Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Training to "Climb" Croagh Patrick

• 24-05-2015 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've spent some time researching this and there is very little info on training to climb a small to medium size mountain.

Any help on possible training plans would be greatly appreciated.

Baring in mind I am EXTREMELY unfit. I will need baby steps for the start.

I'm 20 stone :eek: and need to do something NOW!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Caroline150

Best training is to get out and just climb it!

If you only make it up half way then no worries! Just try and beat it next time! It is tough but definitely doable at any fitness level - it will take some determination when you are actually climbing it though!

Last time I climbed it I passed a crying child asking his Dad why they were climbing the mountain. He just couldnt understand why anyone would put themselves through the pain! Inside I agreed with him at the time but when I got to the top I remembered why!

If you are eager to train before hand the main thing is going to be a basic level of fitness so I would start doing some walks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭gazahayes

AthAnRi wrote: »
    Hi,

I've spent some time researching this and there is very little info on training to climb a small to medium size mountain.

Any help on possible training plans would be greatly appreciated.

Baring in mind I am EXTREMELY unfit. I will need baby steps for the start.

I'm 20 stone :eek: and need to do something NOW!!!
    The main thing is be carefull coming back down its hard on the knees

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭koriko

Have climbed this mountain a few time and there's something very special and therapeutic about climbing it. The first half is grand, mildly loose moulder rocks but it's totally managable at all fitness levels I think. From there up until 3/4 ways up it gets slightly harder with looser rocks and you may notice it in the air. Again totally managable for all fitness levels- just take it at your own pace! I've seen people stopping and this point and still being there on my way back down, tends to be a chill out part of the mountain where great banter happens. You will need plenty of laughs and jokes ands banter then for the last bit of the climb. Stick will be very handy for the loose rocks aswel here. You will find it the hardest part of the climb but perfectly managable at all fitness levels- may I suggest a good pair of boots, not runners! Also lots of layers of clothes and snacks/drinks- a stick is essential also, you can rent one for 2euro from the guy at the bottom! It's so worth doing and on a sunny clear day it's amazing with the views. Careful on the descend as it's easy to slip on the loose rocks- not if u take ur time. I think if u are unfit like u say you CAN climb it, it's perfectly managable, it just will take u longer :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Where do you live?

Best bet is to start small and work your way up. If you have a hilly route you can walk start with that. When that gets comfortable start walking on something a bit steeper. Keep working it up and tackle smaller "mountains" like bray head, howth head and the sugar loaf (this is me totally assuming youre in dublin, appologies if not). Key is to get used to having hilly terrain under foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Where do you live?

Best bet is to start small and work your way up. If you have a hilly route you can walk start with that. When that gets comfortable start walking on something a bit steeper. Keep working it up and tackle smaller "mountains" like bray head, howth head and the sugar loaf (this is me totally assuming youre in dublin, appologies if not). Key is to get used to having hilly terrain under foot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Dont climb it from the Murrisk side....go around to where the Mayo Mountain Rescue prefabs are (on the south side of the mountain) and climb it from there...its a few hundred feet higher than Murrisk and far less rocky....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

No offence to op but fitness level probably isn't the biggest issue. Id say trying to get 20 stone up that hill will be tough. Take the advice and get out walking and try a few hill walks. Best of luck with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I climb/walk up similar enough hills a decent bit and this year I've done it with a family member that's recovering from major surgery.
    It's like the game snakes and ladders, you don't start on square 100. You will need to build up leg strength. In my case I've zero fitness and can climb no problem but my family member has better cardiovascular than me yet found hill walking hard going due to a lack of leg strength.
    As a previous poster said, start off on smaller hills and work your way up from there

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Mackdublin

I would say, DON'T just land up to it and try and give it a go. Chances of not reaching the summit are very high doing this..
    I climbed it just a couple of months ago.
    My advice with be similar to some other posts.
    If you plan to get up and down it is going to take you about 3 hrs, maybe more (based on your current fitness).
    Therefore, start by getting out on regular walks, roads are parks where your walking for at least an hour (build up to this if you need to). Start getting mileage into your legs.
    Introduce hilly walks into your routine. Identify some hilly areas close to where you are and start giving them a go.
    If you have a bike, get out on it for a bit of variety and again look for hilly (doesn't have to be Everest) areas to cycle.
    Get to a point where you doing these activities about 3 times a week and that one of those walks is on good hilly ground.
    If you are in Dublin, good examples would be the Hell Fire Club, Killiney Hill etc. You could progress to further afield such as the Sugarloaf, on to Djouce etc.
    If you are doing the above for I'd say a good 6 weeks, I think it would give you a good shot at Croagh Patrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Thanks all for all the helpful advice. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 emmaquirke

Hi, just wondering did you get to climb it and how did you find it? Thanks! :)

Advertisement