Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo Wii U 32gb limited ed w/ Zelda WW HD + 4 games + €20 voucher - €220 @ Argos

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

I decided to bite the bullet and reserved one for which I got a €20 voucher when it was collected today. Someone I know works there so anyone who got €30 did well...although I did get the 10% staff discount also tbf :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Was picking up fifa 13 wii u at lunch in jervis and saw someone having an issue with their purchase of this. the manager ended up giving 1 free game as far as I could see.

From perusing the website surely the offer is 4 free games OR €20 voucher. Also the €10 should come with every purchase!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Yeah the the extra €10 makes sense to me but when I said this to my mate they weren't sure and had to wait until it was put through the system to see; €20 was the result.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

You can now get Splatoon for €25 instead of the four games if its any use to anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

So went in today to try my luck and see if I could get the voucher and games. I've already got a hefty backlog on Xbox and PC so if they said no I wasn't going to bother... but if I could get this for a bargain then I was up for it ;)

I showed the cashier a screengrab of the product list page that says I will get €20 worth of vouchers if I buy this regardless if I select the 4 games or not:

350379.jpg

Cashier goes back to check with manager, meanwhile the queue behind me was building (they really should have a floor manager for queries like this). Eventually comes back and says that they'll give me the €20 vouchers, but when I cheekily mention that there is another €10 on top of that, she says it's actually a €10 manager gift rather than the €20 vouchers, plus the usual €10 for spending over €100. No point arguing the point as there wasn't any budging.

Taking it all in and assuming I sell on the games in Cex it comes out around €180 all in... nice bargain I reckon.

Now to hack it .. anyone got a spare copy of Smash Bros Brawl handy? ;)

mrcheez wrote: »
    Now to hack it .. anyone got a spare copy of Smash Bros Brawl handy? ;)

Its the only wii game I have. Imagine my luck when I saw the requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I remember eyeing up the Wii when it first came out but was talked out of it and advised to save instead :)

Just reserved this deal with argos; on-hold until close of business tomorrow. Seriously thinking of buying this.
    Just found the games forum on boards and there is even a Nintendo forum too.
    What have I been missing?!

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

I gotta admit it's a beautiful-looking piece of kit. Looks purty setup in my TV unit and the Zelda detailing on the gamepad looks funky.

My first Nintendo console since my SNES (not counting the DS's I bought in the meantime) and the manuals still have that distinctive "Nintendo smell".

*sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Was in the Limerick branch 40 mins ago, almost bought one, tried my best to get the 20 euro voucher but the manager was having none of it. If I got that, I would have went ahead with the purchase, in the end, I left the shop empty handed :-(

• Advertisement

djsim101 wrote: »
    Was in the Limerick branch 40 mins ago, almost bought one, tried my best to get the 20 euro voucher but the manager was having none of it. If I got that, I would have went ahead with the purchase, in the end, I left the shop empty handed :-(

One of the consoles has the voucher option, but the other doesn't have it advertised, see the difference in the SpecialOffers tabs here.

So really, 220euro (-20Euro voucher and -10Euro voucher for spending over 100Euro). #

Sounds okay to me right now :)
    kerry4sam

kerry4sam wrote: »
    One of the consoles has the voucher option, but the other doesn't have it advertised, see the difference in the SpecialOffers tabs here.

So really, 220euro (-20Euro voucher and -10Euro voucher for spending over 100Euro). #

Sounds okay to me right now :)
    kerry4sam

Says though:

Buy a selected Nintendo Console and receive €20 worth of Argos Vouchers. Offer available in store only. Offer ends 30 May 2015.

Should still be valid tomorrow though.

Tinie wrote: »
    Says though:

Buy a selected Nintendo Console and receive €20 worth of Argos Vouchers. Offer available in store only. Offer ends 30 May 2015.

Should still be valid tomorrow though.

yeah presumably until close of business on 30th (tomorrow).

Still though, not a great selection of games by Argos right now to use that 20Euro voucher for games. Might pop into local GameStop and see what they have before committing to the console tomorrow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

Just bought one of these for my youngest. I was under the impression the wii u was just a minor upgrade to the wii. Really bad marketing from Nintendo on that one. It's a lovely console though, really well designed - I think I prefer it to my own ps4...

I took the special offer with 4 games and was given a €10 voucher as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Its the only wii game I have. Imagine my luck when I saw the requirements.

May have to do the same myself. I know I had brawl at some point, but where it's gone since is anyone's guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

€220 is still such a good price. Ugh.... Bank account is gonna hate me if I pull the trigger on this one!

• Advertisement

If a Nintendo Gameboy don't count, then I just purchased my very first Games Console - The WiiU! My oh my was a serious piece of equipment.
    Opted for the 4games ; also received my 10E voucher.

Into gamesstop yesterday first where I bought some games then onto argos for the actual console :)
    Just Incredible graphics. My character, if she pops into anyone's gameworld is 'kerry4sam' <- say hello & don't be too harsh on me in whatever gamesworld we meet - I am crap right now in the games I've tried!

Many Thanks Again to the op for this BA. Should take my mind away quite nicely Thank You Very Much.

Have a Lovely Bank Holier All,
    kerry4sam

If a Nintendo Gameboy don't count, then I just purchased my very first Games Console - The WiiU! My oh my was a serious piece of equipment.
    Opted for the 4games ; also received my 10E voucher.

Into gamesstop yesterday first where I bought some games then onto argos for the actual console :)
    Just Incredible graphics. My character, if she pops into anyone's gameworld is 'kerry4sam' <- say hello & don't be too harsh on me in whatever gamesworld we meet - I am crap right now in the games I've tried!

Many Thanks Again to the op for this BA. Should take my mind away quite nicely Thank You Very Much.

Have a Lovely Bank Holier All,
    kerry4sam

If you didn't know, this also plays the old Wii games, which are plentiful and very cheap now. They're very good, include games like super Mario, Zelda, Mario kart etc but you need to buy a Wii mote from GameStop for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

If you didn't know, this also plays the old Wii games, which are plentiful and very cheap now. They're very good, include games like super Mario, Zelda, Mario kart etc but you need to buy a Wii mote from GameStop for example.

that google search did help tell me a lot of what i wanted to know on the wii u!

Talking of the WiiMote, is it correct that it's better to get one with Motion plus ?

Are the generics ok?

One with a rechargeable battery pack would be my preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭junglecliff

Yeah where's best for Wii remote and what one is..

• Advertisement

I bought the Wii Mote Motion Plus , must just get the Nunchuck though (<- who named that a Nunchuck; what does it even stand for, Nunchuck! ) ; from gamestop but look around. Some info here on charging/battery-use etc.

Even take into account Splatoon: Gamestop here 50Euro , whereas Argos here only 41Euro. Crazy the markup. You could also use the 10Euro voucher (for spending over 100Euro) in Argos off that 41Euro also. Gamestop do sell items at reduced for being pre-owned so maybe keep a lookout on their site ; or call into them :)

Hope that helps,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

who named that a Nunchuck; what does it even stand for, Nunchuck!
    It's because that's what it looks like when connected to the remote!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nunchaku

It's because that's what it looks like when connected to the remote!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nunchaku

Ah Brilliant! Thank You :)

I bought the Wii Mote Motion Plus , must just get the Nunchuck though (<- who named that a Nunchuck; what does it even stand for, Nunchuck! ) ; from gamestop but look around. Some info here on charging/battery-use etc.

How much did it set you back in Gamestop?

My thinking is to get:
    - WiiMote (I guess with Motion+ but I'm not clear on what this is used for) to navigate the vWii interface
    - rechargeable batteries plus charger for WiiMote
    - GameCube controller (to play PS1 games etc via Homebrew Channel)
    - GameCube controller adapter (to allow GC controller to be used with WiiU)

Probably cost just under €100 all in. They get you with the accessories :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

FYI, don't get Gamestop's own brand of Wiimote. Absolute crap....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

My thinking is to get:
    - WiiMote (I guess with Motion+ but I'm not clear on what this is used for) to navigate the vWii interface

Not sure if the gamecube adapter can be used for anything other than smash bros.

TPD wrote: »
    Not sure if the gamecube adapter can be used for anything other than smash bros.

It seems hard to get solid info on what controllers work with emulation on the Wii U.

I guess safe bet is just to get the WiiMote first and other controllers later if I find WiiMote doesn't have enough buttons.

It works with nintendont.

My thinking is to get:

~ Wii remote 19.99Euro Gamestop shop
    ~ Wii mote Motion Plus 20.99Euro Gamestop online
    ~ Gamecube Controller 9.99Euro Gamestop online
    ~ Wii Nunchuck 9.99Euro Gamestop shop

~ Adaptor & Rechargeable Batteries ??? Guy in shop said controller not really necessary ; no adaptor ; none on Gamestop online either.
    ~ Batteries, gonna use norm first and see about time in use etc but Argos sell Rechargeable Batteries if I find they are necessary.

Not quite at the 100Euro :)
    kerry4sam

Not quite at the 100Euro :)

I dunno, a recharger and set of AA is already around €40-ish?

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9806140/Trail/searchtext%3ERECHARGEABLE+BATTERY.htm

You'll tire of buying fresh AA batteries pretty quick.

The GameCube controller with adapter is really for controlling homebrew, so you should be fine with the WiiMote if you only intend on playing Wii games.

EDIT: seems to be cheaper on Amazon although it's a 4-hour charge vs 45 minutes. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duracell-Battery-Charger-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B0038QG674/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1433339895&sr=8-19&keywords=Rechargeable+aa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

I pulled the trigger and got the Windwaker + 4 games + 10 euro voucher deal.
    Its for the kids christmas present, but I've now realised I'll need to get at least one wii remote for 2 player/co-op play, to stop the fights.

I'll also probably have to get super mario wii U for another 30 quid, cos thats the one they make a bee-line for in Smyths.
    I think I've opened a can of worms here...
    Thanks OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

kyeev wrote: »
    I pulled the trigger and got the Windwaker + 4 games + 10 euro voucher deal.
    Its for the kids christmas present, but I've now realised I'll need to get at least one wii remote for 2 player/co-op play, to stop the fights.

I'll also probably have to get super mario wii U for another 30 quid, cos thats the one they make a bee-line for in Smyths.
    I think I've opened a can of worms here...
    Thanks OP!

Your starting the Santa shopping early :-) You wont regret it..

I picked up one the other day in smyths, went for the cheaper deal and dont regret it. For anyone who is interested, got Super Mario Kart (best game I have played in ages and basic bundle for 199 :-) Got Nintendo land for for 14 in gamestop, so lots of family fun to be had :-)

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9806140/Trail/searchtext%3ERECHARGEABLE+BATTERY.htm

You'll tire of buying fresh AA batteries pretty quick.

The GameCube controller with adapter is really for controlling homebrew, so you should be fine with the WiiMote if you only intend on playing Wii games.

EDIT: seems to be cheaper on Amazon although it's a 4-hour charge vs 45 minutes. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duracell-Battery-Charger-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B0038QG674/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1433339895&sr=8-19&keywords=Rechargeable+aa

Have you seen this Wii U Energiser Charging System for 19.97Euro ?

Mine arrived today :) Charges the Controller and upto 2Remotes at one time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭branners69

This is out in Lidl today for €16.

A set of 4 x AA is €3.99, so €20 the lot!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Last day at this price folks, have resisted to date and probably continue to resist until it's 100% hackable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

slave1 wrote: »
    Last day at this price folks, have resisted to date and probably continue to resist until it's 100% hackable

You mean Wii U with Zelda as in the OP last day for 219.99?

I though this was normal price there in argos?

CiniO wrote: »
    You mean Wii U with Zelda as in the OP last day for 219.99?

I though this was normal price there in argos?

Could well be but the website has this on it...
    Current selling price valid until 05/06/2015

It works with nintendont.

Have done a bit of research into this. The Gamecube controller works with pretty much all emulators now (e.g. http://wiibrew.org/wiki/FCE_Ultra_GX)

Consensus is that WiiMote is fine for NES / PCEngine emu.
    Wii classic controller best for SNES (as most like original, but u can use the Gamecube controller, just button mapping might be odd)
    Gamecube controller for everything else as it has more buttons (must purchase an adapter as well)

I'm not clear on the Pro controller, but I think it's not *as* supported as the Classic or Gamecube.

So, assuming you're not bothered by playing SNES with the Gamecube controller, you are best off getting the Gamecube controller and adapter.

Only problem seems to be the pricing of these, they ain't cheap. I'd prefer a new controller rather than something with years of dried-in pizza sauce and crumbs between the buttons ;)

slave1 wrote: »
    Could well be but the website has this on it...
    Current selling price valid until 05/06/2015

Thanks for pointing that out.
    I was hoping to get one this weekend.

I don't think I'll can make it to argos today before they close (it's 40km for me). If I reserve online one for tomorrow, will I be guaranteed todays price or not?

• Advertisement

I don't think I'll can make it to argos today before they close (it's 40km for me). If I reserve online one for tomorrow, will I be guaranteed todays price or not?

They usually honour the reservation price in my experience, sure if you're going to pick it up anyhow it's worth the punt

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

If people can wait, I imagine that Nintendo will announce a huge price drop for the WiiU at E3. Its a dying machine, so all they can do now is sell of their remaining units, and then hope to make money on games like Mario Maker and StarFox etc

DeclanRe wrote: »
    If people can wait, I imagine that Nintendo will announce a huge price drop for the WiiU at E3. Its a dying machine, so all they can do now is sell of their remaining units, and then hope to make money on games like Mario Maker and StarFox etc

That probably depends on how many ramaining units they have.. Or are they still manufacturing them?

So you are saying it's better to hold off for few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

That probably depends on how many ramaining units they have.. Or are they still manufacturing them?

So you are saying it's better to hold off for few weeks?

Well its sold about 9.5 million units worldwide in two and a half years, which is awful. PS4 did that in 8-9 months. PS4 currently up to 22 million units.
    And there are no titles coming down the line that will shift a huge number of consoles, Starfox, Splatoon, Mario Maker etc, i don't think they are console sellers. Zelda would sell units, but that is at least a year away.
    Nintendo are also working on the new Nintendo NX. SO Zelda may do a twilight princess and come out on both.

So i think the only way the can make money is to drop the price of the WiiU, and sell these titles, that are good, but are not console shifters.

I really want a WiiU, but i'm going to hold off for a week or two and see what happens.

But if you really want it soon, then take this deal - Zelda WW is a great game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭branners69

Bring the email that they sent to you as proof, that you reserved it at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Says 299 now, was it a mistake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Says 299 now, was it a mistake?

No it has been the offer price for quite a while. It was due to expire on Friday. They frequently vary the price of the Zelda bundle, been yoyoing for the past few months.

branners69 wrote: »
    Bring the email that they sent to you as proof, that you reserved it at that price.

Thanks.
    It worked.
    Reserved it on Friday evening, when price was still 219.99.
    Went to Argos on Saturday, showed reservation code, and at the counter price showed up as 299.99.
    I showed cashier the email showing price of 219.99, and that's what he charged me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Darn, I'll wait for next time so

Those that got the games, the Wii U games come with a Club Nintendo code card.

Any ideas what these are? Just that I might be selling the games on, but can include the card if it adds to the value.

Those that got the games, the Wii U games come with a Club Nintendo code card.

Any ideas what these are? Just that I might be selling the games on, but can include the card if it adds to the value.

I registered with the Nintendo Club right here. I registered my console and games that had the code. Apparently I am collecting stars by doing this and then stars can be redeemed in time for items/treasures :)

That's what I used mine for,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
Advertisement