Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xavi

• 24-05-2015 2:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭

Amongst the best to ever play the game in a lot of people's opinion, influenced a lot of players of the current generation, in light of him him leaving the club that made him, what are people's opinion of him?

Surely he's played a big part in making Barcelona the club they are today, and in turn they've made him the player he is today. In my opinion one of the best midfielders to ever kick a ball. And to this day I believe he's still one of the best midfielders out there. Incredibly gifted. Just thought him leaving arguably the greatest club in the world warranted a thread in itself.

Apologies for any spelling or grammar mistakes as I'm absolutely pissed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Qatar next is not a good decision though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Yeah I agree, he could walk into most first teams in my opinion even at his age, and the mls is probably crying out for him, he could make good money and live in a good location while still playing first team football. Qatar wouldnt exactly be my first choice of places to move to if I was in his position.

It's not so much that it's "not good" as it's "****ing disgraceful" tbh.

Not only that, but part of his new role is to become an ambassador for the 2022 World Cup.

Great player, he'll make a fortune and Blatter will pat him on the head.

Maybe it is for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He was a joy to watch, and formed the backbone of one of the greatest club sides ever. He will be sorely missed.

Qatar an awful move for him. He could have played in the EPL for a few more seasons. But I'm guessing the Qatari move is a PR job for the WC, mght see some other retiring star names there in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Can't wait to hear what Paul Scholes thinks of him...

Whatever about going to play in Qatar, being an ambassador for 2022 is a bit of a disappointment from a player admired by so many. Someone's got to do it I suppose, Adebayor or Tevez anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Yeah he's gone down massively in my estimations. Great player though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Really really bad move.

Awful in fact.

Very disappointing from someone who has no need of money at this stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I saw him play a couple of times and the man is truly a wonderful player for both Spain and Barca. Sad to see him leave finally.

Qatar? Meh, it is a retirement money move no different than going to MLS. If hasn't played as much this year so maybe doesn't feel upto one of the competitive leagues.

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I saw him play a couple of times and the man is truly a wonderful player for both Spain and Barca. Sad to see him leave finally.

Qatar? Meh, it is a retirement money move no different than going to MLS. If hasn't played as much this year so maybe doesn't feel upto one of the competitive leagues.

The MLS ... Now with added slavery!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Any player publicly backing the 2022 World Cup is going to come under criticism and rightly so.

I don't think football in the USA has the same air of corruption and human rights issues about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Any player publicly backing the 2022 World Cup is going to come under criticism and rightly so.

Doesn't take away from his playing career imo

Drogba went to China (albeit briefly) and noone thought any less of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ah come on now!

Doesn't take away from his playing career imo

Drogba went to China (albeit briefly) and noone thought any less of him

It's not going to "a bold country" that might have foreign affairs or human rights issues or whatever.

The World Cup in 2022 has a particular association with corruption and human rights abuses. And he has taken up a role promoting it. It was hardly necessary.

It's not going to "a bold country" that might have foreign affairs or human rights issues or whatever.

The World Cup in 2022 has a particular association with corruption and human rights abuses. And he has taken up a role promoting it. It was hardly necessary.

Judge Xavi when you check your wardrobe and all your possessions to see whether you are supporting the economies of 'bold countries'. Are we seriously going there?
    The man is offered alot of money to play a low level of football, do a bit of coaching etc., similar to Gerard/Keane/Lampard et al. US has executed more people that Qatar, killed more civilians, started more wars. Where are the threads giving out about their decisions? Taking a job in a country does not imply support for the regime that is currently in charge. Talk to your TD about sanctions if you are that concerned about human rights. What actions have you taken to address the human rights issues you mention above? or do you want footballers to do campaigning on your behalf?:rolleyes:

Judge Xavi when you check your wardrobe and all your possessions to see whether you are supporting the economies of 'bold countries'. Are we seriously going there?
    The man is offered alot of money to play a low level of football, do a bit of coaching etc., similar to Gerard/Keane/Lampard et al. US has executed more people that Qatar, killed more civilians, started more wars. Where are the threads giving out about their decisions? Taking a job in a country does not imply support for the regime that is currently in charge. Talk to your TD about sanctions if you are that concerned about human rights. What actions have you taken to address the human rights issues you mention above? or do you want footballers to do campaigning on your behalf?:rolleyes:

I checked my wardrobe.

And I haven't been appointed ambassador for an event that has connections with corruption and human rights abuses.

Might try the kitchen presses in case it's in there.

Hilarious that you think buying a pair of Nike runners is pretty much the exact same thing as being an ambassador for the 2022 World Cup!

Hilarious that you think buying a pair of Nike runners is pretty much the exact same thing as being an ambassador for the 2022 World Cup!

Hilarious that you do not

Hilarious that you do not

Are you high

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    Are you high
    Nope, just pointing out people's hypocrisy who do nothing yet get outraged where a footballer does a similar amount.

Anyway, Xavi great player, what he does outside of his football career does not take away from that.

Nope, just pointing out people's hypocrisy who do nothing yet get outraged where a footballer does a similar amount.

Anyway, Xavi great player, what he does outside of his football career does not take away from that.

Hold on there.

You don't have the first clue what I do!

You're a mod. You know the rules about staying on topic. The topic isn't me, so you can leave out the analysis of my contribution to humans rights issues and the hypocrisy stuff.

That's a very very dangerous opinion that you're holding to be honest, and perhaps one that you should think about before putting out there.

Is the assertion that no-one can protest unless they're absolutely whiter than white in terms of products in their wardrobe?

Taking a job as an AMBASSSADOR for an event that is basically enslaving people, will cause a couple of thousand deaths (or more, heard 63 per game recently) is quite different to playing for a club in China or the US.

What you need to do is to stop complaining about posters here and the US. Look at Xavi and what he's doing and decide whether you think it's OK or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's really so much simpler than the above waffle. The decision to award the 2022 world cup to Qatar was corrupt and there are human rights abuses present in the building and preparations specific to the football tournament. Xavi is deciding to support a corrupt tournament that depends on human rights abuses to take place. Ergo, he is a man willing to sell his morals for money.

But it doesn't really surprise me that the supposed bastion of Barcelona fails to see that, it isn't really a club that ingrains a sense of perspective to those involved with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Well this appreciation of Xavi thread is going great.

Another Qatar are evil thread under a different name. Oh boards <3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's really so much simpler than the above waffle. The decision to award the 2022 world cup to Qatar was corrupt and there are human rights abuses present in the building and preparations specific to the football tournament. Xavi is deciding to support a corrupt tournament that depends on human rights abuses to take place. Ergo, he is a man willing to sell his morals for money.

But it doesn't really surprise me that the supposed bastion of Barcelona fails to see that, it isn't really a club that ingrains a sense of perspective to those involved with it.

Barca and Qatar seem quite intertwined. A pile of cash goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Let me help pmasterson95.

Xavi Hernandez is the greatest footballer Spain has ever produced, but he's more than that. Xavi Hernandez is Barcelona's greatest ever midfielder, but he's more than that too. Xavi Hernandez is not just a player, he's an era. Xavi is the embodiment of tiki taka, his very existence is a thorn in the paw of those who detest tiki taka, Barcelona and everything they stand for. Never has a player been so closely linked to a football philosophy. When they talk of the age of Spain, of whizzing passes and dizzying movement, when they speak of the great Barcelona sides of 2008-2015, Xavi is what you will instantly think of. He is tiki taka to the core, he has blaugrana blood.

His time was finished. In the age of the hulking box to box midfielder, Xavi was an endangered species, close to being wiped out for good. At about 5,8" and practically no outstanding physical attributes it had seemed as though the game had passed him by, that there was no place for the natural successor to Pep Guardiola, another technically gifted/physically hampered player. In 2008, Xavi turned that notion on its head, ushering in a new mould of midfield player in his own likeness. Xavi changed the perception of what is required of a midfielder and of what a midfielder should look like. Every kid who has ever been told they are too small, they are too weak, they are too slow can hold Xavi up as their inspiration, as a symbol that talent, technique and hard work will always win through.

He's the hub, the metronome, the frenzied orchestrator of the Barcelona choir who made all others sing to his tunes. A place in the storied history of Barcelona assured, Xavi rides off into the sunset. He leaves as a kid from the academy done good, the most decorated of players with the most appearances in club history, he leaves as a champion, as a legend, he leaves as a man with Barcelona in his heart, he leaves us safe in the knowledge that one day he will return to Barcelona to follow once more in the footsteps of Guardiola.

when they speak of the great Barcelona sides of 2008-2015, Xavi is what you will instantly think of

No.

The vast vat vast vast majority of people will think of another player. Perhaps the greatest single player to ever play the game.

gosplan wrote: »
    No.

