Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West Ham part company with Sam Allardyce

• 24-05-2015 5:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭

Just seen it on the yellow ticker. No surprise really seems to have been talked about all season.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

They're more than welcome to John Carver....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

I don't understand why they couldn't have waited till Monday morning,something about that doesn't sit right with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

He's talking on Sky now like it was his decision, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Bret Hart wrote: »
    I don't understand why they couldn't have waited till Monday morning,something about that doesn't sit right with me.

Very undignified by West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

He has done a very good job there overall and his record indicates he's a decent manager who will surpass expectations at certain clubs.

Got West Ham back up at the first attempt and though he has spent an average of around £25m each season, he has finished 10th, 13th and 12th in his 3 seasons with them in the Premier League with the 13th highest wage bill which is slightly overachieving.

It seemed pretty obvious from the outside that he was gone at the end of the season so no real surprise that everyone concerned packed up for the season when they were miles safe at the new year.

It doesn't appear many, if any Premier League club who would take him will be looking for a new manager this offseason, but I could see him taking a little bit of time off now and being the top choice for one of the bottom half clubs when they inevitably sack their manager (more often than not rightly so) pre-Christmas and having a similar impact with one of those clubs as Pulis has had coming into that kind of situation at Palace and West Brom the last couple of seasons.

I'd certainly take him at Sunderland if Advocaat goes, but I can't see him working under a Director of Football model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Rodgers might well end up there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Rodgers might well end up there

Rodgers to West Ham, Sam to liverpool.

Though I see Di Matteo got sacked too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Brendan Rodgers would be a good replacement, time looks up for him at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

It's gonna be Redknapp :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

rob316 wrote: »
    Brendan Rodgers would be a good replacement, time looks up for him at Liverpool.

He'll be given another season I, would say. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Seemed as if it was inevitable and so no surprise but announcing it straight after the game is a bit classless/petty from the club, looking from the outside in anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Nothing wrong with what WHU did. Sam was going to confirm it immediately after the match in the press conference anyway as he is off on hols tomorrow and wanted it all done with. So they had no choice but to do it once the match ended also. Not like it was a surprise anyway so why delay it.

Sam making out is was his decision....:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

He never seemed to be very popular with the fans.One of the lads in work is a massive West Ham fan (from that part of London) and he never liked him and wanted him gone ages ago. Didn't like the style of play and he said that West Ham fans in general want to watch nice football as much as being successful.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Style of football? The West Ham way is load of bull****. I think he did good and given a couple of more seasons may have been looking at Europe. I think football fans in general need to stop being delusional, West Ham in my memory only finished in the top ten a handfull of times in the last twenty years. I can only remember two European campaigns, one off the back of going through via the inter Toto cup and the other through qualifying as FA cup runners up. A serious lack of patience.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Rodgers to West Ham, Sam to liverpool.

Though I see Di Matteo got sacked too

Sam would be a good fit for Liverpool.

Headshot wrote: »
    Sam would be a good fit for Liverpool.

He could take Kevin Nolan with him as ready made replacement for Steven Gerrard :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ludo wrote: »
    He could take Kevin Nolan with him as ready made replacement for Steven Gerrard :D

I think Kevin would want a bigger challenge than Liverpool. He deservers CL soccer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Style of football? The West Ham way is load of bull****. I think he did good and given a couple of more seasons may have been looking at Europe. I think football fans in general need to stop being delusional, West Ham in my memory only finished in the top ten a handfull of times in the last twenty years. I can only remember two European campaigns, one off the back of going through via the inter Toto cup and the other through qualifying as FA cup runners up. A serious lack of patience.

Is the style of play argument bull though.West Ham are never going to win anything so if fans are going to fork out money to watch a mid table side who are just existing rather than really competing they might as well have a nice style of play to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Headshot wrote: »
    I think Kevin would want a bigger challenge than Liverpool. He deservers CL soccer

Real Madrid may have an opening.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Oh dear oh dear, West Ham execs have made a mess of this according to the media reports....

Benitez had verbally agreed to take over last week but Real have come in for him now and therefore he is 'unavailable' to West Ham

Best laid plans and all that! Awful mess. Big Sam not everyones cup of tea but he did well with a squad that might have been in the relegation mess very easily.

Fair enough to change minds and want rid of him but have a bit of class lads!

Hope Sam moves on with his head held high

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Didn't have them playing "the West Ham way". Which was obviously massively successful before he came to the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

kenco wrote: »
    Oh dear oh dear, West Ham execs have made a mess of this according to the media reports....

Benitez had verbally agreed to take over last week but Real have come in for him now and therefore he is 'unavailable' to West Ham

Best laid plans and all that! Awful mess. Big Sam not everyones cup of tea but he did well with a squad that might have been in the relegation mess very easily.

Fair enough to change minds and want rid of him but have a bit of class lads!

Hope Sam moves on with his head held high
    Also; people are wondering if Sam was "sacked" at HT;
    http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/did-west-ham-sack-sam-allardyce-at-halftime-article-on-website-appears-to-suggest-they-did--gy141Lrtbb

If I was being honest, I would like to think that their line about the clock on their site is true. Would they be that careless as to actually give him the elbow at HT in a match, and then be careless about releasing the information on their own site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

blueser wrote: »
    Also; people are wondering if Sam was "sacked" at HT;
    http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/did-west-ham-sack-sam-allardyce-at-halftime-article-on-website-appears-to-suggest-they-did--gy141Lrtbb

If I was being honest, I would like to think that their line about the clock on their site is true. Would they be that careless as to actually give him the elbow at HT in a match, and then be careless about releasing the information on their own site?

I would make a reference to 'clowns' but that would be extremely unfair to compare the 'powers' at West Ham to the aforementioned....dont think any decent manager worth their salt would touch that club with a barge pole. Still Dave O'Leary is always ready to make his comeback....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

kenco wrote: »
    I would make a reference to 'clowns' but that would be extremely unfair to compare the 'powers' at West Ham to the aforementioned....dont think any decent manager worth their salt would touch that club with a barge pole. Still Dave O'Leary is always ready to make his comeback....
    I bet Curbishley would pull your arms out of their sockets if you offered him that job. Ex hammer, and all that. Don't think he'll get it, mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

I think football fans in general have short memories ihe is quite successful n comparison to the days of Avram Grant and Zola. Could be a case of being careful what you wish for.

Similarities between Allardyce and hodgsons reign at Pool they were never accepted by the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

West Ham as a club and it's fans always get carried away with how big the club is.

Allardyce was never going to last there due to this belief that they get of expecting to be more successful than they allow themselves to be.

Big Sam will find another job and move another team forward. I'd love if he went back to Blackburn but that will never happen unfortunately. There has been rumours circulating for a couple of months that he has been offered a lot of money to take the Fulham job.

I'd imagine he would love to go back to Bolton now but I'd imagine Neil Lennon will get at least another year there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

pavb2 wrote: »
    I think football fans in general have short memories ihe is quite successful n comparison to the days of Avram Grant and Zola. Could be a case of being careful what you wish for.

Similarities between Allardyce and hodgsons reign at Pool they were never accepted by the fans.

Hammers fans seem to want their teams to play like Ajax or Barcelona. Deluded really.

In terms of a new appointment, maybe 'Arry will take over for one last hurrah?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I hate this attitude where clubs should just be happy with what they are and never aspire to anything.

Allardyce was good for stabilising a club in turmoil, he did a good job there but if he and the club don't want to continue there is nothing to be done about it.

Also, his stubbornness in playing the likes of Nolan cost him a lot of respect among the fans. From playing great football to relegation material in one season would cost a lot of managers their job.

And if a club like West Ham want to improve, especially now with the move to the OS coming up then the likes of Allardyce will just not do.
    keano_afc wrote: »
    Didn't have them playing "the West Ham way". Which was obviously massively successful before he came to the club.

I take it you missed the first half of the season ?

He did have them play good football, but then decided enough was enough and completely changed it around, with the known results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,529 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

If they hire redknapp again I hope they get relegated.

• Advertisement

If he doesn't land any job and hangs around for a while, and things to pear shaped for Ireland, given his ties here he might be an effective international manager given the players we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Another solid job done by big Sam. His future is brighter than West Ham's imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Meh, he can be a top half manager as much as they can be a top half team, both a similar chance of happening. Sounds more negative than i mean it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Think Derby might be a good fit for him if rumours of McLaren going are true but he has said he's taking a long break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

pavb2 wrote: »
    Think Derby might be a good fit for him if rumours of McLaren going are true but he has said he's taking a long break

Paul Clement meant to be taking over Derby, talk of Bilic going to West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Is Allardici finally going to get his Madrid move?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

eagle eye wrote: »
    There has been rumours circulating for a couple of months that he has been offered a lot of money to take the Fulham job.

I am a Fulham supporter myself and we were told that he would be taking over from Kit once the PL season ends. This has been doing the rounds for months now and the sources were guys who are very well clued in.

Personally, I would be delighted to see him in charge next season and I think he has the ability to take us back up within three years. A massive rebuild is needed at CC first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Allardyce leaves West Ham after four seasons in charge having guided them back to the Premier league in his first season there and having achieved his highest Premier league points total with them in the season just gone. He also leaves them qualified for the Europa League which will be their first appearance in European competition since the 2006/07 season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Allardyce leaves West Ham after four seasons in charge having guided them back to the Premier league in his first season there and having achieved his highest Premier league points total with them in the season just gone. He also leaves them qualified for the Europa League which will be their first appearance in European competition since the 2006/07 season.

He did a great job to be fair to him. I think West Ham could be in for a tough time next season. Wouldn't surprise me if they ended up in the bottom third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

How good would it be for the neutral of Bielsa got the West Ham job?

Yep he did a great job. He did exactly what he was brought in for. Get us back up and consolidate. He is great for that.
    BUT...WHU are now trying to take the next step. They are investing heavily and moving into a bigger stadium. They are trying to become a top 7/8 team. Allardyce is not the right person for this. That much has been obvious for a long time to everyone who takes any more than a passing interest in WHU. Maybe he was a long time ago with Bolton but the Premiership has changed a lot since then.

Of course, this is a huge gamble and WHU being WHU, it will probably blow up in our faces as usual. But hey...it'll be interesting anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement