Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equality of marriage and love

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

And she has been taken into custody as well it seems now.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Daith wrote: »
    When the Marriage Bill starts going through the Dáil we are going to hear this stuff too.

I wonder if Mattie will bake more cupcakes

zWgUvhF.jpg?1

I reckon that youngfella only joined up looking for a ride. He looks disappointed.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I reckon that youngfella only joined up looking for a ride. He looks disappointed.
    "Here, I joined this group of fecking young wans; all me Tuesday and Friday evenings given up singing fecking hymns, and Sunday mornings too. And all I got was this fecking cupcake".

Mr Mullet, left, back, looks quite happy though - I'm sure there's nothing he enjoys more than somebody else's pleasure denied.

Gintonious wrote: »
    And she has been taken into custody as well it seems now.
    Seems so.

While she was still free, a few guys decided to drop by her office with some media in tow.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

robindch wrote: »
    And, it seems, an increasingly hypocritical one too. Court documents unearthed by US News indicate that she gave birth to twins five months after divorcing her first husband in 1994. They were fathered by her third husband, whom she divorced in 2008, but adopted by her second, whom she divorced in 2006. She is now married to a fourth man and is reported to have converted to christianity only four years ago.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/09/01/kentucky-clerk-fighting-gay-marriage-has-wed-four-times?src=usn_tw
    That may be deplorable, but I don't think it makes her hypocritical.

But it does put the whole story in a certain light. Here we have a woman whose personal and family relationships were, um, disastrously chaotic, with a family tree that would take a four-dimensional diagram to illustrate. This is, at least as far as human relationships go, a fairly dysfunctional person, and almost certainly not a happy one. And, a few years back, she "finds Jesus", in the form of a simplistic, dogmatic, fundamental Christianity. Suddenly she has a behavioural framework, suddenly she has a clear set of rules and a supportive community that helps her to escape from the chaos that her life has been up to now. She no longer has to take responsibility for nutting her own way through life which, in certain respects, she's clearly incapable of doing. Now, the movement does all that for her.

We can see, can't we, how her emotional security completely depends on placing absolute trust in the worldview that has saved her from dysfunction and unhappiness? It must be right because, if it isn't, she is lost. So she absolutely cannot question the worldview she has embraced.

So, she's a vulnerable and dependent person, and an easy victim for those who are looking for a fall guy. Hence, she is where she is. (Which, right now, is the county jail.)

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »
    That may be deplorable, but I don't think it makes her hypocritical.
    I don't believe it's deplorable, but do believe she's a monumental hypocrite - she's claims she's acting under god's authority according to a belief that she has constructed in her head (since it's not even in the bible) that says that gay people can't get married. However, she clearly doesn't value marriage very much herself, since she's voided three sets of marriage commitments and engaged in adultery, which are prohibited by the bible.

That said, she probably does have issues of one kind or another, and probably of a kind not helped by her catching fundamentalist religion like a bad cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

robindch wrote: »
    I don't believe it's deplorable, but do believe she's a monumental hypocrite - she's claims she's acting under god's authority according to a belief that she has constructed in her head (since it's not even in the bible) that says that gay people can't get married. However, she clearly doesn't value marriage very much herself, since she's voided three sets of marriage commitments and engaged in adultery, which are prohibited by the bible.

That said, she probably does have issues of one kind or another, and probably of a kind not helped by her catching fundamentalist religion like a bad cold.

Well, if all her marital chaos took place before she found Jesus, she might feel that she's not being hypocritical; back then she was a lost unbeliever, but now that she has been saved etc etc. Didn't she convert four years ago...?

But indeed, she does seem to have issues. I thought the judge was quite lenient in offering her the chance to avoid jail time if she would agree not to interfere with the issuing of licences. To me, that seems to be quite a step further than just refusing to issue them, and suggests a determination to force the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

pauldla wrote: »
    Well, if all her marital chaos took place before she found Jesus, she might feel that she's not being hypocritical; back then she was a lost unbeliever, but now that she has been saved etc etc. Didn't she convert four years ago...?

But indeed, she does seem to have issues. I thought the judge was quite lenient in offering her the chance to avoid jail time if she would agree not to interfere with the issuing of licences. To me, that seems to be quite a step further than just refusing to issue them, and suggests a determination to force the issue.

Quite. Moreover there have been reports that other clerks are willing to issue the licences but are afraid of Davis's reaction. Her actions, whatever the reason for them, are an attack on the separation of state and church and thus an assault on religious freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,806 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Discussions about her previous marriages or who fathered her children in or out of wedlock is all moot, because God forgave her. So they no longer count.

Religion: For when you need a convenient excuse

Hitler was a catholic, if he sought forgiveness on the Fuehrerbunker suicide couch in the nick of time then all is good. It's a mystery!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Probably not actually necessary for a baptised, communed, confirmed catholic.

These priest guys, always trying to make out they're essential and in need of a donation of a few reichsmarks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Probably not actually necessary for a baptised, communed, confirmed catholic.

These priest guys, always trying to make out they're essential and in need of a donation of a few reichsmarks!

Probably asked the Fuhrer to sign a copy of "Mein Kampf" just as he was reaching for the Luger.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Penn wrote: »

Religion: For when you need a convenient excuse

Worked for Mary.....

Mrs. Davis's current husband has said she will not betray her God and will remain in prison for as long as it takes.

Brilliant logic.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Mrs. Davis's current husband has said she will not betray her God and will remain in prison for as long as it takes.

Brilliant logic.

It's funny, the same thinking is used by extremists of every faith. Bombing a building.... Whatever it takes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Davis is the County Clerk. That’s a bit like the county manager in Ireland; she’s the chief executive of the county government. Issuing marriage licences is one of the things she does but it’s, like, half of one per cent of the business of her office. Or less....

There is an easy way for Davis to protect her conscience, which is to resign from an office whose duties she finds it offensive to discharge. That would probably be the most decent and dignified thing she could do. It might also keep her out of jail.
    Good post. It clarifies the main problem here; as the county clerk she is the sole authority for issuing the marriage licences. But as this is an elected position she can't be sacked or demoted for failing to carry out her duties. US law says an elected official can only be impeached, which process gets complicated.
    Now she is claiming (from inside the jail) that any licenses issued by her deputy clerks outside will be invalid, because she is still the one and only "county clerk" and any licenses need to be approved by her.

Also interesting to note that she more or less inherited this job from her mother (in the same way that Irish TDs often effectively inherit Dail seats from a deceased parent, even though they would still need to be elected)
    And her own son Nathan is a current deputy clerk, lined up for the job next.
    And at least some of the other deputy clerks are also of the fundamentalist persuasion, although not so fervent as to go to jail for their beliefs.
    So with all this nepotism going on, her resignation was never going to be on the cards. She sees it as a dynasty.
    http://www.pressreader.com/usa/new-haven-register-new-haven-ct/20150904/282694750927964/TextView

There is a rally for her today, this quote caught my eye from her third husband.

_85390189_49bbf0ee-8ffd-4417-ad6b-74a182fb09b9.jpg
    "I'm just an old, dumb, country hillbilly, but I know God,"

You couldn't write this stuff!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

img_4444_custom-1ae0d09fcad82599be15b9b42d00a5d013ab0850-s800-c85.jpg

Upside down flag to reflect the US is in distress because of gayness. Story

This is making Kentucky look like a complete joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Touché

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

If the placard in the photo is anything to go by, they don't know the difference between sodomy and kissing. That must make for some embarrassing social encounters.

EDIT: So it turns out that, in some states, the legal interpretation of 'sodomy' can be 'anything we don't like them nancy boys doing. And maybe doing animals, too. But mostly it's the gays'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Upside down flag to reflect the US is in distress because of gayness. Story

.....or "Bearded Man holding two phallic symbols protests gayness"

This is making Kentucky look like a complete joke.
    Ken Ham did that years ago:

http://creationmuseum.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

There is a rally for her today, this quote caught my eye from her third husband.
    _85390189_49bbf0ee-8ffd-4417-ad6b-74a182fb09b9.jpg
    Not just any 'ol dynasty... Duck Dynasty :pac:
    Pity it wasn't a can of Duff Beer in his hand, instead of the bottle of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Brilliant logic.

We can only hope.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

What's going to happen here, ultimately? Someone has to blink, right? If we were closer to the 2016 I think something like this would play a role in the election, beyond the narrative mileage they're getting out of it now.

So can she not be removed at all from her position until a new election? Unless she steps down of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

So can she not be removed at all from her position until a new election? Unless she steps down of course.

I think the only mechanism for her removal is impeachment. I believe this is the case even if she is unable to actually carry out the functions she is supposed to because she is in jail. I read somewhere that impeachment is unlikely as those with the power to impeach her are a majority republican, sympathetic to her position and not likely to do something that might damage their reelection.

I think basically what will happen is she stays in prison on 3 squares a day while her salary continues to be paid while someone else does her job. It will be I teresti g to see how long she stays in for and on what grounds she gets out.

MrP

Advertisement