Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equality of marriage and love

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

robindch wrote: »

Science me eye. Sure they let wimmin do it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Do you become a member of the religion of every person you admire?
    I haven't yet discovered a religious leader that I admire ;)
    But regarding Kim Davis, it was the Vatican press release that described her as an admirer of the Pope, not Davis herself.
    Last I heard, some of those evangelical fundie protestants considered the Pope to be the antichrist. However, she seems to have put any theological differences to one side for the moment, in order to receive this celebrity endorsement.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,059 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/same-sex-marriage-campaign-used-our-language-bishops-told-1.2388824

The successful same-sex marriage referendum campaign in Ireland used language which was traditionally that of the church, Archbishop of Dublin Diarmuid Martin has told the Synod of Bishops in Rome.

“It is a very individualistic culture, but not necessarily an uncaring one. Indeed those in favour of same-sex marriage based their campaign on what was traditionally our language: equality, compassion, respect and tolerance,” he said.

Yeah right! :rolleyes:

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/same-sex-marriage-campaign-used-our-language-bishops-told-1.2388824

The successful same-sex marriage referendum campaign in Ireland used language which was traditionally that of the church, Archbishop of Dublin Diarmuid Martin has told the Synod of Bishops in Rome.

“It is a very individualistic culture, but not necessarily an uncaring one. Indeed those in favour of same-sex marriage based their campaign on what was traditionally our language: equality, compassion, respect and tolerance,” he said.

Yeah right! :rolleyes:

In other news the IRA have announced that they never had any problems with the UK government running northern Ireland or with the protestants that live there....

It's about as believable as the nonsense the bishops are spouting, it shows how deluded they are that they can't see themselves for what they really are.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,808 ✭✭✭✭Penn

...what was traditionally our language: equality (except for the gays), compassion (except for the gays), respect (except for the gays), and tolerance (in public for everyone; in private, everyone except for the gays).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Penn wrote: »
    ...what was traditionally our language: equality (except for the gays), compassion (except for the gays), respect (except for the gays), and tolerance (in public for everyone; in private, everyone except for the gays).

I think you're being a bit too generous there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭Daith

I think you're being a bit too generous there.

Yeah you can include trans people in that list too, single parents, divorced, pre-marital sex...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,808 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Daith wrote: »
    Yeah you can include trans people in that list too, single parents, divorced, pre-marital sex...

Well geez if I were to list everyone they hated I'd be here all day...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Penn wrote: »
    Well geez if I were to list everyone they hated I'd be here all day...
    It's almost as if the church realized that it's easier to sell fear and hatred than care and tolerance

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

robindch wrote: »
    It's almost as if the church realized that it's easier to sell fear and hatred than care and tolerance

Its much easier to control people through fear, countless governments and organizations have shown this

• Advertisement

This seems fitting given that the church see's gay people as unnatural.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21654663
    After another sex scandal involving a senior member of the Catholic Church, questions are again being asked about celibacy. Is it realistic for someone to permanently go without sex?
    Men are driven by testosterone to want sex, says John Wass, Professor of Endocrinology at Oxford University. Women are driven to a lesser degree by a mixture of testosterone and oestrogen, he explains. "I'd regard celibacy as a totally abnormal state."

'Gandhi and celibacy
    To test his discipline, he habitually slept with - but refrained from sex with - naked young women, something he called "a worthwhile experiment"'

Of course in every experiment there is an element of unpredictability to the outcome of each trial - and repeated trials are necessary if worthwhile, statistically sound conclusions may be drawn :pac:

How these religious leader types always seem to have no difficulty whatsoever in getting large numbers of young [wo]men into their beds is rather a mystery.

How these religious leader types always seem to have no difficulty whatsoever in getting large numbers of young [wo]men into their beds is rather a mystery.

They can justify it that they are dealing with the hardship and "sin" so the avg joe doesn't have to. Must be hard going for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Hotblack isn't asking how they justify it; he's asking how they manage to do it in the first place.

(Far be it from me to suggest that Hotblack doesn't have quite the same success rate in getting large numbers of young [wo]men into his (her?) bed, and that his (her?) enquiry reflects a teeny degree of envy. But the conjecture does occur to me. I certainly wouldn't be knocking back tips on technique from any source, if they have been demonstrated to work.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Hotblack isn't asking how they justify it; he's asking how they manage to do it in the first place.

