Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Upgrade - Mostly Gaming

Options
  • 24-05-2015 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

Bought GTA V at the weekend and realized my computer is not the beast it once was so I'm thinking of upgrading a bit. Just wondering what I'd need to upgrade to get it smooth (60fps around) at max settings. Main components are below. Any other info needed just ask. Thanks

Current Specs

Intel Core i5-2500K
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W
    Sapphire HD 7870 OC 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What's your budget? Coming from a 7870 the logical upgrade would be an R9 290 or a GTX970.

Also, overclock your CPU if you're not already, it's still perfectly good but requires overclocking to get the most out of it, at stock it'll somewhat show it's age in some titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I've the same spec as you apart from gpu I've a gtx 770 its playing anything I have thrown at it so far at 50 to 60 fps on pretty high to max settings. If you have budget as was said above the 290 or 970 would be the business if not you can get second hand gtx 770 for under 200 or a r9 280x but it is mostly your current gpu that's holding you back.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Thomasheen

Budget doesn't really matter, I can save for a few weeks if I have to to get something decent. I never overclocked the cpu either because I only have the stock cooler that came with it and I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing when it comes to that stuff.

Are any particular brands of GPU different like say a 970 from Msi compared to a 970 fromevga? Is there a superior brand or just different manufactures?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Can do a small over clock on the stock cooler. Fairly sue serephucus has a tutorial here, heaps hanging around the imterrnet anyways.

R9 290 is about 300 new, 970 is about 350

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

id say save for vga and psu since 500w is on a low side a bit,and if im correct amd likes more power then nvidia.

As for vga if buying msi they usually have better fans/rads on them also are factory OCed and have software to push it little more.might cost a bit more,but for last 5y owning msi vga and other components,say msi claims on some cards to run 20c cooler which is basically true,and also uses better caps and heat-sinks etc.Also ssd would be a good boost in general.

but all this said its up to you since when it comes to upgrades choices are limited to ones pocket and how far they want to push it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A 550w is more than enough for a GTX970 or R9 290. A GTX970 system often won't pull more than about 300w.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Thomasheen

So an msi gtx 970 would be the best fit? They're €365 on hardwareversand so not too bad. I have a 128gb ssd and a 4tb hdd already the graphics card is the only upgrade I need I think

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

As was said previously, you should look into overclocking that CPU to get the best out of it. But then again just get the GPU and if games still are not up to par look into getting a CPU cooler and overclocking. As it is still a good CPU when overclocked at stock it may be showing it's age or it may not, I don't know as I don't have that CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/288?vs=1261
    If you want to see why we are suggesting the GPU upgrade and not the CPU, check the link above for benchmarks on your CPU versus the next upgrade (Ignore the processor graphics section. You aren't using integrated graphics). Below is the GPU upgrade.
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1034?vs=1355

The difference is pretty damn big for the GPU and only a relatively minor bump for the CPU. You probably don't even need to overclock the CPU, there might even be a motherboard utility to give it a small bump in speed without needing more than the stock cooler (though a good cooler is always a decent investment).

Advertisement