    Thanks,
    Olwas2014

Most bigger fish will go for a smaller bait like a spinner or plug lure ect a meps size 3 or 3 will get big fish too. I caught a pike last month I think it was in a lake on a smallish spinner for salmon😄 ( same size a meps size 2) so you just know what could happen really just depends on the mood of the fish I suppose and weather or not the spinner or lure you are using catches his eye😊 good look anyway

• Advertisement

Seller159 wrote: »
    Most bigger fish will go for a smaller bait like a spinner or plug lure ect a meps size 3 or 3 will get big fish too. I caught a pike last month I think it was in a lake on a smallish spinner for salmon😄 ( same size a meps size 2) so you just know what could happen really just depends on the mood of the fish I suppose and weather or not the spinner or lure you are using catches his eye😊 good look anyway

Thanks

Advertisement