Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Viking Marathon 2015

Options
  • 24-05-2015 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

http://www.waterfordvikingmarathon.com

Don't see a thread for this one for 2015 here.
    Coming up soon. Anyone doing it. There are quarter, half and full options. It's a good one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

mrkdips wrote: »
    http://www.waterfordvikingmarathon.com

Don't see a thread for this one for 2015 here.
    Coming up soon. Anyone doing it. There are quarter, half and full options. It's a good one

Yeah, they offer a range of distances. Very popular with first time sub 3 runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭babalobioddy

Just signed up, Hoping for sub 3 but it might be a little out of reach. is there a sub 3 pacer ?
    Have done this twice before, great course not many hills. Best finish to a marathon I've experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭KingMambo26

I did it last year. Great race and one of the few where you can get a massage at the end! Finding the bus back into town was a bit of a pain since it was hidden at the top of the road behind the petrol station without any signage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭webpal

Signed up for the half today, would love to do the full one, maybe next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

I did it last year. Great race and one of the few where you can get a massage at the end! Finding the bus back into town was a bit of a pain since it was hidden at the top of the road behind the petrol station without any signage.

That's arguable. I've done it the last 2 years and in that time, The half marathon and marathon was 400m long the first year and the marathon was short last year.

The first year I done it on top of the course being long, a tractor was let onto the road in front of me and I couldn't pass it until it turned off a mile later.

The congestion for the last mile was ridiculous for the half marathon runners last year as we ran into the back of the quarter marathon walkers who wouldn't move and I had to stop completely at times.

The race has been a general pain in the ass for me everytime and I don't know why but I'm going to give it one last chance this time and do the half.

• Advertisement

That's arguable. I've done it the last 2 years and in that time, The half marathon and marathon was 400m long the first year and the marathon was short last year.

The first year I done it on top of the course being long, a tractor was let onto the road in front of me and I couldn't pass it until it turned off a mile later.

The congestion for the last mile was ridiculous for the half marathon runners last year as we ran into the back of the quarter marathon walkers who wouldn't move and I had to stop completely at times.

The race has been a general pain in the ass for me everytime and I don't know why but I'm going to give it one last chance this time and do the half.

Jeeeez, any one of those problems on their own would be enough. But all 3. I've just been offered an entry to Saturday's Lux marathon. Bollicks, I've only one long run done and that was yesterday. And it was slow and unimpressive. Better start tapering. At least I won't have tractors to worry about.

Itziger wrote: »
    Jeeeez, any one of those problems on their own would be enough. But all 3. I've just been offered an entry to Saturday's Lux marathon. Bollicks, I've only one long run done and that was yesterday. And it was slow and unimpressive. Better start tapering. At least I won't have tractors to worry about.

Tbf, the tractor was a small thing but annoying and only happened to a few of us and I probably shouldn't blame the organisers for that.

The thing is, the race has great potential if they can just get the distance right. The finish is brilliant and the course is pretty flat and fast. The new half course last year was much better in my opinion and a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Getting the distance wrong not once but twice is simply inexcusable.

I've done this marathon a couple of times but unlikely to do it again.

No positives outweigh an inaccurate course.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

I did it last year.
    My best advice is to refer you to last years thread, and to read it, but it's probably too late for you to make an informed decision based on that.

Best of luck.

Surely this year.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Your only gripe from last year was about the bus back into town??? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

eliwallach wrote: »
    I did it last year.
    My best advice is to refer you to last years thread, and to read it, but it's probably too late for you to make an informed decision based on that.

Best of luck.

Surely this year.....

I genuinely hoped it would go well for them last year as I thought the race had potential and many positive aspects.

Reading Bahanaman's report last year and my perception of the organisers subsequent comments really highlighted the unacceptability of a short course.

I could live with no t shirt, no medal, no gels etc but an inaccurate course (again)...

TbL

Getting the distance wrong not once but twice is simply inexcusable.

I've done this marathon a couple of times but unlikely to do it again.

No positives outweigh an inaccurate course.

TbL

True TbL and I wasn't standing up for it by any means. It just annoys me that they have an opportunity to make a great race but screw it up by making a balls of the basic things.

I'm forgiving in nature(can't find another half to fit my schedule) so I'm going to give it one more shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Reading Bahanaman's report last year and my perception of the organisers subsequent comments really highlighted the unacceptability of a short course.

