Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equality of marriage and love

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

MrPudding wrote: »
    It will be I teresti g to see how long she stays in for and on what grounds she gets out.

I foresee a convenient illness in the not-too-distant future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

She's in solitary, so it cant be too pleasant.

She could resign and all this would end presumably. I think she should stay in jail though. This kind of lunacy needs to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

And now we have a martyr, persecuted by the liberals because she followed God over their homogenda.

Of course we'll just skip over the part where she was trying to force her religion on others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭StonyIron

Ok so say someone who is totally anti religious comes along and says its against their beliefs to issue marriage licenses to religious people?

Or a democrat refuse to issue licenses to republicans ...

Or, someone decides that people shouldn't marry non Christians or that Jews shouldn't be marrying Gentiles....

What she's doing is imposing her religious views on someone else and abusing her position of power to discriminate against people

She should be simply fired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

StonyIron wrote: »

Cant. She was elected.

There has to be an impeachment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Ok so say someone who is totally anti religious comes along and says its against their beliefs to issue marriage licenses to religious people?
    Or a democrat refuse to issue licenses to republicans ...
    Or, someone decides that people shouldn't marry non Christians or that Jews shouldn't be marrying Gentiles....
    What she's doing is imposing her religious views on someone else and abusing her position of power to discriminate against people
    Seems pretty likely they'd receive the same treatment she did, and end up in jail.
    Recedite pointed out she's an elected official and can't be fired. But presumably if her electorate disagree with her position, she won't be elected next time round, which since she was elected last year won't be for a while yet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,628 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Absolam wrote: »
    Seems pretty likely they'd receive the same treatment she did, and end up in jail.
    Recedite pointed out she's an elected official and can't be fired. But presumably if her electorate disagree with her position, she won't be elected next time round, which since she was elected last year won't be for a while yet....
    The next election is due in November 2018, with a term of office to commence in January 2019.

In the meantime, she can be impeached by the Kentucky State Legislature, but apparently they aren't due to meet until next January(!). The State Governor has already decline to summon the legislature for an emergency session to amend the marriage laws to allow someone other than Ms Davis to issue marriage licences (which is the outcome she would like), so I wouldn't assume he will rush to summon it for an impeachment.

(Nor would I assume that the legislature would impeach Ms. Davis. She may not be the only person in Kentucky who holds the views that she does.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

All things considered.... she might even get re-elected :D

robindch wrote: »
    I don't believe it's deplorable, but do believe she's a monumental hypocrite - she's claims she's acting under god's authority according to a belief that she has constructed in her head (since it's not even in the bible) that says that gay people can't get married. However, she clearly doesn't value marriage very much herself, since she's voided three sets of marriage commitments and engaged in adultery, which are prohibited by the bible.
    But she only became a Christian four years ago. When she engaged in those behaviours, they weren't violating any behavioural code that (so far as we know) she was publicly espousing. Now that she publicly espouses a conservative Christian moral code, she respects it (so far as we know).

Not hypocrisy - change of heart.

Absolam wrote: »
    All things considered.... she might even get re-elected :D
    There's some question that she's going to be charged with a misfeasance/neglect in public office kind of charge for refusing to issue marriage licences - the county attorney has referred a complaint to the state attorney-general.

And, if she is charged, and if she is convicted (by a Kentucky jury!) then I think that would prevent her from standing again at the next election.

• Advertisement

I think the only mechanism for her removal is impeachment. I believe this is the case even if she is unable to actually carry out the functions she is supposed to because she is in jail. I read somewhere that impeachment is unlikely as those with the power to impeach her are a majority republican, sympathetic to her position and not likely to do something that might damage their reelection.
    I dunno. Although the media give more attention to Republican presidential contenders who support her, the contenders are in fact divided; some support her, while others say she should just do her damn job.

Which reflects the fact that, if the Republicans want to win the next election, the cannier among them can see that it's not the conservative crazies that they need to win over; it's people who might conceivably vote Democrat.

My guess is that the Governor and the legislature would prefer to stay out of this for as long as possible, in the hope that the federal courts will deal with it before they have to take a stance. I suspect there's actually three groups in the legislature

- Ideologues who will support her, regardless of the political consequences for themselves or the party.

- Brave, noble, fearless independent-minded souls who will vote to impeach her, no matter what the political consequences for themselves or the party.

- People who want the whole thing to go away who, if it does come to impeachment, will vote for whatever brings this damn mess to an end (which means, vote to impeach). Unless their own districts are really, really conservative, in which case they will vote in the way most likely to secure their own re-election.

But I have no idea how the numbers stack up between those three groups.

Few of them will vote with a view to securing the best performance by the Republican candidate in the 2016 presidential election. Why would they? Party loyalty is not strong in US politics.
    I think basically what will happen is she stays in prison on 3 squares a day while her salary continues to be paid while someone else does her job. It will be I teresti g to see how long she stays in for and on what grounds she gets out.
    I predict that once the judge is satisfied that the marriage licences are being issued by the clerk's assistant and will continue to be even after she is sprung, he will spring her. That means the clerk's assistants, or enough of them, will have to affirm that they will issue licences in accordance with the court's order even if she directs them not to.

The longer-term question of whether she's fit for office is not a concern of the judge in the federal court. He won't imprison here merely because he thinks (assuming he does think that) that she is unfit for office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

InTheTrees wrote: »
    She's in solitary, so it cant be too pleasant.

She'll be grand. Jesus is with her.

(in truth I doubt she'll be there too long)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The longer-term question of whether she's fit for office is not a concern of the judge in the federal court. He won't imprison here merely because he thinks (assuming he does think that) that she is unfit for office.
    Of course. She isn't in prison for anything other than being in contempt of court. Luckily for many of us, being an idiot is not yet illegal.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Nodin wrote: »
    She'll be grand. Jesus is with her.

(in truth I doubt she'll be there too long)

Quite. I am sure if there was sand on the floor of her cell there would be two sets of footprints... Or would it be one? Can't remember, you get the point.

MrP

Jon Rosenberg strikes again:

2015-09-07-The-Licensor.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

Ok so say someone .... decides that people shouldn't marry non Christians or that Jews shouldn't be marrying Gentiles....

They'd be called an Israeli.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

361561.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Some judges from North Carolina have "opted-out" of doing their jobs:

http://christiannews.net/2015/09/07/over-30-north-carolina-judges-opt-out-of-officiating-gay-weddings-following-new-law
    RALEIGH, N.C. — Over 30 judges in North Carolina have opted out of officiating “gay weddings” following the passage of a bill that allows magistrates to decline because of their religious convictions.

According to reports, the state court system has received 32 notices from judges since the law took affect in June. The figure amounts to approximately five percent of the 670 judges in North Carolina. [...]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I think 5% of judges in North Carolina opting out is a fantastic result that I am completely surprised by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/08/us-usa-gaymarriage-kentucky-idUSKCN0R81V420150908?utm_source=twitter

She is being released.

*edit

She’s released only on the condition that she not interfere with her deputy clerks when they issue marriage licenses.

• Advertisement

Gintonious wrote: »
    She’s released only on the condition that she not interfere with her deputy clerks when they issue marriage licenses.

...and her lawyers have apparently already indicated that she won't be complying with the conditions.

...if she uses the jail time and the rest as a reason for another divorce, I will give a quick guffaw.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    ...and her lawyers have apparently already indicated that she won't be complying with the conditions.

Ah here, just leave her locked up for **** sake.

11219575_1193782903981549_2725982506750900921_n.jpg?oh=3c727153e4c2d712834554619ae34329&oe=56AB8F22

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/09/08/kim-davis-already-vows-to-break-the-one-condition-of-her-release-will-likely-be-heading-back-to-jail/

Yep, she is going to continue to refuse issuing them.

This could go on for a long long time. On the plus side, Mike Huckabee said he would go to jail instead of her, silver lining and all that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Nodin wrote: »
    ...if she uses the jail time and the rest as a reason for another divorce, I will give a quick guffaw.

I sense a song being written because of this situation...

What scares me the most is how much she is being celebrated with all of this. Its pretty frightening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Gintonious wrote: »
    What scares me the most is how much she is being celebrated with all of this. Its pretty frightening.

Very much expected. Anywhere in the English speaking Western world where Christians, social issues or the workplace clash, you hear the same narrative - they are being persecuted for what they believe. It's not just Mike Huckabee pushing this.

Whatever you think about Bill Maher's show, I thought he did a good job of countering some of this a few months ago.

I sense a song being written because of this situation...

Country and Western, no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Found it a bit weird how people were waving little crosses when she was released. I have trouble telling the difference between people like them and the people trying to bring in sharia law we're meant to be afraid of. I'll give Islam points for at least giving it a name that's handy to use.

Advertisement