The vast vat vast vast majority of people will think of another player. Perhaps the greatest single player to ever play the game.

Of course Messi's contribution is practically immeasurable. However I do think that if you were to say Barcelona 2008-2012 in particular, the first pjayer you'll think of is Xavi because of how closely linked he is with the unique brand of football which Barcelona purveyed. It's not saying that Xavi is better than Messi, just that Xavi is more closely associated with this brand of football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Of course Messi's contribution is practically immeasurable. However I do think that if you were to say Barcelona 2008-2012 in particular, the first pjayer you'll think of is Xavi because of how closely linked he is with the unique brand of football which Barcelona purveyed. It's not saying that Xavi is better than Messi, just that Xavi is more closely associated with this brand of football.

God, I just want to rake my eyes out.

God, I just want to rake my eyes out.

I don't advocate self harm.

Well this appreciation of Xavi thread is going great.

Another Qatar are evil thread under a different name. Oh boards <3

Ok then, being an ambassador for a World Cup that's killing thousands of people is grand then. Weird that people wouldn't be able to overlook such a minute trivial detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Let me help pmasterson95.

Xavi Hernandez is the greatest footballer Spain has ever produced, but he's more than that. Xavi Hernandez is Barcelona's greatest ever midfielder, but he's more than that too. Xavi Hernandez is not just a player, he's an era. Xavi is the embodiment of tiki taka, his very existence is a thorn in the paw of those who detest tiki taka, Barcelona and everything they stand for. Never has a player been so closely linked to a football philosophy. When they talk of the age of Spain, of whizzing passes and dizzying movement, when they speak of the great Barcelona sides of 2008-2015, Xavi is what you will instantly think of. He is tiki taka to the core, he has blaugrana blood.

His time was finished. In the age of the hulking box to box midfielder, Xavi was an endangered species, close to being wiped out for good. At about 5,8" and practically no outstanding physical attributes it had seemed as though the game had passed him by, that there was no place for the natural successor to Pep Guardiola, another technically gifted/physically hampered player. In 2008, Xavi turned that notion on its head, ushering in a new mould of midfield player in his own likeness. Xavi changed the perception of what is required of a midfielder and of what a midfielder should look like. Every kid who has ever been told they are too small, they are too weak, they are too slow can hold Xavi up as their inspiration, as a symbol that talent, technique and hard work will always win through.

He's the hub, the metronome, the frenzied orchestrator of the Barcelona choir who made all others sing to his tunes. A place in the storied history of Barcelona assured, Xavi rides off into the sunset. He leaves as a kid from the academy done good, the most decorated of players with the most appearances in club history, he leaves as a champion, as a legend, he leaves as a man with Barcelona in his heart, he leaves us safe in the knowledge that one day he will return to Barcelona to follow once more in the footsteps of Guardiola.

Did you type that one-handed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

The hate is strong.

Possible one of the best midfielders in my time. A joy to watch.

Ok then, being an ambassador for a World Cup that's killing thousands of people is grand then. Weird that people wouldn't be able to overlook such a minute trivial detail.

Not everything needs to become a social justice soapbox to preach from. Aye who care about what Xavi did in his career hes not demonising Qatar. Xavi should be executed.

• Advertisement

If one was worried about morals in football you'd never watch a game, the sport is riddled with corruption ffs. I doubt there will there be a mass boycott of people watching the 2022 world for example?

The guy was a genius of a footballer. What he does with his career and time is irrelevant.

daRobot wrote: »
    Did you type that one-handed?

I'm posting from my phone so actually yes, I did.

I'm posting from my phone so actually yes, I did.

bikerphone.jpg

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Great player but the Qatar move isnt great. Anderson has a point, when i think of Barcelona and the style of play i'd think of Xavi keeping things ticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I don't care about xavi being a spokesperson for the Qatar world cup,I will always remember him as a true great,it is heartbreaking that a lot of these great midfield maestros have or are coming to the end of their career, pirlo, xavi, iniesta and to a lesser extent gerrard.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The guy was a genius of a footballer. What he does with his career and time is irrelevant.

Strongly disagree. It's about legacy, and how he'll be remembered. This casts a very bad light on his character.

Good 'ole Xavi, who lived with his parents and family throughout his career as he was such humble chap who loved his mum and dad.

Good 'ole Xavi, who never even questioned any contract that Barca put in front of him, and signed it straight away, as he implicitly trusted that they would never see him wrong.

