Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord selling, given 16 weeks notice, can we leave straight away?

Options
  • 24-05-2015 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Our landlord notified us yesterday that they will be selling and gave us our 16 week notice. I mentioned during the conversation if we would be ok to leave if we found somewhere else before the 16 weeks is up and she said yes.

However we have the opportunity to live rent free for a few months and we'd like to leave before the end of this month so we don't have to pay another months rent.

Are we allowed to do this? Legally speaking I mean. Are we supposed to give some kind of notice or can we leave immediately?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi,

Our landlord notified us yesterday that they will be selling and gave us our 16 week notice. I mentioned during the conversation if we would be ok to leave if we found somewhere else before the 16 weeks is up and she said yes.

However we have the opportunity to live rent free for a few months and we'd like to leave before the end of this month so we don't have to pay another months rent.

Are we allowed to do this? Legally speaking I mean. Are we supposed to give some kind of notice or can we leave immediately?

If LL agrees go ahead but quite possible they will want to be paid for time over you are there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If LL agrees go ahead but quite possible they will want to be paid for time over you are there.

Punisher is right.
    You can give your requisite notice, if you so wish- or leave in a shorter period of time- if the landlord is in agreement- however, you can't just leave tomorrow- unless the landlord is in agreement.........

Advertisement