Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Viking Marathon 2015

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mrkdips

jnk883 wrote: »
    I did the 1/4 marathon........I'm calculating at least 300m.

Yep MapMyRun clocked 10.92km (6.8 miles) at finish line. I tried to keep very much to the shortest route so am disappointed that it wasn't accurate. I know you allow for wide running, water stations etc but 400m is a big difference. Missed my PB because of it

Saying that, I really enjoyed the race. Liked the new routing through the pitch towards the end to cut down on the congestion like last year where half met quarter outside RSC

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good job the official course measurers don't use MapMyRun, is all I can say.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Bestake wrote: »
    Yeah massive stewarding error

I was in a pack behind that front pack and a garda frantically ran towards us directing us left just past the post office on the quay......then we got to the entrance of city square and no steward was on hand to direct us back down to the quay, so we ended up continuing past Alfies, and onto Dunnes before taking a right back down towards Red Square - kind of like a field of cattle running loose.

Saw some lads making an attempt to go up Patrick's Hill towards the Garda station before u-turning.

Then massive confusion again at the end of the Quay....again no steward on hand to show where exactly to u-turn

Very off putting for the first 2 miles or so

I think everything sorted itself out soon after for the later groups, but can't understand how the (some/all?) of lead pack went off course, particularly as there were lead bikes.

The twists and turns at the start don't add much value, and needed heavy stewarding.

The remainder of the race - really enjoyable route, great volunteers and excellent support

From what I saw the lead bike took them off course by continuing straight down the quay instead of turning oFF at ulster bank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Does anyone have any idea why precision timing are not showing chip time as well as gun time? I thought they usually show both and the Viking website suggests that both will be recorded.

spaceylou wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea why precision timing are not showing chip time as well as gun time? I thought they usually show both and the Viking website suggests that both will be recorded.

Never mind if you go into the full results rather than ind result it shows...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

Did the half today. We were just behind the 1.40 pacer and he told us the people in front had gone wrong .we followed him and I think he did follow the right course. Distance wise not sure it made much of a difference to the others but not good to have people go wrong. The start had way too many twists and turns and too few marshals but it worked out fine after that. Tough course, few pulls and drags but great support along it and great music.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

ger664 wrote: »
    It was extremely hot and humid today. Worse the Dublin last year IMO

Absolutely, as bad if not worse on the humidity stakes. Only thing that maybe saved us was that the sun didn't shine too much. Wind didn't help at all, going into Tramore it was holding you back without cooling you down, and coming out, it might have been behind but you were doubly roasting with it.

Was glad to get to the track and over the line in just under 3:20. 2 years in a row in Waterford and still to have an enjoyable run on the course :(.

Suppose it's just the time of year really.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Plodman

Intended doing the full here yesterday but an injury disrupted few weeks beforehand made me decide to do the half instead. I was advised not to run it due to distance issues for the past few years but I thought it couldn't be wrong again. That thought didn't last the first mile. A group of 10-15 runners in front of me went straight down the quay. A guard was frantically running after us directing the field up left. Doubled back only to come to a standstill at next junction when no one could tell us where to go. Groups behind us took a different turn back onto the quay. So within the first mile there were three different courses. Probably ran the next few miles too fast to get back to the group ahead who ran a shorter course. Paid for that in the second half. Very disappointing. Any ideas of ever doing the marathon here are well and truly dispelled. I'll stick to races that can ensure the distance and stewarding is right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Same thing here, went down quay and although there was no steward we knew to go up by city square, when we were going back down conduit lane, we saw runners coming from the right which means they did not go around city square.

One other small point, the abuse we saw stewards getting from motorists at the junction by De La Salle college was digusting, road rage to a high degree and a runner was attacked down the side of the park by one motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Why does marathon appear to be a train wreck every year? Have the organisers learnt nothing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

tang1 wrote: »
    Why does marathon appear to be a train wreck every year? Have the organisers learnt nothing?

It would seem not. This annoys the crap out of me even though I have nothing invested in the race. But people who have seen this first hand need to post on their FB page and/or email the organisers. I can't believe this joke of a race can last much longer.

If I told you about the organisation of the Trier Half in Germany this morning, you'd weep. And, no it's not just because it's Germany. I've done races in Spain and France and Holland as well and none of this nonsense is seen.

Folks, boycott the people who put on crap races. Let em go to the wall. There seem to be plenty of well-organised ones around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

It's cool, it has an AIMs certificate now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭babalobioddy

I did the full on saturday,overall a very enjoyable experience. The distance was good,no longer or shorter than most others. As for any issues at the start surely we cant crucify the organisers for one mistake. To organise a marathon in a large city with pedestrians and motorists along with road closures to deal with has to be a huge task. Bar the one stewarding issue i thought all volunteers and stewards did an excellent job. The organisers cant be held responsible for the weather or motorists who throw a hissy fit. I realy hope this marathon continues. I have no vested intrest,just an average runner. Finished in 3hr17min. Wearing a kilkenny jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

As for any issues at the start surely we cant crucify the organisers for one mistake. To organise a marathon in a large city with pedestrians and motorists along with road closures to deal with has to be a huge task.

A race that is organised correctly should have NO mistakes, the organisers have made a mess of this marathon from its inception. If they cant organise the race properly then dont do it anymore or hand it over to people who are capable of doing it. Reply is not aimed at you OP & i'm glad you enjoyed your race.

Why don't races with zig-zag city sections not use the orange sprayed arrows that I've seen at times (recent Lux marathon had lots of them and I found em quite useful). I believe they're designed to wear away after a few months. That would be an easy task for two on a motor bike. You'd do the whole course in an hour or so. Cheap too!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jnk883

There were white arrows painted on the ground. I remember passing over them in the crowds.