Good 'ole Xavi, who decided to align himself with one of the most vile, corrupt partnerships that football has ever seen, for a final blood money payday.

While his success as a player can't ever be disputed. Surely his final move, destroys his legacy of how he will be remembered as a person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Strongly disagree. It's about legacy, and how he'll be remembered. This casts a very bad light on his character.

Good 'ole Xavi, who lived with his parents and family throughout his career as he was such humble chap who loved his mum and dad.

Good 'ole Xavi, who never even questioned any contract that Barca put in front of him, and signed it straight away, as he implicitly trusted that they would never see him wrong.

Good 'ole Xavi, who decided to align himself with one of the most vile, corrupt partnerships that football has ever seen, for a final blood money payday.

While his success as a player can't ever be disputed. Surely his final move, destroys his legacy of how he will be remembered as a person.

This is such bullsh!t. How he'll be remembered? He'll be remembered as a footballing great. It really is that simple. Stop being silly.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    If one was worried about morals in football you'd never watch a game, the sport is riddled with corruption ffs. I doubt there will there be a mass boycott of people watching the 2022 world for example?

Corruption is one thing, the death of thousands is something else entirely. Some things are bigger than being a good footballer.

Personally I think people are too good these days at emotionally detaching from these things and not completely relating because this is happening so far away, in a place where we've mostly never been or know people from. Try to think about this as if it was Ireland. Could you imagine thousands of people having to die (probably people we know and love) to bring a World Cup here?

I don't expect football to be able to cure all societies ills, nor will every player and club act in a socially responsible way. Players and clubs may even have indirect links with and play with/ in countries and companies with questionable histories. Do I agree with those things? Mostly, no.

But this is something else entirely, this is a footballer actively promoting an event that is killing thousands. Xavi can play for and work for whoever he wants. But it absolutely pisses all over the great legacy he created as a footballer, and I genuinely feel like the people who don't see that are lacking some form of human empathy, as if these people are just statistics.

Corruption is one thing, the death of thousands is something else entirely. Some things are bigger than being a good footballer.

Personally I think people are too good these days at emotionally detaching from these things and not completely relating because this is happening so far away, in a place where we've mostly never been or know people from. Try to think about this as if it was Ireland. Could you imagine thousands of people having to die (probably people we know and love) to bring a World Cup here?

I don't expect football to be able to cure all societies ills, nor will every player and club act in a socially responsible way. Players and clubs may even have indirect links with and play with/ in countries and companies with questionable histories. Do I agree with those things? Mostly, no.

But this is something else entirely, this is a footballer actively promoting an event that is killing thousands. Xavi can play for and work for whoever he wants. But it absolutely pisses all over the great legacy he created as a footballer, and I genuinely feel like the people who don't see that are lacking some form of human empathy, as if these people are just statistics.

Wow.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Wow.

Your well constructed retorts are pretty persuasive. I'm almost convinced.

Jesus christ

Yes, anyone who comes into contact with Qatar is a vile person who deserves all of your scorn.

The point someone made earlier about the USA move is valid. There's a country that has horrific human rights abuses, nobody bats an eyelid when a player moves to the MLS and rightly so, it'd be ridiculous.

Xavi is nearing the end, he's been offered an eye watering amount of money that not you or I would ever consider turning down to continue playing and also gain valuable experience in a foot culture outside of Barcelona and to learn to be a coach, one who will have control of his club, not many other teams could offer him that and it's well known that his ambition is to one day be the head coach of Barcelona.

It was the best offer on the table, one that given his circumstances he couldn't possibly say no to.

Qatar's human rights record is suspect at best but they will invariably look to recruit big names in football for the purposes of good PR in the run up to the World Cup. In a world of corruption, I can only laugh at certain posters, who I fear may not be as concerned for the welfare of these poor people as they claim, focusing their ire on Xavi and not Sepp Blatter or the federation who are carrying out all of this.

You lot just look for any excuse bloody hell

Your well constructed retorts are pretty persuasive. I'm almost convinced.

CSF's post is well constructed and he put it superbly. Your point that Xavi's legacy is tainted is nonsense. It's not what he'll be remembered for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

What a pathetic bunch of tripe posted in this thread.

I thought it was going to be a circlejerk for Xavi (which is warranted) but instead it's a bunch of clueless oafs talking absolute ****e and arguing with eachother over things which have nothing to do with him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement