Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

El cheapo 12V winch

Options
  • 24-05-2015 3:26pm

Anyone know where I could pick up 2 x 25kg 12V winches. They have to be a matching pair.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Anyone know where I could pick up 2 x 25kg 12V winches. They have to be a matching pair.

How much cable do you need a couple of decent car window winders maybe. If the winches are to be inline you could use a length of tubing as the pulley for both and drive it with a single larger winch body.

Don't fancy bodgineering it really, only have a week to get it right and it has to be small and neat. Making a 4 post bed lifting system for a friend. Also want an automatic brake. Yeah thought of window motors with a socketed crank onto a manual winder...bit untidy.
    Any idea what their lifting torque is off the top of your head?
    Longest run probably 6m.
    Two hoists with the same gear ratio would be easiest: underslung from the bed with the hook the other end I'm thinking.
    One hoist could do the lot if I get the spreader and pulleys right and there's enough wind out space.
    I might have found something suitable but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Nevermind, budget constraints.
    We're going for a Weetabix powered analogue system. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Nevermind, budget constraints.
    We're going for a Weetabix powered analogue system. :(

The weetabix version is less likely to break down than the chinese stuff a bit of braided boat rope and boat pulleys/blocks can look quite tasty too.

Re: window motors the newer ones are mostly pants with plastic gearing but the old scissor types were capable of fracturing fingers and inflicting serious crush injuries should be more than capable of 25kg.

Mine is a Weetabix system and it's 35kg before friction. I get the guests to help.
    That winch I posted had an automatic brake and a manual winder for emergencies looked better than the competition. No matter anyways...K.I.S.S.

Plastic gears...fume.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement