Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTSB Contactless Debit Card Purchase

Options
  • 24-05-2015 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭

Made a purchase in local shop yesterday but nothing is showing up in the 'pending transactions' part of my account details.
    This was my first time using Contactless payment option. Does it normally take longer to register ? Normally pending transactions appear almost instantly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Just noticed this on PTSB site. Question answered.

Please note that Contactless transactions may not appear immediately in your pending transactions on Open24 Online and Phone Banking or be debited immediately from your account. It's therefore important you keep track of your Contactless usage to ensure you don’t go overdrawn on your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

The contact less transactions are processed offline so your balance in your current account is not checked. The transaction does not happen in realtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Yeah I used to fall into this trap all the time, only rememebering the crap I bought two days later when it came out :D. I try to use Chip and PIN again now because its easier to track my spending in real time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Yeah I used to fall into this trap all the time, only rememebering the crap I bought two days later when it came out :D. I try to use Chip and PIN again now because its easier to track my spending in real time.

AIB seems to be the same, A contactless purchase an hour ago and another last night have not appeared as pending yet.

Not sure about PTSB, but with AIB, contactless txns are free, but Chip & Pin have a fee, unless you have free banking.

AIB seems to be the same, A contactless purchase an hour ago and another last night have not appeared as pending yet.

Not sure about PTSB, but with AIB, contactless txns are free, but Chip & Pin have a fee, unless you have free banking.

While a transaction from Thursday has not yet appeared online, a "normal" transaction from Friday in the same store now shows as pending.

• Advertisement

- AIB are no longer free!

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - AIB are no longer free!

Thanks for the reminder, the fee waiver expired last Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Fireblade77

The problem I have with the whole thing is , it only €15 !!!!!
    In the UK it's £30

The problem I have with the whole thing is , it only €15 !!!!!
    In the UK it's £30

- I agree it needs to go higher.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - I agree it needs to go higher.

It's going up in October to €30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

It's going up in October to €30.

Still waiting to get mine :-(

josephsoap wrote: »
    Still waiting to get mine :-(

- So am I -could be the end of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What is the point? Unless the transactions are cheaper, of course. It's not like typing in a four-digit PIN is difficult. And if a place is so dodgy that I didn't want to type in my PIN there, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be doing contactless there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

What is the point? Unless the transactions are cheaper, of course. It's not like typing in a four-digit PIN is difficult.
    the whole point is to make the transaction quick to do.

people fiddling around with money/pins slows the queue for all involved. so by making the payment a quick swipe you & the rest of the queue win.

Its capped at 15eur to reduce fraud.

Having said that, with charges per transaction people are either (regular) users or not.

Me -i'm not. Why pay for the privilege of paying per transaction?
    Also there are quite a few security issues with these cards that aren't properly addressed or advertised by card issuers (surprisingly enough).

Advertisement