Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yorkie Puppy

• 24-05-2015 2:02pm

Hello all!
    So I'll be getting a yorkie puppy in a few months and I'm super excited! However, I've never had a small dog before. I have loads of experience with dogs. I have a husky/lab mix myself and I'm from a real dog loving family. I grew up with more dogs around than people (and there was a lot of people!) But typically our dogs were large breeds like German shepherds, Doberman, greyhounds etc. The smallest being a cocker spaniel my parents now dote on.
    I want to be really prepared so I suppose I'm just looking for some advice from the yorkie lovers out there who have the knowledge and experience to pass on!
    Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Hello all!
    So I'll be getting a yorkie puppy in a few months and I'm super excited! However, I've never had a small dog before. I have loads of experience with dogs. I have a husky/lab mix myself and I'm from a real dog loving family. I grew up with more dogs around than people (and there was a lot of people!) But typically our dogs were large breeds like German shepherds, Doberman, greyhounds etc. The smallest being a cocker spaniel my parents now dote on.
    I want to be really prepared so I suppose I'm just looking for some advice from the yorkie lovers out there who have the knowledge and experience to pass on!
    Thanks everyone!

The one thing I do know is that you should never be fooled by their exercise needs. Like most small dogs, they get very, VERY vocal if left inadequately exercised, and are one of the more common breeds for doing laps of gardens while yapping (and people seem to think that they are walking themselves no problem while out there!).
    You're probably clued into this, but don't take the pup if they are claiming to be teacup or anything like that.
    Also, not sure when the last time was that you dealt with a puppy, but don't forget the incessant nipping (Yorkies can reach less, so prepare for sore ankles :p ).

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    You're probably clued into this, but don't take the pup if they are claiming to be teacup or anything like that.
    Also, not sure when the last time was that you dealt with a puppy, but don't forget the incessant nipping (Yorkies can reach less, so prepare for sore ankles :p ).

Thanks ShaShaBear. Tbh I don't know what size yorkie it is. I'm getting her from a very reputable rescue, one we all know but I don't think I can say names here. They took on a pregnant yorkie and because I have been dreaming of one for quite some time (but didn't want to go the breeder route) I offered immediately to take a pup (the mum had lined up a home). I never thought to ask what size. The mum didn't look particularly small but it's a very zoomed in pic tbf. On the size thing.. Do yorkies need coats in winter? Are they particularly susceptible to cold? She will be sleeping indoors and indoor most of the day but when we're out and about?
    She'll get plenty of exercise because my lab/husky needs lots!
    Its a long time since I dealt with a puppy under 6months! Not looking forward to the nipping now that you mention it! Haha. What's the best tried and tested method for the little fellas? Give a yelp? Redirect with a toy. I use the stuffed Kong's a lot for my girl. Is there any small enough for a yorkie?
    Sorry about the length and all the questions but really a little dog is a whole new world for me. But to be clear I'm REALLY looking forward to it. Could just burst with excitement! :D

Thanks ShaShaBear. Tbh I don't know what size yorkie it is. I'm getting her from a very reputable rescue, one we all know but I don't think I can say names here. They took on a pregnant yorkie and because I have been dreaming of one for quite some time (but didn't want to go the breeder route) I offered immediately to take a pup (the mum had lined up a home). I never thought to ask what size. The mum didn't look particularly small but it's a very zoomed in pic tbf. On the size thing.. Do yorkies need coats in winter? Are they particularly susceptible to cold? She will be sleeping indoors and indoor most of the day but when we're out and about?
    She'll get plenty of exercise because my lab/husky needs lots!
    Its a long time since I dealt with a puppy under 6months! Not looking forward to the nipping now that you mention it! Haha. What's the best tried and tested method for the little fellas? Give a yelp? Redirect with a toy. I use the stuffed Kong's a lot for my girl. Is there any small enough for a yorkie?
    Sorry about the length and all the questions but really a little dog is a whole new world for me. But to be clear I'm REALLY looking forward to it. Could just burst with excitement! :D

Oh, apologies - if its from a rescue, I wouldn't worry. Mini/teacup is a term regularly attached to yorkies by breeders (that are less than reputable) to suggest they are a special version of the breed (they are not). But if it's from a rescue and a cross of a yorkie, it could literally be any size :D I've seen yorkies the size of chihuahuas and some the size of a robust jack russel!

You're well clued in on the teething redirection, I see :o Best to give a good yelp and totally remove yourself from their presence, like walk away or even leave the room for 30 seconds. Just like a toddler time-out, they quickly learn that biting makes you go away and ends the play time! There are Kongs no bigger than your thumb, so should be no issue getting one for the pup! They even have a puppy range if memory serves me!

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    There are Kongs no bigger than your thumb, so should be no issue getting one for the pup! They even have a puppy range if memory serves me!

Omg just googled it. No idea they had such a range. Theres teeny little ones. They're so cute! Gonna buy one online now! I just find them unreal for keeping my dog amused if she's bored or if I have to pop out for a bit.

Omg just googled it. No idea they had such a range. Theres teeny little ones. They're so cute! Gonna buy one online now! I just find them unreal for keeping my dog amused if she's bored or if I have to pop out for a bit.

I've only ever bought the big ones, but I saw a small one in the vets the other day and almost died it was so cute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I have two yorkies, female is 7 and we have her since a pup. Male is around 11 and we got him when he was around 6 from the pound. Their personalities are very different, female is a little livewire whereas the make is much more chilled out but both do love their walks. The male can't go as long any more, brought them to the cliffs last summer in Clare and had to carry him a lot of the time! But still loves to get out. They're a great breed, love them. Big personalities for a small dog.

We get cat toys as well, better size than a lot of dog ones!

toadfly wrote: »
    We get cat toys as well, better size than a lot of dog ones!

^^that's a great idea!
    On the exercise thing.. How much do they actually need? My husky/lab gets a short walk in the mornings and then another in the evening for about an hour. Bit more on weekends. I know it doesn't seem like a lot for a husky/lab mix but she has a lung issue and so that's all she wants/is able for most days. We always change up where we walk her for the mental stimulation and if she's doing well we go for longer some days. Is that enough/too much for a little yorkie?

^^that's a great idea!
    On the exercise thing.. How much do they actually need? My husky/lab gets a short walk in the mornings and then another in the evening for about an hour. Bit more on weekends. I know it doesn't seem like a lot for a husky/lab mix but she has a lung issue and so that's all she wants/is able for most days. We always change up where we walk her for the mental stimulation and if she's doing well we go for longer some days. Is that enough/too much for a little yorkie?

It will be while they are a pup, the general rule I think is a few minutes per month of age until they are fully grown. But when the pup is older I don't think that would be overly much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭kaz_corcoran

Yay Yorkie!
    WRT the winter coat, I'd say yes get one just in case. And get them used to wearing it as soon as possible. Any time I ever put any clothes on my Rusty, he'd just freeze and refuse to move a muscle until it we took it off him. But then he'd refuse to go anywhere in the rain.
    We got our latest yorkie pup Toby wearing the cutest hoodie soon after we got him, and he loves it - runs to you when he sees it. I actually got it quite cheap in the Banana Tree in Stephens Green SC if you want to try there.
    Good luck with your new puppy!

Yay Yorkie

I know right!! :D
    WRT the winter coat, I'd say yes get one just in case. And get them used to wearing it as soon as possible. Any time I ever put any clothes on my Rusty, he'd just freeze and refuse to move a muscle until it we took it off him. But then he'd refuse to go anywhere in the rain.
    We got our latest yorkie pup Toby wearing the cutest hoodie soon after we got him, and he loves it - runs to you when he sees it. I actually got it quite cheap in the Banana Tree in Stephens Green SC if you want to try there.
    Good luck with your new puppy!

I've never been one for dressing up dogs (I'm enough of a shopaholic without factoring in dog clothes too!) But I do have a lovely fleece lined waterproof coat for my dog. Don't like her to get cold and wet in winter with her bad lungs! So I was curious would a little yorkie need a little jacket too for the cold. (Matching me thinks!) But now, after your post, I haaad to Google yorkies in hoodies! Well...Cuteness overload! ... I'm off to the pet shop!

• Advertisement
Advertisement