What happened to the lead pack in the end? Did they end up doing shorter than they should or did they backtrack?

jnk883 wrote: »
    There were white arrows painted on the ground. I remember passing over them in the crowds.

What happened to the lead pack in the end? Did they end up doing shorter than they should or did they backtrack?

Maybe at elite speed you don't see these so easily!

There were arrows at a number of points but I don't remember seeing any at that spot on the quay where people seem to have gone off course. Knowing that the start had lots of twists and turns I had driven it the evening before but not everyone has a chance to do that I agree with folks above that there was a need for more stewards in town - most of whom could have been redeployed to reinforce stewards further out on the course before runners got to them.

I love finishing on the track but I wonder is there a way to change the start so the section with so many twists and turns is not also the section where everyone is still very very bunched up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 runner26p2

This was my first time doing this marathon. I have done many others in Europe and in the US and I would compare it favorably. Overall I had a great experience. I thought it was well organized and I think it is a great course. I found stewards and support staff to be very friendly. Living abroad I am used to warmer conditions so I found that it was pleasantly cool :) A few extra sports drinks stations at more regular intervals would help.

I will admit that I was fortunate not to be in the lead pack as that routing issue would be very annoying. I wasn't too far behind so I assume they fixed it quickly. But it would be a pity if fixable issues were to derail what is a good race on a good course. Probably less curves and twists on narrow streets would help a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Bestake

Not sure how the lead pack got back on course....I assume they took a left at the clock tower instead? If so, they are about 100/150 metres out.

I was in the 2nd pack that went past Alfies instead of going right down Conduit lane. Thankfully I think this ''alternative route'' was only 10/20 metres out against the official route.

Perhaps the organisers banked on the lead bikes doing the business for them? There were far too many zig zags in the opening 1.5 miles. A safer alternative would be to go straight down the quay and cut out all these side streets. There is plenty of leeway in other areas to make up the distance.

• Advertisement

runner26p2 wrote: »
    This was my first time doing this marathon. I have done many others in Europe and in the US and I would compare it favorably. Overall I had a great experience. I thought it was well organized and I think it is a great course. I found stewards and support staff to be very friendly. Living abroad I am used to warmer conditions so I found that it was pleasantly cool :) A few extra sports drinks stations at more regular intervals would help.

I will admit that I was fortunate not to be in the lead pack as that routing issue would be very annoying. I wasn't too far behind so I assume they fixed it quickly. But it would be a pity if fixable issues were to derail what is a good race on a good course. Probably less curves and twists on narrow streets would help a lot.

How'd ya get on Runner? (Time!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 runner26p2

Itziger wrote: »
    How'd ya get on Runner? (Time!)

I ran 3:28 - I was happy as I got a good negative split and passed a lot of people from mile 16 onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Bestake wrote: »
    Not sure how the lead pack got back on course....I assume they took a left at the clock tower instead? If so, they are about 100/150 metres out.

I was in the 2nd pack that went past Alfies instead of going right down Conduit lane. Thankfully I think this ''alternative route'' was only 10/20 metres out against the official route.

Perhaps the organisers banked on the lead bikes doing the business for them? There were far too many zig zags in the opening 1.5 miles. A safer alternative would be to go straight down the quay and cut out all these side streets. There is plenty of leeway in other areas to make up the distance.

They done that 2 years ago but the council had set up roadworks and barriers so the race ended up being 400m long. I think everyone's a bit harsh on the organisers for that year as to be fair, if the organisers pay for the road closures, the city council should know better than to go out and start roadworks on the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

They done that 2 years ago but the council had set up roadworks and barriers so the race ended up being 400m long. I think everyone's a bit harsh on the organisers for that year as to be fair, if the organisers pay for the road closures, the city council should know better than to go out and start roadworks on the route.

Surely on the morning of the race there should be a final check?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I also think people are too harsh on the organisers here. It takes a serious amount of work to organise a marathon/half marathon etc. This event is still in its infancy and people should bear that in mind.

I didn't run it this year but I ran the half last year and despite the distance cock up for the full I felt the half was very well organised. It was a hot day last year too but that's no one's fault.

This year Waterford was my backup plan if Cork didn't go well. Lads lets not forget, the Waterford marathon is on a Saturday morning, that is excellent for runners. You won't see many other marathons going thru their city on a Saturday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I also think people are too harsh on the organisers here. It takes a serious amount of work to organise a marathon/half marathon etc. This event is still in its infancy and people should bear that in mind.

I did a first time race this year (Mullingar half) and it was perfectly organised. No surprise it was organised by a running club.

Saying mistakes will happen because an event is new is a cop out. This race is in it's 3rd year though, it's hardly in it's infancy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Plodman

I don't disagree that on the whole it was pretty well organized but it is still very disappointing to be directed wrong within the first mile. Since there were issues for the past two years it is not too much to expect that the route should be adequately marshaled expecially within the city where there were many twists and turns.

Before people start talking about volunteers giving of their time etc: I am a member of an athletics club and I know how difficult it can be to get volunteers etc. This however is not a race organized by a club; it is a commercial race which does not directly support athlete development. Therefore the criticism leveled at it is justified. In my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Plodman wrote: »

This however is not a race organized by a club; it is a commercial race which does not directly support athlete development. Therefore the criticism leveled at it is justified. In my opinion

ah, I thought Waterford AC or some other athletic body was involved in organising this, OK well perhaps I retract some of my defense of this event now...oops :o

Advertisement