I could live with no t shirt, no medal, no gels etc but an inaccurate course (again)...

TbL

I second that. Getting the distance wrong twice in a row is bad enough, but then sending out an email saying how great it was that so many runners ran PBs in the marathon just pissed me off big time. Obviously you'll see a lot of PBs if the course is 500 metres short!

For that email alone I'll give the race a pass this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Race has its faults but I've signed up for the half again - tis just too tempting when the finish is within a few minutes walk of my mum's. And I love finishing on the track! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭webpal

anyone know if gels are available on the half marathon route?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

webpal wrote: »
    anyone know if gels are available on the half marathon route?

http://www.waterfordvikingmarathon.com/Marathon-Route-Map-2015.pdf

Not according to this attachment!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 runner26p2

Anyone from Cork going to this race? I am home from the US and (foolishly) signed up without knowing too much about it. I am a male in my 50's and my best times were too long ago! But I am planning to drive down there if anyone wants a lift.

runner26p2 wrote: »
    Anyone from Cork going to this race? I am home from the US and (foolishly) signed up without knowing too much about it. I am a male in my 50's and my best times were too long ago! But I am planning to drive down there if anyone wants a lift.

Sure you don't fancy the one in Portalington in a couple of weeks time? Bugger to get to. I'll be back in the Old Sod for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 runner26p2

I had thought about Portarlington - but too far away in distance and time. Hope it goes well for you if you run it. Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I will look at it some other year.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Was down on the quay this morning and it looked like the front group of approx 20 runners were not directed to take a left turn up toward city square car park and then around the block before rejoining the quay. All others took it.

Was surprised not to see a steward there

• Advertisement

KevIRL wrote: »
    Was down on the quay this morning and it looked like the front group of approx 20 runners were not directed to take a left turn up toward city square car park and then around the block before rejoining the quay. All others took it.

Here. We. Go. Again.

Waterford Marathon, from 39.67 to 43.23 km. Depending on a variety of things going wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jnk883

I did the 1/4 marathon. I was pacing my wife to break the hour. Things were going great, we were well on for it when by the time we got to the track we had gone over the hour and definitely over the distance. I'm calculating at least 300m. For 1/4 marathon that is big and if so very disappointing. I know for a few other thought the same. Wondering did anyone else notice this for the 1/4. I know it impossible to go off a watch but I know the pace we were going would have got us in under the hour.

The start line is chaotic, too many narrow streets with too many turns to begin with. I this was later in the race you wouldn't mind so much but with the crowds at the start you'd almost have to walk at times.

Every year I hear about this having great potential but it doesn't seem to live up to it. Great work from the volunteers, good crowd out cheering and great finish but the distance never seems to be accurate, i'd worry for this event

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I enjoyed the half marathon except for when a clown of a motorist decided to drive up Pearses park in the middle of all the runners. It did get very humid in stages, was hoping the rain would stay longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Does anyone know when the results are up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

spaceylou wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the results are up?

Already on precision timing

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Bestake

KevIRL wrote: »

Yeah massive stewarding error

I was in a pack behind that front pack and a garda frantically ran towards us directing us left just past the post office on the quay......then we got to the entrance of city square and no steward was on hand to direct us back down to the quay, so we ended up continuing past Alfies, and onto Dunnes before taking a right back down towards Red Square - kind of like a field of cattle running loose.

Saw some lads making an attempt to go up Patrick's Hill towards the Garda station before u-turning.

Then massive confusion again at the end of the Quay....again no steward on hand to show where exactly to u-turn

Very off putting for the first 2 miles or so

I think everything sorted itself out soon after for the later groups, but can't understand how the (some/all?) of lead pack went off course, particularly as there were lead bikes.

The twists and turns at the start don't add much value, and needed heavy stewarding.

The remainder of the race - really enjoyable route, great volunteers and excellent support

Are those times down on previous years? Seems like very few sub 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Finishing on the running track is a great touch, felt like a real runner for a few minutes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Itziger wrote: »
    Are those times down on previous years? Seems like very few sub 3.

It was extremely hot and humid today. Worse the Dublin last year IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

ger664 wrote: »
    It was extremely hot and humid today. Worse the Dublin last year IMO

Not just me then!!!

Advertisement