Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new: custom media pc

Options
  • 24-05-2015 4:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? circa [ <= 300eur]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?
    Connect via HDMI to the telly to play movies. General house automation.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [No, or maybe I can't think of any]
    Yes. 3TB hdd.

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]
    No
    6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Speakers]
    Nope
    7. Are you willing to try overclocking?
    No
    8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]
    All
    9. When are you purchasing? [ASAP]
    ASAP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Do you want it to have any sort of form factor/colour/noise levels?
    Are you going to be storing much stuff on it, or is the storage being handled by a separate machine?

(Out of curiosity) what home automation stuff are you planning on doing with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭gagomes

Serephucus wrote: »
    Do you want it to have any sort of form factor/colour/noise levels?
    Are you going to be storing much stuff on it, or is the storage being handled by a separate machine?

(Out of curiosity) what home automation stuff are you planning on doing with it?

Storage wise, I'll be putting a 3TB disk and an external usb blu ray and usb wireless nic on it which I already got.

Usage, will be basically running Linux and xbmc. Ideally I'll use this host for just streaming video to the telly and as a general purpose server, to bridge the connection between skybox and the wireless lan. I currently use a raspbery pi which works well, but I would like it to be a little more responsive.

An HDMI output will be required (though, I have no other requirements than the HDMI out. I don't intend to play games with it :)

1. HDMI output requirement
    2. Preferrably Silent, but no specific requirements around this.
    3. Form factor I would love something like this: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/78/Dell_Optiplex_745_flat.JPG - if not anything else will do.
    4. 1x Ethernet

Thank you for the help. I am writing this post by a computer that was spec'd with the kind help from the kind folks on this forum. :)

I take it you've look at a Pi 2? 'Cause those things are a pretty massive jump from the first ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭gagomes

Serephucus wrote: »
    I take it you've look at a Pi 2? 'Cause those things are a pretty massive jump from the first ones.

I haven't had the chance yet. It's on my wish list. Should I get one?

I was hoping to have something a bit more powerful, so I can have background tasks while playing videos, etc. :)

I don't know to be honest. I tried XBMC on a Pi a while back myself, and while it worked, it was pretty damn slow. From what I understand the Pi 2 is about 4x as fast.

Maybe something like a NUC then. Not much bigger than a Pi, but you could stuff a low voltage i5 and SSD in there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement