Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonia 5k

Options
  • 24-05-2015 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

http://sonia5k.ie

Looks like a good one but I wonder why Sonia would choose to hold this event in Dun Laoighre and not in Cobh or somewhere in Cork. Probably due to sponsorship etc but it's a pity because there would be a lot of interest in Cork for this one. People would rarely travel that distance for a 5k

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There are also plans for the Sonia 5k race to be brought to Sonia’s home town of Cobh in Autumn the details of which will shortly be announced.

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/sonia-5k-launched/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Would love to do do this but can't make the pickup. Does anyone know if they have collection on the day? Iv mailed them but no word back and times running out to register...

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

RayCun wrote: »

Any idea of the date? Would love to do this!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Pink11 wrote: »
    Any idea of the date? Would love to do this!

It's on the link. .. Saturday 13th

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

It's on the link. .. Saturday 13th

Oh that's the Dublin one yes.

I won't be here so I was hoping to do the one in Cobh in Autumn and wondered if anyone heard any rumors of month/date yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 3D2S

Really surprised for the price and considering its being heavily sponsored there is no charity mentioned? The medal looks good but not enough to tempt me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

3D2S wrote: »
    Really surprised for the price and considering its being heavily sponsored there is no charity mentioned? The medal looks good but not enough to tempt me

I am pretty sure it is an Athletics Ireland fundraiser. Much like a club race where the profits go to the club organising it.

Think the money goes to athletics Ireland.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I am pretty sure it is an Athletics Ireland fundraiser. Much like a club race where the profits go to the club organising it.

They need to advertise it as this then. Cant see it in the promos. Its clear Sonia's involved and the sponsor but unclear on the promos who else benefits. You say you are pretty sure its going to the club. Dont see club named?? I'm all for clubs raising money and if it is great but doesnt look like that to me. I hope to be corrected but County council, athletics Ireland organising does not automatically mean 1cent comes back to athletics.

It is organised by Athletics Ireland, same as the Remembrance Run in November. Money isn't going to a particular club (though lots of clubs are getting paid for providing stewards), it is going to the AAI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

They need to advertise it as this then. Cant see it in the promos. Its clear Sonia's involved and the sponsor but unclear on the promos who else benefits. You say you are pretty sure its going to the club. Dont see club named?? I'm all for clubs raising money and if it is great but doesnt look like that to me. I hope to be corrected but County council, athletics Ireland organising does not automatically mean 1cent comes back to athletics.

I said it's like a club race but organised by the governing body itself (Athletics Ireland).

It's like an intercounty GAA match where the proceeds to to the GAA HQ rather than a club match where they would go directly to the club.

Athletics Ireland is a not for profit organisation and money will be reinvested back into Athletics.

Cheers guys. Good athletics will get something out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Have extended the deadline. I hope they get a good turnout. Me and Mrs Ankles are going along. Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭angel_wings

Would love to do do this but can't make the pickup. Does anyone know if they have collection on the day? Iv mailed them but no word back and times running out to register...

Hi don't know if you've gotten a reply yet but Im the same can't make the number collection on the Thursday or Friday evening so I emailed asking is there collection in Dun Laoghaire on Sat evening before the run and there is.

Hi don't know if you've gotten a reply yet but Im the same can't make the number collection on the Thursday or Friday evening so I emailed asking is there collection in Dun Laoghaire on Sat evening before the run and there is.

Thank you! No didn't receive reply via email or twitter.

just to note that the route on the website is not quite accurate

That shows the route turning on to Sandycove Avenue West before heading back to the start/finish line on Marine Parade

The real route continues further down Breffni Road, turns up Sandycove Avenue East, then across Sandycove Avenue North, down Sandycove Avenue West, and on to Marine Parade

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Caprica

I ran this last night an enjoyable race with a good atmosphere. The course was definitely 5k but it had one or two drags that made you work a bit. It wasn't as busy as I expected, per the results there was only 1,070 finishers. It was won by Brendan O'Neil in 14.43. The medal is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Ran this last night and quite enjoyed it. Thought it was a good course, except for the cobblestones on George's Street. The few drags were nice and not too challenging and getting a high five from Sonia in the last few hundred metres was brilliant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

The Cobh version is on Sat Sept 19th, entered it myself just to get one of those funky medals :pac:

Sonia 5k in Cobh - Sat 19th Sept 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

opus wrote: »
    The Cobh version is on Sat Sept 19th, entered it myself just to get one of those funky medals :pac:

Sonia 5k in Cobh - Sat 19th Sept 2015
    They are stupidly heavy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement