Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I do higher level irish?

• 24-05-2015 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all, I will be going into fifth year In September and am planning on doing higher level irish...I did ordinary level irish for Junior cert and only got a B to be honest, I was lazy as hell and didn't apply myself in the slightest. But I did TY this year and I have improved quite a bit (I have really built up my vocabulary this year) and am considering doing primary school teaching so I would like to move up... is this possible? Have any of you done this? I have spoken to my teacher and she thinks I should give it a go, i am quite good at languages(I get A's and B's in german) and I think if I put the work in I could do quite well. The only thing is I'm worried the higher level might be too time consuming and could hurt my other subjects? Btw my other subjects are english (higher level) maths (ordinary level) german (higher level) business (higher level) biology (higher level) and chemistry (ordinary level)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Hi all, I will be going into fifth year In September and am planning on doing higher level irish...I did ordinary level irish for Junior cert and only got a B to be honest, I was lazy as hell and didn't apply myself in the slightest. But I did TY this year and I have improved quite a bit (I have really built up my vocabulary this year) and am considering doing primary school teaching so I would like to move up... is this possible? Have any of you done this? I have spoken to my teacher and she thinks I should give it a go, i am quite good at languages(I get A's and B's in german) and I think if I put the work in I could do quite well. The only thing is I'm worried the higher level might be too time consuming and could hurt my other subjects? Btw my other subjects are english (higher level) maths (ordinary level) german (higher level) business (higher level) biology (higher level) and chemistry (ordinary level)

I think if your teacher says you're capable then you should at least give it a go! Honestly, majority of HL Irish is unfortunately rote learning. The oral is 40% - same for HL and OL - so plenty of practise on that should score you a nice grade. Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Pass junior cert is the equivalent of foundation leaving cert.

You'll need to dedicate a huge amount of study to try and make up the difference.

If you're serious about it, I'd hugely recommend going to the Gaeltacht for a few weeks. Speak speak and more speaking to boost your oral irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

I agree with anonymagician, definitely give it a go.

The oral's worth 40% and it only takes 15 minutes, very easy to do well if you're prepared. Then you've got two comprehensions worth 16% percent which simply involve finding the same words in the text that are in the question and copying the sentence word for word. Then there's an essay question worth another 16%, learn off 5 or 6 essays on broad topics and you'll be covered for this.

The most time consuming thing is the 5 poems & stories that you have to do, but as they're only worth 10% altogether I wouldn't worry too much about them. Unfortunately leaving cert Irish involves a lot of rote learning, but I suppose that makes it easier for you so go for it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

You should definitely give it a try if both you and your teacher think you've improved. If you end up finding it too difficult or time-consuming you can always just drop down, so no harm in trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jimmycarter593

Pass junior cert is the equivalent of foundation leaving cert.

You'll need to dedicate a huge amount of study to try and make up the difference.

If you're serious about it, I'd hugely recommend going to the Gaeltacht for a few weeks. Speak speak and more speaking to boost your oral irish

Yea, i was really hoping to go to the gaeltacht this summer but my parents wanted me to go abroad instead and as they couldn't afford both, I can't go to the gaeltacht this summer:-( but they have promised to send me next summer (summer before sixth year) I'm thinking colaiste chonnacht in Galway?

• Advertisement
Advertisement