Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a lease?

Options
  • 24-05-2015 7:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I am renting out my apartment in Dublin short term at the moment during the times I am abroad, which is a lot.

Do I need to have a lease signed ?

I would be worried that if it goes over 6 months I might not be able to get a tenant out.
    Or are there other reasons I should have a lease ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

It is the length of tenancy that dictates when a tenant gains more security of tenure under Part 4. This happens at six months irrespective of whether there is a lease or not.

If you are concerned about gaining possession you could use a 12 month fixed term with a 6 month break clause but break clauses need to be worded correctly and by rights mutually beneficial - in other words a tenant can break at 6 months also.

Tenants tend not to like break clauses because they do not have a full 12 month security of tenure but in the current market it should not be an impediment. Bear in mind though that depending on the location of the property a tenant may struggle to relocate exactly at six months due to shortage of rental stock.

For the record no lease is required for a tenancy to be valid but they offer some advantages and most (nearly all) tenants expect one for the initial term.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 browser11

If no lease is signed I should be able to regain possession from a tenant in situ for say 8 months because I need it to live in it myself.
    Is this correct ?

My fear is that it could take years to get somebody out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

browser11 wrote: »
    If no lease is signed I should be able to regain possession from a tenant in situ for say 8 months because I need it to live in it myself.
    Is this correct ?

My fear is that it could take years to get somebody out.

A lease, fixed term or otherwise, is a legal requirement. The absence of a lease gives you no protection. A tenant will acquire Part IV rights after six months but moving in yourself is a reason to terminate a Part IV agreement provided the appropriate notice is given.

Advertisement