Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Storage Shed

• 24-05-2015 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

My timber shed is in need of replacing. This is where family bikes are stored. I was toying with the idea of going for a a steel shed (less maintenance). I was advised that there could be issues as regards condensation with steel sheds which wouldnt be good for my new road bike. Any of you guys storing your expensive road bikes in steel sheds. And no the house is not an option. Tested the water.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Zenson wrote: »
    My timber shed is in need of replacing. This is where family bikes are stored. I was toying with the idea of going for a a steel shed (less maintenance). I was advised that there could be issues as regards condensation with steel sheds which wouldnt be good for my new road bike. Any of you guys storing your expensive road bikes in steel sheds. And no the house is not an option. Tested the water.

Not much maintenance to a wooden shed, just paint it every 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Zenson

ted1 wrote: »
    Not much maintenance to a wooden shed, just paint it every 5 years

If I go steel I can replace with a bigger shed as I can go within inches of the 2 walls either side. With timber I have to room to paint the shed. Cheers for reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Steel sheds are awesome. Timber sheds are sh1t. A couple of big bad wolves did the rounds in our neighborhood last week, breaking into sheds and lifting bikes. Guess which ones they got into easily and which they left unmolested.

A propos of nothing <ahem> :) , we're in house extension mode at the moment and will have to sell or downsize our shed in a few months of you're in the Dublin area.

Either way, no comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

My timber shed contents suffer condensation, including bikes and gas barBQ ad gas Bottle ! :O)

I suppose a steel shed would have the structure wet by dew too, but short of moving to a desert, there'll be condensation in the winter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

steel shed here. had condensation early on as i think the floor was still drying out, but been nothing now for last 6 months. had a wooden shed before that and no contest, steel all the way. course my steel is > 2x the size of the wooden and has power which tip the balance a bit too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭martyc5674

We have a steeltech shed at work.
    Its a great piece of kit and it has a thin carpet like finish on the inside to prevent condensation.
    Marty.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    We have a steeltech shed at work.
    Its a great piece of kit and it has a thin carpet like finish on the inside to prevent condensation.
    Marty.

yup, shed i referenced above is a steeltech, nothing but good things to say about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Zenson

Folks. Thanks for replies. Most informative as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Zenson wrote: »
    Folks. Thanks for replies. Most informative as usual.

dont forget, you may be able to claim a few quid back on your tax if your shed falls under the HRI grant scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Are there any steel sheds that aren't pig ugly?

dscf0946.jpg

I'm probably moving house soon and the new gaff has a large wood shed. I was thinking of fitting a security cage inside it.

Something like this maybe, but a bit smaller.

http://www.securabike.com/shop/bikes/bike-cages/bike-parking-module-for-1-car-space-end-of-journey

Or maybe this custom job:

http://www.thesecureshedcompany.co.uk/

..who quote £1250 for a "two bike" cage (which I guess could fit loads of bicycles).

• Advertisement

we went with the wood effect shed, this isn;t it but it's like this

woodgrain1.jpg

you can tell it's not timber, but it's a lot better looking than that one you linked to. plus in 20 years it will still look like that, not many wooden sheds will look any way decent in 20 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

Any tips as regards fixings to store bikes in a steel shed - how do you secure "hooks" or whatever to hold bikes neatly? Or do people tend to just lean them against the walls?

I have 7 bikes stored in a wooden shed atm, intend to splash out on a more expensive one soon, which will initially be stored indoors but the medium term plan is to buy a second steel shed and store some of them in there.

Any recommendations for locking them - is a simple padlock the way to go?

google ground anchors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

mossym wrote: »
    google ground anchors

Thanks, actually I meant locking the shed :)

Advertisement