(Far be it from me to suggest that Hotblack doesn't have quite the same success rate in getting large numbers of young [wo]men into his (her?) bed, and that his (her?) enquiry reflects a teeny degree of envy. But the conjecture does occur to me. I certainly wouldn't be knocking back tips on technique from any source, if they have been demonstrated to work.)

Sure fire tip then, Peregrinus, start your own religion. That always works. Or failing that, become a religious leader in an established religion - not quite as easy to manipulate the rules just exactly how you want them, but on the plus side, there's all that accumulated trust and built up reputation to exploit.

Of course both methods have been used by abusers so many times before that you'd think everyone would be wise to it by now - but amazingly, it appears not.
    Hell, on the other thread we even have people defending a religious booklet that teaches 6 year olds that even though Mary was afraid of what the Angel wanted when the Angel came into her room at night and told her he had a big secret just for her, luckily she said yes anyway!

volchitsa wrote: »
    Sure fire tip then, Peregrinus, start your own religion. That always works.

Of course to establish a religion one would need to be a very convincing liar devoid of any scruples whatsoever... qualities which would in themselves assist in the PUA department...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Of course to establish a religion one would need to be a very convincing liar devoid of any scruples whatsoever... qualities which would in themselves assist in the PUA department...

Yeah, but I gather the difference is one of scale. The mere PUA moves up to a different level of "scoring" when he creates his own religion/becomes a guru of some sort. Like the small time burglar compared to a mafia don. :cool:

Now that I think of it, the PUA community seems very similar to cults like Scientology. :eek:

I can't believe this sneaked under the radar: Keith Mills has joined Fianna Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I can't believe this sneaked under the radar: Keith Mills has joined Fianna Fail.

Wow. One of the most unpopular people in the country joined one of the most unpopular political parties. Best I see him doing is one term in the senate before realising he's not getting himself enough attention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Is he the gay guy that decided no gay people should be allowed to get married because he doesnt want to?

Is he the gay guy that decided no gay people should be allowed to get married because he doesnt want to?

Yep, https://twitter.com/KeithM

Seems to also like views of Cora Sherlock also, its clear his new bandwagon to support is in relation to not repealing the 8th.
    Scarily he's also a fan of the witch thats now dead - https://twitter.com/KeithM/status/653848708254167040

He also has no problem with FF having so many male TD's - https://twitter.com/KeithM/status/647374866669285376
    They do have ALOT of men in the party
    90393467.jpg

This seems fitting:

BlVm86aCMAAavun.jpg

http://www.thejournal.ie/seanad-same-sex-marriage-bill-2404206-Oct2015/
    SUSTAINED APPLAUSE BROKE out in the Seanad this afternoon as the bill giving effect to May’s same-sex marriage referendum was passed.

The Marriage Bill 2015 passed its final stages in the upper house just before 3pm this afternoon.

The chamber broke into applause with Health Minister Leo Varadkar and government backbench TDs John Lyons, and Jerry Buttimer watching on from the press gallery.

Independent Senator Ronan Mullen noted afterwards that he had not agreed to the bill’s passage. Seanad chair Jillian van Turnhout said she did not hear him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Poor Rónán, nobody's looking after his needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Looking at the proposed amendments from the Seanad, Ronan Mullen is still doing his best to defend the rights of the religious solemnisers. He has proposed an amendment just to make it really, really, clear that if they say "husband and wife" during a religious ceremony instead of "spouse and spouse" that the marriage will still be valid.

Even though the wording is perfectly clear that anyone is free to use the words "husband", "wife" or "spouse" as they see fit in making their declaration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

seamus wrote: »
    Looking at the proposed amendments from the Seanad, Ronan Mullen is still doing his best to defend the rights of the religious solemnisers. He has proposed an amendment just to make it really, really, clear that if they say "husband and wife" during a religious ceremony instead of "spouse and spouse" that the marriage will still be valid.

Even though the wording is perfectly clear that anyone is free to use the words "husband", "wife" or "spouse" as they see fit in making their declaration.

There's genuinely something quite sweet about that that I can't quite put my finger on. It's so naive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Poor Rónán, nobody's looking after his needs.
    Would he be as far as feeling persecuted?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Mills seems to want to be the object of people's hate. Freud would probably have had a name for the condition the poor guy is afflicted with.

Advertisement